Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

TWO THINGS THAT rarely go hand in hand when it comes to notebooks is battery life and performance â€" well, weight also plays in somewhere here â€" but it seems like Toshiba has gotten one step closer to solving this with its latest 13.3-inch dynabook RX3W that was announced in Japan today. Toshiba has combined a standard 35W Core i processor with a light weight chassis and up to 16h of unplugged usage, that's what we'd call a good compromise.

Read

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Quote:
The downside is the cost, as Toshiba is asking for no less than $2846 for the fully kitted out version, with the cheapest model coming in at a still very pricey $1547.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
This thing is pro when you're on an overseas flight and are not being sleepy.
Erm, what flight lasts 16 hours with no stop... certainly no cross Atlantic flights I have been on, very few last over 8hrs.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Downside is the size, $1500+ for 13.3"? Screw that.
I've never favored the small laptop/netbook craze anyway though. 15.6"/1600x900 and up only please. It baffles me that they'll put 9-12 cells in the tiny laptops with no discrete GPU, but most with the higher end GPU's and CPU's come with 6, MAYBE 8 cells. I realize there's only so much space, but you could at least give me an extended battery option or something that sticks out the back or whatever. If the laptops already 17" and several pounds, a little more around the edges for a solid battery boost is worth it to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Erm, what flight lasts 16 hours with no stop... certainly no cross Atlantic flights I have been on, very few last over 8hrs.
I think you misread them
they're saying it's awesome because it'll last through most flights.

I think I'm too picky to own a laptop really.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Or you could buy a $75 WinCE netbook, and hook it up with two Li-Po airsoft gun batteries and a Pico, 20h+ battery life for about $150 plus the price of your netbook.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSprunk View Post
Downside is the size, $1500+ for 13.3"? Screw that.
I've never favored the small laptop/netbook craze anyway though. 15.6"/1600x900 and up only please.
Anything over 13.3" is awkwardly big and usually heavy. This 13.3" craze is because of mobility, which is something that is to be taken in consideration when buying mobile things...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Quote:

My cross atlantic flights 8 some years ago took 11 hours, 8 hours non-stop and one stop in Detroit. Still, that notebook would have some reserve, or if you used it before for an hour or some. At least you won't be running out

·
Banned
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSprunk View Post
I think I'm too picky to own a laptop really.
This
I am waiting for AMD Fusion.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryand
View Post

Los Angeles to London... 11 hours. I know it's not 16 hours, but it's still a hell of a long time.

Los Angeles to Sydney... 20 hours.

In any case, it just means you know it won't die on the trip.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Trans-pacific flights are longer. Flight from Toronto to Hong Kong is ~16 hours direct...

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by quentin
View Post

Price is absolutely ridiculous. They don't even include a discrete GPU? What a joke.

Yeah, im sure if they include a discrete GPU that "wonderful" 16 hour battery life goes down to about 3 or 4 hours of solid battery life, which in itself isn't bad, but 16 hours would sure be a nice perk.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude120
View Post

Yeah, im sure if they include a discrete GPU that "wonderful" 16 hour battery life goes down to about 3 or 4 hours of solid battery life, which in itself isn't bad, but 16 hours would sure be a nice perk.

Probably more for business customers, not for gamers, then

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Not worth it.
1. Intel graphics (craphics?)
2. Pricey
3. A netbook, though not being as powerful, would be at a much better value
4. 35W core iX prpocessor, if they used the lower power ones they coulda probably achieved EVEN MOAR battery life.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:

There's also a finger print scanner located between the track pad keys.

why do you need a finger print scanner? i can only think of one , security.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude120
View Post

Well with a hybrid GPU setup like the Asus UL lineup has, you have the option of turning off the discrete GPU and using onboard.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Um, ok. My last flight from LA to Frankfurt was under 12 hours, and then additional 1 hour flight to Vienna. So if it wasn't for the ridiculous price, the notebook would be perfect. Might as well buy a $500 laptop and get a bunch of batteries for it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:

When I went to Australia back in 2003 that flight was around 15-16 hours from LAX.

I like long battery life. It's one of the things I look for in a laptop. However the price tag on this laptop is just too high for what it is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts