Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first AMD build in like 5 years. Last time I built an AMD system was an Athlon X2. Needless to say the release of Ryzen peaked my interest and I needed a living room PC anyhow. I had some parts laying around from unused customer builds and random leftovers so I threw together a Ryzen 3 build on the cheap.

My part list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Black PCIe 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Scorpio Blue 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $300.00)
Case: Apevia - X-QBER-WHT MicroATX Desktop Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Thermaltake - TR2 500W ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($15.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Deepcool - XFAN 120 L/W 65.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech - Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($19.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $591.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-16 09:55 EDT-0400

A few photos of the build of course:

The Wraith Stealth is a lot beefier in person than I expected, nice job red team.

A plain Jane non modular PSU + terrible cable management skills = ugly. But the PSU was free so...

Front shot.

Fired it up and installed GTA V right away. Man does it look amazing at 4k!

Got it to 3.75GHz without touching anything but the multiplier. Memory is running at 2400 with no issues either. Thinking I'll try for 3.8~3.9GHz at some point with a little more voltage. Using the cheap fan I bought as puller in the top of the case for now.
Does anyone know if the Wraith Stealth cooler is a factory push or pull config? Been looking online to verify and couldn't find any info.

Well, this my entry into the AMD ecosystem and also 4k TV gaming. Looking forward to comments/suggestions and learning some new tips/tricks!

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
God I love cheap builds! Good job.

The only thing is that Ryzen 3 would limit your GPU gaming performance but if you don't care about that, then this is perfect!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

God I love cheap builds! Good job.

The only thing is that Ryzen 3 would limit your GPU gaming performance but if you don't care about that, then this is perfect!
Thanks! So far GTA V sits at about 55~41 fps on mostly High settings at 4k. I can see by the RivaTuner overlay that the GTX 1070 is utilized at about 85%~90% while the CPU Cores are at about 90% as well so I am sure that I am bottlenecked even at 4k. I'll try for 3.85~3.9Ghz and see if that helps some. Maybe might try OC'ing the RAM a bit too?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it "stable" At 3.9Ghz with a 1.32 Vcore last night. Max temps during a Prime95 blend run topped out at 80 degrees with the stock cooler. Gaming temps hang around 66. Now to see if I can get the RAM to 2666 or above.
smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts