Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

ONE QUESTION THAT a lot of the financial set are asking has to do with Nvidia and mobile. While the company is effectively out of mobile for 2010, there was at least one GTX480 based laptop at CeBIT.

There were five GTX480 displays at the show officially, but a bunch more were tucked away if you knew where to look. One brave company even had a Fermi GTX4x0 notebook behind closed doors. We say GTX480, but it could have been anything. Nvidia was not telling its partners last week what card would have what specifications.

Although SemiAccurate did see the unit in question, we can't show you pics of it to protect the vendor, since it would be immediately obvious to Nvidia who was showing it. That said, it is one of those oversized units that uses desktop components and has a battery life measured in meth tweaker's heartbeats.

It is going to be interesting to see if this deskbook makes production. We should know by Computex if it is a go or not. The company can make them, but can Nvidia supply the GPU chips? More to the point, can it supply chips to the thermal specs it promised when the cooling solution for the laptop was designed? For technical reasons, we don't think it will happen, but there is always a chance. Our recommendation is to hold off on putting a deposit down until it is clear that this makes retail.

Source

As always from SemiAccurate.com, take with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
The way I see it this'll probably be using nVidia's Optimus technology.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Quote:

That said, it is one of those oversized units that uses desktop components and has a battery life measured in meth tweaker's heartbeats.

Seriously why do people read SA?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastrider View Post
Oh well. Could be. Last performance mobile chip was GTX280M no?
Yep, and if my memory is right, it's a mere GT92 rebrand, lol

Wouldn'T surprise me if the mobile GTX4x0 is in fact a GT200 derivative.

Or a terribly chopped down GF100, if it's real.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post

Yes, the GTX260M/280M/285M mobile cards are all based on the G92 cores.

The next logical step-up would be to start using the G200 cores in their "next gen" mobile cards but the problem is that ATI already has DX11 mobile cards out and if nvidia is planning to re-cycle the G200 cores in laptops then they will have a disadvantage due to no DX11 support in laptops.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
There is definitely reason to question whether or not Nvidia can bring a dx11 laptop GPU to the market this generation. The power requirements for the current cards are very, very high, about 4x more then would be desired for a whole mobile system. Semi accurate in typical style took a narrow amount of information and made big claims, but it doesn't mean they are not on to something. Information about lower end, low power dx11 chips have not be disclosed or discussed. ATI had DX11 discrete cards for laptops so Nvidia will definitely want to have one too. The questions are what will they make, how will it perform, and can they get a GF100 derivative card with a TDP low enough for the mobile space?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

Because it makes you mad.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would guess this was an Alienware.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

You see, that is where your bias filter should kick in and read past it if you don't find that adding value to your opinion forming. So they did see a 4x0 based laptop. They tell you not to hold out your breathe due to technical (temp related) difficulties. Well, that's news.

Look through the package and I'm sure you'll be able to pick up useful info from SA.

BTW this terribly applies to this forum as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

The same reason you've lasted this long, even with the epic flamewars you've manage to conjure?

Seriously though, why do you care what people read? Because it doesn't fit your agenda, correct? So we have to care about your judgment? :\\

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SWIZZY View Post
Does anyone know when these new cards will be released?
March 26th for the GTX470 and GTX480 desktop variants. No info on the Dual GPU version or the Mobile versions.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nist7
View Post

Yes, the GTX260M/280M/285M mobile cards are all based on the G92 cores.

The next logical step-up would be to start using the G200 cores in their "next gen" mobile cards but the problem is that ATI already has DX11 mobile cards out and if nvidia is planning to re-cycle the G200 cores in laptops then they will have a disadvantage due to no DX11 support in laptops.

Wondering the same thing, but still, probably g92.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoshi
View Post

Despite the fact that my laptop's GTX260M is based on G92, it's still one awesome laptop GPU. I'm sure these wont be any different.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post
Despite the fact that my laptop's GTX260M is based on G92, it's still one awesome laptop GPU. I'm sure these wont be any different.
Ohh I know I'm not bashing the G92 at all. *points to my GPU in my sig*

Loving my G92, plays everything "maxed" without pushing the AA too far, at 1920x1200. Surprisingly the only game that really has a struggle is Starcraft II on highest settings and 16xAF (extreme shaders)... and the obvious Crysis, game that I don't even play.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicBox
View Post

You see, that is where your bias filter should kick in and read past it

You see, that isn't how journalism is done and Charlie would fail and be laughed out of any decent journalism school if he acted the way he does on SA. You don't gain credibility by making articles that have a very evident degree of venom and bias. That is the exact opposite of good journalistic writing. Well, other than on OCN.

This is how Charlie attacks Nvidia now? His entire article summed up in a sentence would be:

"At Cebit there was a laptop with a mobile Fermi GPU and by the way Nvidia sucks and fails at everything they do!"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts