Overclock.net banner
61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Without a +50 offset they will never reach 5 ghz, since max frequency is 4950 for 5900x, compared to the 5.05 of 5950x.
This is normally correct, however Hydra ignores that aspect of bios and will push beyond 5ghz if its able. I spoke to someone else who uses it and I may need to rerun diagnosis at 1400mv rather than 1375 - as this person said her 5900x was doing the same as mine at default, but when upped to 1400mv she hit 5ghz+ on 4 cores. I'll try that later and report back with other finds as well as we go.

Hoping not to have to swap this one out, but her news this morning was encouraging.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quick update: my initial thoughts on this chip being a potato were inaccurate. It was chalked up to my not understanding the power differences between my previous 5950x that is being RMA'd and this new 5900x.

This chip is a Golden/Golden sample after finishing Hydra diagnostics - and further testing with PBO + CO through BIOS confirmed that it is indeed a beast. I've run it through the full battery of testing and have dialed in the PPT/TDC/EDC values to maximize performance. I used the Hydra diagnostics to obtain the baseline CO undervolting values for Bios - and entered those into bios last night. I ran corecycler on SSE - every FFT size on each core - and it passed with flying colors overnight.

I also just got a Legendary score in both Timespy and Port Royal for the first time with this setup - never could my 5950x do that.

I'm currently running 3800c14 heavily overclocked/tweaked b-die RAM and 1900IF. I passed 5 iterations of TM5 anta777, OCCT 1 hour large/medium/small, y-cruncher full battery 10 iterations, and the previously mentioned core cycler. Everything is rock solid with zero errors in event viewed or HWinfo64.

Now that I know my previous RAM OC is fully stable on this chip, I will begin trying to push past 1900IF today. Not holding my breath, as we all know that's probably less than a 1% chance without whea 19 in windows. We shall see.

Very happy with this chip, and I'm glad to be able to mine on my graphics card again when I'm not using my PC without crashing within hours...

I've already started the RMA process on the 5950x. I'll report back as I continue testing of this B2 chip and trying to push IF further.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My 5600G is 2201 for those 4 digits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any info on 2149PGT stepping on 5950x
I assume this would be B2 but you'll have to check. I just got my replacement 5950x in from the RMA and its 2141PGS which I assume will be B0.

About to install it and test it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are small number of R5 5600 reviews and those I found are 90% B0 stepping:

Potentially can 5600 also be affected by WHEA 18 error or because it has lower clock it is free of that? In this older post on AMD community forum it says that all 5600x B0 have design flaw which produces WHEA errors :

·
Registered
758 Posts
There are small number of R5 5600 reviews and those I found are 90% B0 stepping:

Potentially can 5600 also be affected by WHEA 18 error or because it has lower clock it is free of that? In this older post on AMD community forum it says that all 5600x B0 have design flaw which produces WHEA errors :

I only get WHEA 18 if I set my negative CO too aggressive. I have never had issues when I ran stock. I bet 5600 is mostly 5600X that didn`t live up to it`s potential.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I confirm my 5900x 2145sus is a b2.

Seems to boost worst than my b0, getting 4925 , the b0 4950, but seems to get lower temps.

Is possible know the quality of the sample? with b0 ctr 2.1 says its silver, B2 isnt supported in ctr, have to use hydra, during the diagnostic over step 8 i get and error pci mutex or similar and stuck on infinite loop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I confirm my 5900x 2145sus is a b2.

Seems to boost worst than my b0, getting 4925 , the b0 4950, but seems to get lower temps.

Is possible know the quality of the sample? with b0 ctr 2.1 says its silver, B2 isnt supported in ctr, have to use hydra, during the diagnostic over step 8 i get and error pci mutex or similar and stuck on infinite loop.
That error is monitoring or rgb software intferring with the bus and cancelling Hydra. Icue, armory crate, aquasuite, or any other monitoring software or fan controller software can cause that, unfortunately. Make sure all of that software is disabled on boot.

Make sure with Hydra you use LLC auto - as that can impact the rating. Hydra will give both CCDs a rating. Mine gave a rating of gold/gold and 4.04/4.04 efficiency. It can also hold 2000 fclk on the IMC with zero whea 19 - so I decided its a great sample and kept it. Most importantly it seems fully stable as I've been mining and gaming on my machine for nearly a week uptime now with no reboots. I do not run Hydra, I only used it to give me baseline CO values for PBO2 to work off of and I did the rest through bios.

My replacement 5950x from the rma was a total potato. It was B0 and was a bronze/bronze rating. Couldn't even hit over 4850mhz stable on CCD1 with Hydra testing. Unreal a 5950x could be that bad. I'm selling that dud and keeping the 5900x B2. Very happy with it as it runs cooler and boosts higher in games than my old 5950x that was platinum/gold rating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been keen on a new 5950X with B2 stepping, but i would be gutted if it had like bronze status or so on the cores. That is very wierd since B1 5950X always seemed to have the best Silicon?, Or not? With that said i have a 5600X B1 (that thing is amazing, to bad +200Mhz is max now) and a 5900X B1, they are both gold. With PBO+BCLK i broke 24K in C23 with the 5900X the other day, and it also went over 5Ghz all core in lighter workload, so Zen4, Zen 3 was already there;) Not fully stable, but still working on it. So to "replace this"Bronze stuff is out of the question.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have been keen on a new 5950X with B2 stepping, but i would be gutted if it had like bronze status or so on the cores. That is very wierd since B1 5950X always seemed to have the best Silicon?, Or not? With that said i have a 5600X B1 (that thing is amazing, to bad +200Mhz is max now) and a 5900X B1, they are both gold. With PBO+BCLK i broke 24K in C23 with the 5900X the other day, and it also went over 5Ghz all core in lighter workload, so Zen4, Zen 3 was already there;) Not fully stable, but still working on it. So to "replace this"Bronze stuff is out of the question.
I had a B0 5950X that degraded from getting to throttle temps for a few minutes while testing it. It was replaced under warranty, and I have a B2 now. It clocks higher. R23 is pushing over 29k multi-core, which is better than what the B0 did. It would do 4.4 Ghz all-core, this one is doing 4.5-4.6 with stock volts and PBO. I'm inclined to think the later stepping may be the better chip, or else I had a real dud.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't received my CPU yet, but just wanted to ask a question about the different factories that these chips come from?

Has anyone noticed any trends in terms of China vs Malaysia and Saratoga vs Texas? In terms of which chips tend to be more likely to be better? I know it's random and a lottery but I mean being trends despite that. For example.. based on what I've read, it seems like Chinese chiplets might often be better than Malaysian ones. SUS vs PGT for example. It doesn't mean that a PGT chip can't be good, just that it's more likely that a SUS chip will be good. In my own experience, I've had good experiences with SUS chips. Where as.. I've seen PGT chips criticized occasionally as being more likely to be a dud.

Also.. based on this thread, there seems to be a lag.. in terms of when the B2 stepping switched over. SUS chips late October week 43 or 44.. but SUT chips.. mid or late December. Around week 48-52. The earliest reported case of SUT in this thread is a week 1 2022 chip.

What confuses me is that both of these chips are from Chinese factory. So does that mean that Texas was using old stock that they had stockpiled.. and Saratoga had ran out earlier, or is it possible that a week 48 SUT chip is using a B2 chiplet.. but with B0 firmware microcode? Becuse of the IO die, or the substrate or something? Am I missing something?

I'm confused how a November SUS chip can be B2, but a December SUT chip can be B0. Aren't they both using the same CPU chiplets that are sent from the Chinese factory and then assembled onto the CPU's substrate in Austin Texas or Saratoga Springs NY? Or have I missed something? How could a chip from the same Chinese factory being on B0 stepping, 7 weeks after SUS chips switched?

·
Registered
42 Posts
5950x 2142 B0 no noticeable differences in the substrate compared to a 5950x 2120 B0

61 - 80 of 131 Posts