Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I wonder, what is the difference in these socket types?

If its somewhat to my knowledge, 939, has that many pins for the socket, and AM2 has 940 pins.

So what is with this one pin difference.

I'm a little nubbish about AMD since I went from Socket A to Intel's Socket 478, and stayed for awhile.

So I need to be ejubacated.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTD92
View Post

AM2 supports DDR2 and the newer AMD quad core Phenom.

So is that really the only difference?

Seems like such a rip off to people.

Kinda the way I felt with Intel's move to S775, when alot of us picked up 478 early on.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Well the move to AM2 does dual channel DDR2, high max RAM probably(8 or 16GB), higher wattage CPUs(don't think 939 had 125watt), thats all I can think of besides HyperTransport like to be over 1000 instead of under like 939, mines around 1100 and it likes it.

I went from 754 to AM2 so the difference was huge, lol.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lxcivic2k1
View Post

Well the move to AM2 does dual channel DDR2, high max RAM probably(8 or 16GB), higher wattage CPUs(don't think 939 had 125watt), thats all I can think of besides HyperTransport like to be over 1000 instead of under like 939, mines around 1100 and it likes it.

I went from 754 to AM2 so the difference was huge, lol.

I too went from 754 to AM2

I would say they may clock better than 939's, but i'm not sure

my friend has an FX-60 clocked to 2.9, on water. he can't go over 3.0 because the voltage bump needed makes his chip get too hot. I have mine at 3.2 and I don't even think it'll hit 50c

the memory boost is HUGE though. we both ran everest ultimate's memory benchmark, and all across the board, my memory scores were nearly double his. (He was getting 59xxMB/s I was getting 9xxx-10kMB/s

hmm, yeah I would definitely say AM2 chips clock better. I remember when if you could hit 3.1-3.2 your chip was wicked awesome, but now nearly every am2 chip can hit those numbers, dual cores are even hitting up to 3.4ghz in some cases.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the socket 754 was like a cruel joke to everyone who bought one, they dumped that platform so fast... the 939 however, was a GREAT processor line. my dinky 3000 (1.8 Ghz) would clock to 2.5 easily and was completely stable, and would run any game i threw at it with no problems at all. i upgraded to a x2 4200 just because i wanted a dual core 939 before there were no new chips left in circulation, and it too ran like a raped ape on anything i threw at it (and i didnt even OC it).

why did i upgrade to a phenom? cause ddr2 was super cheap right now, and having a 9950 black edition just sounded cool LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
My last computer was S754. Damn you AMD! If AM2/AM2+/AM3 weren't all compatible with each other I would have gone Intel on this one for sure.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by my77stang View Post
the socket 754 was like a cruel joke to everyone who bought one, they dumped that platform so fast... the 939 however, was a GREAT processor line. my dinky 3000 (1.8 Ghz) would clock to 2.5 easily and was completely stable, and would run any game i threw at it with no problems at all. i upgraded to a x2 4200 just because i wanted a dual core 939 before there were no new chips left in circulation, and it too ran like a raped ape on anything i threw at it (and i didnt even OC it).

why did i upgrade to a phenom? cause ddr2 was super cheap right now, and having a 9950 black edition just sounded cool LOL
LOL, having a Q6600 just sounded cool to me! But AMD is cursing me for getting my first Intel chip! I sent the DOA EVGA 750i FTW back for RMA and the one i got back only boots with 2/4 Push Pins pushed in!

And to the OP, the AM2 will support the AM2+/AM3 socket procs. so thats about the only diffence besides the extra pin.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobo Bob View Post
And to the OP, the AM2 will support the AM2+/AM3 socket procs. so thats about the only diffence besides the extra pin.
That's not the only reason....The Main reason is DDR2, which gives alot more bandwith to the system which results in in more performance per clock cicle.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XenoMopH
View Post

That's not the only reason....The Main reason is DDR2, which gives alot more bandwith to the system which results in in more performance per clock cicle.

that is true now but when DDR2 first emerged with AM2 the latency sucked compared to DDR, in the beginning of AM2 a S939 processor with the same specs would perform about the same, now that ddr2 is cheap and the timings are really tight AM2 is much better.

Thats not to say that S939 is dead, I just bought an Opteron 175 and it can hang with a stock E2180, I do remember the outrage though for all the people who bought S754 and then they dumped it for S939

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I see what you mean though. AMD seems to change sockets like socks. AM3 will be heading soon. It's just nonsense.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think Intel has changed Sockets quite more often....Looking at the AM3, which can be put in an AM2(+) socket, tells me AMD is looking at backwards compatibility...
So it does not mean you HAVE to upgrade to a new board to make use of the new Deneb Core, like you do when you want to use the iCore7.
Only if you want to make use of the DDR3 RAM, and upgrade to a AM3 socket is needed.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
AMD had the 939, then AM2 then AM2+

All the while Intel had 775.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
and AMD went from S754 to S939 so quickly it wasn't even funny, intel has stuck with S775 for a long time and the only reason they are switching sockets is because of the integrated memory controller, it takes up more room and needs more pins that S775 cannot accommodate.

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by keith27 View Post
Ah yes I forgot about the 754.
its understandable it was out for what 3 months and had two processors released for it, I know it pissed off a bunch of people who bought into 754 because none of their hardware was compatible with 939, not even the ram cuz they used server ram with 754

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobo Bob View Post
LOL, having a Q6600 just sounded cool to me! But AMD is cursing me for getting my first Intel chip! I sent the DOA EVGA 750i FTW back for RMA and the one i got back only boots with 2/4 Push Pins pushed in!
Probaly because with all four pins in your board is bending pretty badly, at least mine did... Invest in a bolt-thru kit before you kill something ;]

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by keith27
View Post

Yes, but AM2 works on AM2+. AM3 CPU will also work on AM2+ boards.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by keith27
View Post

True however alot of the chips aren't supported on different chipsets so you might as well have changed sockets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts