Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With R20 running on a 3600, I am seeing all cores hitting around 4050-4150MHz. This is expected and no issues there.

However, when I run R20 configured with a single-thread, I see single core hitting only around 3300MHz. Since there is not any other load, I would have though Precision Boost should increase the clock to over 4.2GHz.

What's going on? If I don't see higher clocks on low threaded loads, I think I should go to a manual all-cores overclock then.

·
Registered
56 Posts
turn off cool n' quiet

• Rep+
Reactions: DuckieHo

·
Premium Member
20,111 Posts
If it is a newer R5 3600, a good chance it can oc using less voltage. Try 4.3GHz with less than 1.32v. Of course, the cooler, ambient, motherboard, etc matter.

Add a bit of LLC.

• Rep+
Reactions: DuckieHo

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turn off cool n' quiet
Bingo. It's up to 4.2GHz on a single-thread.

Should I expect anything higher than that stated "Max Boost Clock" on single core?

If it is a newer R5 3600, a good chance it can oc using less voltage. Try 4.3GHz with less than 1.32v. Of course, the cooler, ambient, motherboard, etc matter.

Add a bit of LLC.
I got it from Microcenter and their stocks were just replenished so it probably is newer stock.

With an all-core boost of around 4.15GHz and single-core boost of only 4.2GHz, I probably try manual clocking.

With your voltage recommendation of 1.32v, what's the reasoning behind that value? I though the maximum safe voltage was 1.4v. Shouldn't I try to maximize my clocks first and then back down the voltage? Or is Ryzen thermally constrained and the extra voltage would hurt stability?

·
Premium Member
20,111 Posts
Bingo. It's up to 4.2GHz on a single-thread.

Should I expect anything higher than that stated "Max Boost Clock" on single core?

I got it from Microcenter and their stocks were just replenished so it probably is newer stock.

With an all-core boost of around 4.15GHz and single-core boost of only 4.2GHz, I probably try manual clocking.

With your voltage recommendation of 1.32v, what's the reasoning behind that value? I though the maximum safe voltage was 1.4v. Shouldn't I try to maximize my clocks first and then back down the voltage? Or is Ryzen thermally constrained and the extra voltage would hurt stability?
My yr old R5 3600 needs 1.33v using positive offset and at load it settles to 1.32v for 4.2GHz. The newer ones seem to need a lot less for same clock.

Check this thread.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1748470-r5-3600-4-6-ghz-1-32v-fab-march-20-a.html

·
Registered
417 Posts
Get good cooling and disable cool and quiet in the bios .. use Ryzen Master creator mode = boost overide cpu and move it to +200 and apply and test .. I have my Ryzen 3 3100 boosting to 4.1Ghz like that .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts