Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, is the 2nd gen ryzen as temperamental as the 1st gen? For example using the incorrect power plan to messing with HTEP and all the other weird little kinks that came up during its time.

I have a 2700x on a x370 taichi with 2x8 3200/14 flare x. Im running "stock" everything besides 103 bclk, 3200 XMP with forcing ram to run 1T and pbo on.

Ive tried to do some research on my own but the info is all over the place at best. For my 1700 I had the ryzen power plan but is that still a help with the 2xxx series? Are the amd chip set drivers needed or is everything under my motherboard bios?

Any other performance tips that I could be missing? Nothing like changing ram timings but just simple bios changes and what not.

Thank in advance.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hello everyone, is the 2nd gen ryzen as temperamental as the 1st gen? For example using the incorrect power plan to messing with HTEP and all the other weird little kinks that came up during its time.

I have a 2700x on a x370 taichi with 2x8 3200/14 flare x. Im running "stock" everything besides 103 bclk, 3200 XMP with forcing ram to run 1T and pbo on.

Ive tried to do some research on my own but the info is all over the place at best. For my 1700 I had the ryzen power plan but is that still a help with the 2xxx series? Are the amd chip set drivers needed or is everything under my motherboard bios?

Any other performance tips that I could be missing? Nothing like changing ram timings but just simple bios changes and what not.

Thank in advance.
You will need to change minimum processor state to 20% under whichever power plan you use. That's under processor power management in advanced settings. That allows PBO to operate through its entire range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need to change minimum processor state to 20% under whichever power plan you use. That's under processor power management in advanced settings. That allows PBO to operate through its entire range.
Thank you

·
DRAM Obsessor
1,033 Posts

Thank in advance.
While what he says is somewhat true, you can change it to 5, 10, 20, etc but will only down clock to what the PStates values set by the system are. Usually around 2200mhz at .8v or something to that effect but that changes with bclk so youd see slightly more during downvolting. Also dont use XMP timings, they are trash and there is much more performance to be had setting timings yourself. You should force CStates to enabled so that downvolting always happens, if set to Auto then it could go to Off and no downvolting will occur. At 103 bclk with PBO set to Enabled and Scalar at 10x and offset voltage at around .75v or so I would see 4.45ghz peak all core with voltages around 1.55v for short durations, 1-4 core boost at 4.5ghz. When PBO is enabled and not left to Auto it sets the board limits and lets you push farther but just beware of having that high of a bclk with XFR/PBO it will boost higher than you think. It mostly goes according to your temps and what it seemed like to me was that your maximum core multiplier was determined on boot according to temps I saw in the range of 41x-43.5x max. 43.5x with 103 bclk is nearly 4.5ghz but the boost is limited with the offset voltages. Usually .5v is max most will want to use without VERY good cooling. You can also go into the PState settings and put the EDC throttling to Enabled and that will make it throttle less. Also, I saw a pretty big difference from Performance Enhancer 3 to Performance Enhancer 4. With 3 it seemed to limit the multiplier to 42x roughly during max boost with the machine running quite cool. If you are wanting pretty good performance and not too high clocks try 102 bclk, PE4, offset voltage +.500v (or less if you dont feel comfortable with the voltages), PBO enabled, Scalar 10x (or less if you prefer), CStates enabled, Streaming Stores Enabled, HW prefetcher Enabled, and set those memory timings from XMP to something more efficient and maybe trying to OC to 3400 at least if you are using B-Die Sticks. I probably left something out but thats the gist of what ive observed while running my setup. Memory timings will affect Single and Multicore performance drastically so testing various setups with different timings is ideal for different types of cpu performance. Good place to check out memory timing setups is 1usmus DRAM Calculator thread. Tons of useful info in the software and the thread itself for any type of memory you can think of.

If you are skeptical at all just do it this way, set everything besides the bclk and run it and see what boost looks like. Then with offset voltage still at whatever you have it at, start increasing the bclk a little at a time until it is no longer stable. Then either dial the clock back if you are satisfied and voltages are ok or bump Offset voltage up and keep going. That way you can see what your cpu will do and you find what makes you comfortable. The bclk is pretty much your tuner in XFR/PBO OC since it seems to be limited at 43.5x multiplier with XFR. As far as power plan, I have never had a problem setting it to whatever but I use High Performance Power Plan but change "minimum processor state" to 10 or 20% then im good to go. Also may want to disable fast startup in the Advanced Power Options too and from what I have seen, enabling HPET in windows didnt give me any positive results with my 2700x.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While what he says is somewhat true, you can change it to 5, 10, 20, etc but will only down clock to what the PStates values set by the system are. Usually around 2200mhz at .8v or something to that effect but that changes with bclk so youd see slightly more during downvolting. Also dont use XMP timings, they are trash and there is much more performance to be had setting timings yourself. You should force CStates to enabled so that downvolting always happens, if set to Auto then it could go to Off and no downvolting will occur. At 103 bclk with PBO set to Enabled and Scalar at 10x and offset voltage at around .75v or so I would see 4.45ghz peak all core with voltages around 1.55v for short durations, 1-4 core boost at 4.5ghz. When PBO is enabled and not left to Auto it sets the board limits and lets you push farther but just beware of having that high of a bclk with XFR/PBO it will boost higher than you think. It mostly goes according to your temps and what it seemed like to me was that your maximum core multiplier was determined on boot according to temps I saw in the range of 41x-43.5x max. 43.5x with 103 bclk is nearly 4.5ghz but the boost is limited with the offset voltages. Usually .5v is max most will want to use without VERY good cooling. You can also go into the PState settings and put the EDC throttling to Enabled and that will make it throttle less. Also, I saw a pretty big difference from Performance Enhancer 3 to Performance Enhancer 4. With 3 it seemed to limit the multiplier to 42x roughly during max boost with the machine running quite cool. If you are wanting pretty good performance and not too high clocks try 102 bclk, PE4, offset voltage +.500v (or less if you dont feel comfortable with the voltages), PBO enabled, Scalar 10x (or less if you prefer), CStates enabled, Streaming Stores Enabled, HW prefetcher Enabled, and set those memory timings from XMP to something more efficient and maybe trying to OC to 3400 at least if you are using B-Die Sticks. I probably left something out but thats the gist of what ive observed while running my setup. Memory timings will affect Single and Multicore performance drastically so testing various setups with different timings is ideal for different types of cpu performance. Good place to check out memory timing setups is 1usmus DRAM Calculator thread. Tons of useful info in the software and the thread itself for any type of memory you can think of.

If you are skeptical at all just do it this way, set everything besides the bclk and run it and see what boost looks like. Then with offset voltage still at whatever you have it at, start increasing the bclk a little at a time until it is no longer stable. Then either dial the clock back if you are satisfied and voltages are ok or bump Offset voltage up and keep going. That way you can see what your cpu will do and you find what makes you comfortable. The bclk is pretty much your tuner in XFR/PBO OC since it seems to be limited at 43.5x multiplier with XFR. As far as power plan, I have never had a problem setting it to whatever but I use High Performance Power Plan but change "minimum processor state" to 10 or 20% then im good to go. Also may want to disable fast startup in the Advanced Power Options too and from what I have seen, enabling HPET in windows didnt give me any positive results with my 2700x.
Thank you! I live in California so the stock cooler isnt helping much during the summer, that alone probably kills a lot of the xfr and pbo potential. I will definitely go and tinker with your info. Are you running an AIO?

·
DRAM Obsessor
1,033 Posts
Thank you! I live in California so the stock cooler isnt helping much during the summer, that alone probably kills a lot of the xfr and pbo potential. I will definitely go and tinker with your info. Are you running an AIO?
Yes and it is in my sig below but I do something to make it cooler better. I filter and route one of my A/C vents into the radiator and pc case bringing temps down to around 9-11c on average ambient inside the case. Cpu idles 14c and never hits 65c even during heavy loads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes and it is in my sig below but I do something to make it cooler better. I filter and route one of my A/C vents into the radiator and pc case bringing temps down to around 9-11c on average ambient inside the case. Cpu idles 14c and never hits 65c even during heavy loads.
Missed your sig somehow. Nice setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts