Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have a NewCastle 3400+ (2.4ghz stock) amd64 cpu on a dfi lanparty 250gb UT mobo with stock heatsink/fan (AS5 on it), and by using everest, I can see that the CPU temperature reads ~47 degrees celcius idle, it fluctuates from ~40-50 degrees celcious, is this normal? I think it's a bit high...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
if those numbers are idle, then yes its about 10c or more higher than it should be. It could be possible that everest is using the wrong sensor for your cpu temp....use another monitoring program, then run Prime95 or superPI, and the temperature that increases the fastest, is your cpu.
It will jump about 5-10c right when it starts..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies and yea..those are idle temps... T_T and whats another good monitoring program out there?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
motherboard monitor, speedfan, smartguardian......those are the popular ones.
Everest is usually the best in figuring out the exact "label" for each temp, but sometimes can be wrong. Could in fact be your bios that needs to be updated.
See if you can report what the temp of the cpu is in your bios..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I've downloaded speedfan and looked for the temperature in the bios, they both show the correct values...also, is the voltage field in CPU-Z supposed to be changing from 1.488v to 1.504v?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
that's normal for the voltages to change like that. Your bios temperature and your desktop temperature should NOT be the same. Seems you have a faulty sensor or something else...You bios should report 5-10c higher than what speedfan reports.
This is due to your CPU not being "idle" when in the bios. Your cpu is under load in the bios.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

that's normal for the voltages to change like that. Your bios temperature and your desktop temperature should NOT be the same. Seems you have a faulty sensor or something else...You bios should report 5-10c higher than what speedfan reports.
This is due to your CPU not being "idle" when in the bios. Your cpu is under load in the bios.

hmm it showed 49-50C in bios..is that fine? well, I guess I'll have to get a better heatsink in order to see if the sensor is screwed up =\\ maybe it had something to do with the gel like thing that leaked from the motherboard that I asked about in my other thread..hmm

thanks for your reply, nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
well 49-50c is high for the bios. You are probably gettin max loads around 55c then, which isn't too bad. I would flash your bios to the most recent one if you haven't already updated it at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, I'm going to try to update bios today and see how it goes. btw, will a thermaltake big typhoon fit on a dfi lanparty ut 250gb motherboard?

Edit: hmm it idles at 43degrees celcious..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noob1ee

Edit: hmm it idles at 43degrees celcious..

Is that in the bios or with a program?

The big typhoon would probably fit, but you have to find out if it's supported on your motherboard. Most likely it is. I would head over to DFI-street.com and ask around for that board and it's compatability.
I'm going to say yes, but check anyways.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

Is that in the bios or with a program?

The big typhoon would probably fit, but you have to find out if it's supported on your motherboard. Most likely it is. I would head over to DFI-street.com and ask around for that board and it's compatability.
I'm going to say yes, but check anyways.

The 43degrees is from everest, and yes fortunately a typhoon fits on the board =D and thanks for all the help tytlyf, really appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.