Overclock.net banner

681 - 700 of 1147 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
The problem is 68 is the max temp. The system lowers clock speeds to keep temps under 68. I shouldn't be throttling I don't think. Can anyone confirm? Be Quiet! claims I shouldn't be throttling with this cooler. I don't get it, It's hard to find good Data on thread ripper. Most tests I see people are not using PBO and just do manual overclocks or leave the system stock. If you manually overlclock does that lift the 68c barrier?
Here is a good link to explain how it works.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/09/28/threadripper_air_coolerssilver_arrow_tr4_vs_wraith_ripper/7

If you look at XSPC, that is a waterblock with a 480 rad and D5 pump. As you can see all coolers max at 68 degrees.

But if you look at the sustained, MHz, you will see that the watercooling solution maintains the highest clock speeds.

That is essentially how PBO is designed to work.

·
Invalid Media
2,146 Posts
J7SC,

Sheesh man!! Those memory scores are out of this world!! So jealous!

Those are fantastic scores!!!

Thanks goldenleaf :) Btw, love those electric blue colors in your build...I find that blue mesmerizing :bigeyedsm I even have been known to stare at Christmas lights in that hue for hours

BTW, what kind of PSU are you running ? ...a 2990x with 32c/64t and those speeds must have a stout setup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks goldenleaf :) Btw, love those electric blue colors in your build...I find that blue mesmerizing :bigeyedsm I even have been known to stare at Christmas lights in that hue for hours

BTW, what kind of PSU are you running ? ...a 2990x with 32c/64t and those speeds must have a stout setup.
I'm running a Corsair AX1600i. It gets the job done.

I have to make sure I up the VRM frequency and LLC to about 3 to make sure it doesn't crash. VCore was at 1.4V for the All-Core 4.2 GHz. Only thing was that it sounded like a jet engine. I'm going to run it with just PBO enabled.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Power/Plug-Type/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020087-NA

·
Invalid Media
2,146 Posts
I'm running a Corsair AX1600i. It gets the job done.

I have to make sure I up the VRM frequency and LLC to about 3 to make sure it doesn't crash. VCore was at 1.4V for the All-Core 4.2 GHz. Only thing was that it sounded like a jet engine. I'm going to run it with just PBO enabled.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Power/Plug-Type/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020087-NA

I have a couple of older Corsair AX1200is which have been running for years in two other builds > zero complaints. For the current build (to recap 2950x, 2x 2080 TI), I'm using an Antec HPC Platn. 1300 w which I also really like and have had for 5 years or so, but if I would run a 2990x w/ double the cores, I'd go for the Corsair 1600i as well - those 2080 TIs regularly slurp up 300w each, w/ peak at 375-380w each :sad-smile ...add a 32c/64t TR, and 1300w would not be quite enough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I need help guys, I have yet to find the answer anywhere. I have a new build with a 2920X, x399 phantom gaming 6, Dark rock pro TR4 cooler.

CPU is thermal throttling( at 68c) Under load within 60 seconds. PBO is on.
I've re-applied paste and re-installed the cooler 3 times. On the 3rd try things seemed to get slightly better. I spread the paste lightly with a credit card. Still Thermal throttles though.
I used the paste supplied with the cooler, and tried noctua paste. No difference. I'm really at a loss here, this cooler is rated for a 250w TDP with the 24 and 32 core CPU's yet cannot handle my lowly 2920x.
I had a EVGA CLC280 on here before and it throttled too- I bought the Dark rock TR4 thinking it would solve my issues, but I notice almost no change.

I'm starting to think my CPU is defective. Could there be an issue with the CPU itself? Bad thermal compound under the IHS?

Hi

Yes 68c is the issue here because once 68c is reached PBO will adjust the clocks so that the temp does not exceed 68c. So depending on your load that can be 3,8 or even 4,2ghz.
With a manual OC you can go higher on all cores and exceed the 68c temp limit.

Best thni however would be modded BIOS to raise the 68c limit ot somethin like 75c which still is safe enough for the CPU - but I havent seen such a mod yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anybody have experience from Corsair H115i Platinum RGB, is the cold plate large enough for TR4?

I have 2950X and ROG Zenith Extreme currently cooled by NH-U14S TR4 push-pull.

I'm looking better alternative for custom loop as the machine is part of a production set that is relocated quite often. I know that Asetek AIO sets are not an option and Enermax TR4 AIO are good, but their availability is not great in my area.

Thanks from your replies in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any news on a "new" beta or official BIOS? MSi webiste still has the 11-15-18 release date for the BIOS. Using the 1.31 beta bios (modded).

·
AMD overclocker/developer
1,624 Posts
Any chance we can get a modded bios 1.31 with some basic LED control - like on/off, set a color? Thanks!
meaningless, management is in windows

Any news on a "new" beta or official BIOS? MSi webiste still has the 11-15-18 release date for the BIOS. Using the 1.31 beta bios (modded).
unfortunately no news

Does anybody have experience from Corsair H115i Platinum RGB, is the cold plate large enough for TR4?

I have 2950X and ROG Zenith Extreme currently cooled by NH-U14S TR4 push-pull.

I'm looking better alternative for custom loop as the machine is part of a production set that is relocated quite often. I know that Asetek AIO sets are not an option and Enermax TR4 AIO are good, but their availability is not great in my area.

Thanks from your replies in advance!
The heat exchanger plays a big role, you will not get adequate temperatures (minimum difference of 10-15 degrees, if you compare 115 and for example Liqtech 240 TR4)

CB20

·
AMD overclocker/developer
1,624 Posts
OMG- nice, but now 15K looks so close :).
Also Be ready TR 3000 is officially coming in few month in 2019 :).
at the end of May, stores should receive the first batch of processors

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thanks for the info :) ...impressive results on the 2990WX and its cooling.

I am not the right guy to give advice about adding extra rads, though :whistle: ...my 2950x has dual XSPC 360 rads and dual MPC 655 pumps, and I am just leak testing the setup for dual Giga Aorus 2080 Ti WB which consists of a further three XSPC 360 rads and two more MPC 655...'in my defense', we had all the water-cooling equipment (with the exception of the Heatkiller IV TR4 block for the CPU) laying around doing nothing in the store room for years... Personally, I figure you can never have enough cooling ;)
I caved in and put my 2080ti FTW3's under water. Now my loop looks like this: Dual D5 pumps -> 2990WX with XSPC TR4 block --> XSPC EX360 rad ----> 1080 Phobia Nova ----> 2080ti's ---> XSPC RX360 -----> back to rez.

·
Invalid Media
2,146 Posts
I caved in and put my 2080ti FTW3's under water. Now my loop looks like this: Dual D5 pumps -> 2990WX with XSPC TR4 block --> XSPC EX360 rad ----> 1080 Phobia Nova ----> 2080ti's ---> XSPC RX360 -----> back to rez.

...sounds like a very nice setup ! :thumb: What with your 2x 2080 Tis (which combined can push approx 600w to 760w heat energy) plus a 2990WX, you should get some breathing-room on temps (depending of course also on case, fans etc).

·
Registered
135 Posts
MAXON CINEBENCH R20: Threadripper 2990WX results!

681 - 700 of 1147 Posts