Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at building a really cheap desktop just for productivity. This will be primarily used for our business using ebay, spreadsheets, word, and to power 2-3 monitors. The goal is to build something that is as cheap as possible, but still be able to run these programs. At home I have a i7 setup for gaming and then another i3 setup, on the i3 we use that for the productivity that I mentioned above but plan to keep that system at home.

Can I get by with a Ryzen 1200 or should I look at an i3?

·
PC Evangelist
46,969 Posts
With Ryzen you need a GPU but on the other hand, you better wait for 2200G which has Vega 8 build in and is the same price as 1200. Overall a better CPU then i3 and current 1200.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With Ryzen you need a GPU but on the other hand, you better wait for 2200G which has Vega 8 build in and is the same price as 1200. Overall a better CPU then i3 and current 1200.
I would be getting a GPU, either a 1050 or RX550 or 560 since I want to drive up to 3 monitors without an issue.

·
Amiga 600
665 Posts
I would be getting a GPU, either a 1050 or RX550 or 560 since I want to drive up to 3 monitors without an issue.
I would wait for reviews, should only be a week, the 2400g looks like great value.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would wait for reviews, should only be a week, the 2400g looks like great value.
When is the 2200g supposed to release since I can't wait much longer than 2 weeks since I would need to get a system up and running?

·
PC Evangelist
46,969 Posts
Thanks! I will keep an eye out for it then if its out on the 12th. Will I be able to get away with 8GB RAM in this system? Will this APU drive 3 monitors with no issues?
Technically yes. You just have to make sure the MB that you get has the output.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,585 Posts
Technically yes. You just have to make sure the MB that you get has the output.
Thanks! I will keep an eye out for it then if its out on the 12th. Will I be able to get away with 8GB RAM in this system? Will this APU drive 3 monitors with no issues?
Also don't forget software drivers able to FULLY support this new APU edition.

That is usually the biggest let down in the very beginning hence best to wait till the software develops sufficiently, before it starts operating at it's best.

That is how AMD operates with ALL of it's previous APU's editions.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also don't forget software drivers able to FULLY support this new APU edition.

That is usually the biggest let down in the very beginning hence best to wait till the software develops sufficiently, before it starts operating at it's best.

That is how AMD operates with ALL of it's previous APU's editions.
That is the issue, I hope it doesn't take AMD forever to optimize the drivers since I do need to get the PC up and running within the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't be doing any kind of gaming on this system, what is the lowest speed RAM that I can get away with on a 2200g? I've been trying to find RAM compatibility charts but not finding ones. I was considering just going with one stick of 8gb DDR4 2100, would that be sufficient or do you need to go 16gb and higher frequency?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,036 Posts
You can go with a single stick of 8 but I'd go with a faster stick then 2133 if you can. Which shouldn't cost much more. Maybe some 2666?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can go with a single stick of 8 but I'd go with a faster stick then 2133. Which shouldn't cost much more. Maybe some 2666?
Thanks! I will get a 2666 Mhz 8gb stick then, I won't be gaming on this and just using it for productivity driving 2 monitors. These RAM prices in general are totally insane, but we've known that for quite sometime. LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts