Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just ticking me off, my 5800X is consistently underperforming, in CBR15 and CBR20 it is slower in multicore than my 3800X, and not performing where it should in single core

I am using a Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi with the latest BIOS
4x16GB sticks of DDR4 3333 CL16
NZXT Kraken X73
PBO Enabled.

Ryzen master shows it boosting to about 4.5GHz All core, and 4.6GHz single core

I don't know what the heck i have to do to actually have this thing to work properly I am sick of it being slower. I did get it to be better yesterday (only just a little) and then even better, but the scores where still too low, today its right back to being slow. I really shouldn't have to fiddle with a bazillion BIOS settings to get this thing to work properly or have the stars align when it comes to software. i just want the damn thing to work.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm sorry for your woes :-(. I'm waiting for my 5900x CPUs so I might have similar problem as you are. My mobo is tomahawk x570.

From my understanding the scores for r20 for 5800x should be around 620 and 6100.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed? maybe trying clearing CMOS / reset BIOS button/short pins (refer to your mobo's manual) I would start with stock settings (including PBO disabled). Other than XMP on your RAM.

Also is this fresh win10 install (October preferably)? Did you win10 crushed during some benchmarks, i.e. RAM, it can very easly corrupt your win10 install. Do you have the latest AMD drivers installed?

How are your temps? use latest hwinfo64 to monitor it. Also I'm sorry for stupid question, but did you check if there are other programs running in the background? i.e iCUE or Aura Sync or NZXT?

Just some random ideas.... Good Luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
outside of manual OCing I am also getting the best performance on my 5800X when all is set to stock, - enabling PBO in any shape or form or combination of settings gives me worse performance. Stock 5800x on my 570X-E mobo from asus is 6050 Multicore and 627 in singlecore R20.

Are your temps high under load?

C

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
outside of manual OCing I am also getting the best performance on my 5800X when all is set to stock, - enabling PBO in any shape or form or combination of settings gives me worse performance. Stock 5800x on my 570X-E mobo from asus is 6050 Multicore and 627 in singlecore R20.

Are your temps high under load?

C
Is PBO something you can change in the BIOS?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try disabling the “core performance boost“ in bios and run again.

do you hit 90 degrees on the CPU during benchmark?

c

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,887 Posts
Peanut gallery comment: What happens if you run your ram at stock speed/voltage? In (disable DOCP / XMP)

So a full stock benchmark

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check this video out. If I’m reading your original post right you said you have 4 16gb sticks. If so then they are probably dual rank. Drop two of the sticks and try again.

·
Gamer and overclocker !
1,605 Posts
I will receive my new rig soon with 5900x and asus rog strix x570-f gaming.

I found this interesting link understand and perform all OC modes for these CPU :

Maybe it can help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ill look at those videos later, turns out NZXT Cam doesn't support Ryzen 5000, I installed the beta of Cam and running tests.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to OC my RAM from 3333 to 3600, numbers do see a bit off (math says it should get 57600 MB/s on read, but still faster. I also cleaned up some old drivers and upated Windows, i can SOMETIMES get 5800-5900, just not consistent.

still have yet to look at those videos.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked at those videos and was able to enable PBO along with my RAM OC

apparently my low scores where happening when Ryzen master was open, closing it and I got my best R15 and R20 scores

my R20 isn't quite as high as some others, but i am pretty happy with it

·
Gamer and overclocker !
1,605 Posts
I looked at those videos and was able to enable PBO along with my RAM OC

apparently my low scores where happening when Ryzen master was open, closing it and I got my best R15 and R20 scores

my R20 isn't quite as high as some others, but i am pretty happy with it
don’t forget that PBO will give you best results if very good cooling.
PBO is interesting for single thread application and low load applications.

as soon as you have multithreaded applications, recent games, manual IOC is better in terms of performance (But you will need to increase Vcore).

did you try DOS overclock ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
don’t forget that PBO will give you best results if very good cooling.
PBO is interesting for single thread application and low load applications.

as soon as you have multithreaded applications, recent games, manual IOC is better in terms of performance (But you will need to increase Vcore).

did you try DOS overclock ?
im pretty happy with what I got, i might tweak PBO a bit more (scalar, fmax enhancer, +200, etc) but i'm really not too concerned with a manual OC

i don't even know what a DOS overclock is

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you clear CMOS (either with jumper or by removing the battery for a moment) and then Load Optimized Defaults as suggested earlier in the thread?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts