Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I have to post here?
biggrin.gif

I am thinking about buying a new system. I'm in Canada - the deals and prices suck, okay?
smile.gif
So, before sending me links to parts from 'newegg.com' or the like, I need Canadian sites or at least, any vendors in which there won't be exorbitant shipping or import duties.
smile.gif

I'm kidding a bit there... I think the main issue is deciding among these choices.

I think I narrowed it down, though. Does this sound good: I was thinking about upgrade path - it can be Kaby Lake because I don't change systems very often so an i7-7700k would be fine for later on. However, I was wondering if it's better to start off with a budget with the current gen. (even if the upgrade path isn't very extensive - looking at you, Coffee Lake).

The only other idea I had was to go with the cheapest mobo/cpu (for e.g., G4650 and a B250 mobo) and then sell them later on ebay and either choose Ryzen or Coffee Kake when they release all the choices (meaning ALL the motherboards, in particular, the budget Coffee Lake ones so I can have a wider selection). Also, Ryzen will come out with Ryzen '2?' and I keep reading that the socket will be supported until 2020 - which means there will be some (refresh?) processors to choose from, too? Perhaps, processors like the R5 1600 will go down in price?

I know I'm in 'OC' but I don't necessarily need to. At least, for now, while choosing a budget build, I will just go with a good price/performance combo and then I plan on upgrading the cpu (at least) later and I can pick an unlocked or overclockable chip then.

So, what to go with? I'm considering these options:

R3 1200 and B350 mobo
G4560 and B250 (with this choice, I'll either plan on going with an i7 cpu later or I'll sell the two parts - and I'll have memory/ssd/psu etc. etc. so I'll just need a mobo/cpu for Coffee Lake or Ryzen)
i3-8100 and just wait..... until Jan. 2018? Or.... I'll bite my lip and buy a Z370 mobo - the cheapest one is around $160 Canadian. Ouch. I believe this is the most expensive option.

Okay, what do I do with my system, you ask?
multipurpose - I always like to have the option of gaming.... I talk to quite a few gamers and they are always encouraging me.
smile.gif

I definitely like having a system that isn't too difficult to cool. I would like parts with low power and temps to start with - although, I guess there's always to cool stuff down.

I plan on using Windows 10 (I don't have it yet) and Ubuntu 17.10 (I'm currently using Ubuntu 17.04, mostly, and sometimes, Windows 7).

I have looked at motherboards and these cheap ones have awful integrated audio (right? Realtek ALC887?!?) and Realtek LAN...oh well. I'll be looking at DACs and stuff like that - that's a topic and a whole host of questions for another thread in another section.

Since, this is about processor comparisons and discussions, which cpu and cpu path makes the most sense?

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
I'd go with a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 1700 system if you want an upgrade path along with a midrange motherboard such as the Asus X370 Prime Pro. You'd have an upgrade path until 2020 : Ryzen refresh comes in February.

If you have a 100+Hz monitor and a strong GPU then I'd probably buy a i5-8600K or i7-8700k if it dips in pricing. People with high refresh rate monitors are the primary target for Intel CPUs. If you have a GPU weaker than a GTX 1060 / RX 580 (1080p high or Ultra) or GTX 1070 / RX VEGA 56 (for 1440p+) then you will not benefit much from having a faster CPU most of the time.

There's no reason to buy a G4560 over a i3-8100.

Either way, unless you need to buy NOW, I'd wait for Ryzen refresh.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batboy View Post

Kaby still plenty man, superrrr man, easy clocks and ok fairly cool running.
Disagree. I would go for the Coffee Lake i5 8600k for a budget build. A 6 core processor with easy 5GHZ or higher overclocks for $260 is hard to beat.

And there are quite a few reasonably priced Z370 motherboards out now. You can get them for under $120.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustang View Post

Disagree. I would go for the Coffee Lake i5 8600k for a budget build. A 6 core processor with easy 5GHZ or higher overclocks for $260 is hard to beat.

And there are quite a few reasonably priced Z370 motherboards out now. You can get them for under $120.
A lot of those reasonably priced boards have iffy VRM's. Buying an unlocked part and putting it on a budget motherboard is kind of counter productive, isn't it?

If the OP's budget only allowed for an i3 8100, I don't think the i5 8600K is going to be an option any way.

Out of all of these options, the I3 1800 is the best for general use and gaming. A ryzen 1600 or 1700 would be a good choice too but I don't see that listed as one of the options, so 8100 it is.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Of all the options you're looking at, i3 8100 easily. It is the fastest CPU of the bunch, and it has a better short term upgrade path and maybe even long term if Ice Lake will be compatible with Z370.

·
Politically incorrect
9,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Of all the options you're looking at, i3 8100 easily. It is the fastest CPU of the bunch, and it has a better short term upgrade path and maybe even long term if Ice Lake will be compatible with Z370.
Considering Intel's actions the past two sockets it's uncertain Intel will make the next socket compatible with Z370. Some board makers are making their Z270 boards compatible with Z370 CPU's but that isn't Intel sanctioned and buying an i3 8100 to upgrade the CPU to the next 'generation' is a mistake. In this case it's better to buy an R3 and then upgrade to the successor of the R7's.

Why didn't you list the R5's as a possibility? They are far better options than the choices you've given us so far.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'd also say a low prized Ryzen system now

At least one can upgrade to Ryzen refresh later

With a Z390 having been spotted already I thinks it's unlikely that z370 has a very long life

That being said
If you don't mind being locked into coffee lake, then buying a Z board would be ok and upgrading to a 8700k a year later fine too

6 cores at 4.8-5Ghz should last quite some time as well

But still
If you're on a budget then I'd still prefer a lowly Ryzen now
Swapping cpu's isn't a lot of work after all
At least with Ryzen you don't need a high end board to get something out of the CPU (like for Intel the need for a Z board)

Or whatever could be available for black Friday as a deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Some board makers are making their Z270 boards compatible with Z370 CPU's
You wouldn't have a link handy

·
Politically incorrect
9,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2k View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

Some board makers are making their Z270 boards compatible with Z370 CPU's
You wouldn't have a link handy
http://www.overclock.net/t/1641451/tpu-asus-confirms-z270-platform-could-be-compatible-with-intel-coffee-lake-cpus/0_20

With Intel's practices buying a board and CPU in the hopes of upgrading the next generation is a fools hope, as long as people rush out to buy their next greatest they will continue to do this.

Edit: the link I posted says that there is basically no difference between Z270 and and 370 not that board makers will release BOIS updates for the Z270 platform.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm confused... I thought there was a 'pins problem' why Z270 sockets couldn't take Coffee Lake processors?

That would change things if you could that - it's a no brainer for Intel to do that since they would still make a lot of money on selling processors. They're probably worried about the sales of their Coffee Lake boards but the 200-series boards production would probably, gradually, wind down?

I think the suggestions are good but I don't consider the R5 series 'budget.' Not in Canada. Do you realize we have to pay $270 Cdn for the R5-1600? The price of that chip went up $40.

I'm looking at ideas for a quick budget build and when finances allow it, I'd either 'upgrade' or buy entirely new parts.

For e.g., I have these options: G4560 - $70 and B250(M) mobo $73 - I think I'd have to buy 2400mhz RAM but that's still pretty good - a mobo/cpu combo for $150 to get started.

The AMD option: R3 1200 $130 and B350(M) $77 (approx. $200 for cpu/mobo)

What's better out of those?

I was thinking of going for the cheapest option and then CL and Ryzen would be options down the line - as I would sell the Kaby Lake stuff....

The main components, imho, are SSD, RAM (although, I need help deciding whether speed is a factor in consideration - some mobos won't support higher speeds), PSU (I can re-use what I have but maybe it's too risky? I should invest in a new PSU? I will use the same gpu card I have until I determine what my 'final' build will be - I want something soon because my current system is getting long in the tooth and I want to upgrade RAM to 16gb and to use a SSD at optimum speeds. Right now, I can't do that or it doesn't make sense to invest it towards my ancient system.

Does any of that make sense? I hope so.
smile.gif

Edit: P.S. I kinda prefer a 'small' system so I thought maybe micro-ATX boards are the best compromise for still keeping prices down and enough options?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

I'd go with a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 1700 system if you want an upgrade path along with a midrange motherboard such as the Asus X370 Prime Pro. You'd have an upgrade path until 2020 : Ryzen refresh comes in February.

If you have a 100+Hz monitor and a strong GPU then I'd probably buy a i5-8600K or i7-8700k if it dips in pricing. People with high refresh rate monitors are the primary target for Intel CPUs. If you have a GPU weaker than a GTX 1060 / RX 580 (1080p high or Ultra) or GTX 1070 / RX VEGA 56 (for 1440p+) then you will not benefit much from having a faster CPU most of the time.

There's no reason to buy a G4560 over a i3-8100.

Either way, unless you need to buy NOW, I'd wait for Ryzen refresh.
ryzen 5 1400 over a i3 8100? Geforce gtx 1060 8gb ddr 3200

1 - 14 of 14 Posts