Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Can someone give me an idea of the average tempature when the 3900x and 3900xt are underload while gaming?
I play @2560x1440 @144fps. Ill be upgrading from my 6700k overclocked @4.5ghz.

And will water cooling be necessary for the 3900x? My currrent water cooler is chunky and has compability issues on pc part picker with newer
cases. My current water cooling https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-H105-240mm-Extreme-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060016-WW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends on your cooling solution, I've used a Noctua NH-D15 and a Corsair H115i on my 3900X at 1440p and 144fps, both performed very similarly. Under most gaming loads the CPU seems to cap out at about 65C, Cinebench will push it to about 75C over time. I run the pump on quiet and the fans at 700RPM for silence, so I'm sure you can eek out better thermals if you're happier with more noise. The included Wraith cooler will adequately keep the CPU below the thermal maximum (95C) and I would expect in the 70s-80s for gaming loads, with mid to high 80s running cinebench and other CPU intensive programs with moderately loud fan speeds.

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,554 Posts
Depends on your cooling solution, I've used a Noctua NH-D15 and a Corsair H115i on my 3900X at 1440p and 144fps, both performed very similarly. Under most gaming loads the CPU seems to cap out at about 65C, Cinebench will push it to about 75C over time. I run the pump on quiet and the fans at 700RPM for silence, so I'm sure you can eek out better thermals if you're happier with more noise. The included Wraith cooler will adequately keep the CPU below the thermal maximum (95C) and I would expect in the 70s-80s for gaming loads, with mid to high 80s running cinebench and other CPU intensive programs with moderately loud fan speeds.

The Prism is not enough for a 3900X. It gets loud even on a 3700X.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Prism is not enough for a 3900X. It gets loud even on a 3700X.
Sure it'll be loud, but the CPU will at least run on it below the thermal throttle assuming you don't limit the fan curve for when the temps get to high levels. I used a Wraith briefly on the 3700X and whilst kinda loud it didn't have trouble keeping the CPU in the mid 70s under load, AMD's coolers pale in comparison to most decent aftermarket options but they're still fairly substantial for something that comes in the box. If overclocking isn't your intention, and you don't mind the noise, the stock cooler will work.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't know what's the magic some people do but my 3900x sample playing warzone bounces a lot all the time in between 55-64C always high performance power plan.
Cpu is completely stock. 3x360 rads w/ a RVII in the loop. 1440p/144hz.

Edit

5ghz, you won't

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,554 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts