Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XzJNI.jpg

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=graphic-science-ibm-simulates-4-percent-human-brain-all-of-cat-brain
Quote:
Nevertheless, IBM is trying to simulate the human brain with its own cutting-edge supercomputer, called Blue Gene. For the simulation, it used 147,456 processors working in parallel with one another. IBM researchers say each processor is roughly equivalent to the one found in a personal computer, with one gigabyte of working memory.

So configured, Blue Gene simulated 4.5 percent of the brain's neurons and the connections among them called synapses-that's about one billion neurons and 10 trillion synapses. In total, the brain has roughly 20 billion neurons and 200 trillion synapses.
Man, our brains are really unoptimized.
When's that next patch coming?

·
Registered
479 Posts
If this really is how far tech is behind our natural brain.... why can't I solve linear algebra problems in my head in a matter of nano seconds
frown.gif

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99;15486681
I think it's obvious humans weren't the lead platform. We got saddled with cat ports.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello im sean;15486725
If this really is how far tech is behind our natural brain.... why can't I solve linear algebra problems in my head in a matter of nano seconds
frown.gif
Because computers are built specifically for doing math equations, and nothing else.

We eat, sleep, love, hate, run, walk, tell computers what to do, and more, as well as doing math.

The fact that we can build computers is impressive in it's self.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox me;15486728
I think it's obvious humans weren't the lead platform. We got saddled with cat ports.
lachen.gif

Hopefully the next-gen cats won't hold us back so much.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Remember our brains are not instant. The knowledge we acquire is slowly shaping our brains. In fact, for every thing we learn, and remember there has to be a physical change in our brain connections.

Being able to instantly do algebraic equations is simply a matter of making your brain work harder and faster at them. With time, they will come as fast as 5*25 comes to you (which once took lots
of finger counting and notebook writing).

PD: LOL @ comments.

·
Premium Member
10,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello im sean;15486725
frown.gif
The same reason a GPU can't perform basic OS level functions of the CPU, but can render a beautiful scene a few orders of magnitude faster than a CPU.

The human brain excels at tremendously parallel tasks, utilizing enormous datasets, yet is outpaced by any calculator in the world in calculating the squareroot of 69 (eight something).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesquik;15486765
we dont use all of our brains
In fact, we do. That claim is nothing more than an urban myth descending from some idiot in the past not knowing the difference between neurons and glial-cells.

·
toast toast!
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox me;15486728
That is going to be sigged.

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99;15486681
Lol Frick

The Brain is amazing,it is in fact very optimized, it has been patched since 195.000 years ago
wink.gif

Not only that,the Brain is self aware of his bugs, he debugs itself and autopatches himself.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Every time you think about something its instant, you can think of explosion or anything you imagine, PC cannot do that, it would take it years to simulate it.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts