Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using an old EK block with an AM4 kit, I'm wondering if upgrading to a block with higher fin density or built for ryzen specifically is actually worth the money.

Will there be a noticeable difference in temperatures with a newer block or am I looking at a 1-3C temperature difference and negligible results?

·
Been around...
597 Posts
Without knowing which CPU you're using, it's not possible to give anything but generic advice. For a 3950x or 3900x, I'd suggest an Optimus block. However, that might not be the best suggestion for another chip design.

• Rep+
Reactions: ThrashZone

·
Registered
265 Posts
It depends on whether your ccd's and io die is covered, since you say it is an old block, its likely not the best for AM4, how much practical difference you can expect in delta's is impossible to say do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without knowing which CPU you're using, it's not possible to give anything but generic advice. For a 3950x or 3900x, I'd suggest an Optimus block. However, that might not be the best suggestion for another chip design.
It depends on whether your ccd's and io die is covered, since you say it is an old block, its likely not the best for AM4, how much practical difference you can expect in delta's is impossible to say do.
using the 3900x with an ek supremacy block.
just wondering if there would be a realistic temperature difference or more of a negligible 1-3C.

The Ek block is doing a good job under load and high voltages, I'll try and look for some old vs new block comparisons tomorrow. Been busy whole week and havent had chance to do much searching

·
Been around...
597 Posts
using the 3900x with an ek supremacy block.
just wondering if there would be a realistic temperature difference or more of a negligible 1-3C.
I don't know a factual answer to that. There's a dedicated "Optimus" thread over in the water cooling section of this forum, and many active AM4 users who can give you a good answer. There's at least one person in that thread that tried 4-5 different blocks on the same system to document the actual temperature differences. My understanding is that the optimus blocks does more for 3900x/3950x than it does for a typical intel chip due to the ryzen chiplet design and the fact that the optimus blocks have "fins" covering much more area (when compared to any other AM4 waterblock -- with the possible exception of the EK magnitude.)

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That thread is too much for people to sort through. Its really dependent on your block you are comparing too. I think the aquacomputer one with the plate adjustment gets same results as optimus where the chiplets are covered now. Optimus was only 1-2degrees cooler than the aquacomputer. You can work out the difference using that block as measurement.
My guess your looking at 3-5degrees.

Also silicon lottery has to be accounted for. You might have to sand down the ihs like blackzaru did. He got the ccx core difference down to 0.5degrees. I got ones with 5degrees before

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That thread is too much for people to sort through. Its really dependent on your block you are comparing too. I think the aquacomputer one with the plate adjustment gets same results as optimus where the chiplets are covered now. Optimus was only 1-2degrees cooler than the aquacomputer. You can work out the difference using that block as measurement.
My guess your looking at 3-5degrees.

Also silicon lottery has to be accounted for. You might have to sand down the ihs like blackzaru did. He got the ccx core difference down to 0.5degrees. I got ones with 5degrees before
Thanks, looks like many of the blocks are sold out on retailers too. I've been thinking about just rotating the supremacy vertically. Taking the loop apart is a major pain and time, in that regard i'd much rather put a newer block.

Not much to be gained on a black friday type of sale with watercooling parts is there? I do have one chiplet that runs about ~5C hotter under load, I'm going to guess if I rotate my block that they will be even, but if I dropped a few degrees under that with a new block I would be very happy. At this point I'm not even sure I have a problem needing a solution lol :cautious:

·
Been around...
597 Posts
At this point I'm not even sure I have a problem needing a solution lol :cautious:
Heh... I always create problems that a new toy will help solve. My computer is too loud, so I need another radiator. Putting that new radiator in really reduced the space inside my case... I bet that's impacting airflow. I need a new case. The new case looks really empty... I need a new reservoir. I'm getting old and developing memory problems - time to buy new RAM (or did I already do that one? I forget.)

Seriously, though, if it's not broke, don't fix it. By "broke", I mean that either it's actually not functioning in some way (such as the nickel plating starting to flake), or it's not working out in your system for some reason (such as your running into temp limits on an O/C.)

• Rep+

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heh... I always create problems that a new toy will help solve. My computer is too loud, so I need another radiator. Putting that new radiator in really reduced the space inside my case... I bet that's impacting airflow. I need a new case. The new case looks really empty... I need a new reservoir. I'm getting old and developing memory problems - time to buy new RAM (or did I already do that one? I forget.)

Seriously, though, if it's not broke, don't fix it. By "broke", I mean that either it's actually not functioning in some way (such as the nickel plating starting to flake), or it's not working out in your system for some reason (such as your running into temp limits on an O/C.)
really appreciate this, helps when you hear it from somebody else. what you described feels exactly like the journey :ROFLMAO:

·
Been around...
597 Posts
really appreciate this, helps when you hear it from somebody else. what you described feels exactly like the journey :ROFLMAO:
I'm glad it helps. If you want, I can sell you an AM4 EK Velocity RGB. It's newer than your supremacy and it has pretty LED's. Everyone knows that RGB lights make a computer ran faster, cooler, grants better overclocks, etc. Some even insist that good case lighting can increase your sex life!

Although, to be completely honest, I think it actually performs worse than the Supremacy EVO (not sure which Supremacy you have.) Oh, and my wife finds the lighting distracting, so that other claim isn't accurate either.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm glad it helps. If you want, I can sell you an AM4 EK Velocity RGB. It's newer than your supremacy and it has pretty LED's. Everyone knows that RGB lights make a computer ran faster, cooler, grants better overclocks, etc. Some even insist that good case lighting can increase your sex life!

Although, to be completely honest, I think it actually performs worse than the Supremacy EVO (not sure which Supremacy you have.) Oh, and my wife finds the lighting distracting, so that other claim isn't accurate either.
I have discussed this with other but i feel only way to improve temps if you can literally direct die contact and complete redesign of cpu block cooling. The water cooling vs air results show this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts