Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
wait a minute... is that 8 cores chip with 2 sets of quad cores and no shared L3 cache ???

that's weird, IMO.

or this is a 8 core Opteron ? yeah i think this would likely to be 8 cores Opteron than a desktop Zen cpu.

moreover, with much smaller L2 cache than in Bulldozer, seems like they finally figured out how to fix L2 latency problem. that's a good sign.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyeverytime View Post

Watchya think overclockers?
Going by your avatar:
Quote:
We don't win anymore all other guys are doing all the winning and we need to win too. When we look at China Intel they are taking away all our wins. But when I am president CEO we are going to start winning again. We are going to win so much you are all going to get sick and tired of winning but we will keep on winning. We are going to win in integer, floating, efficiency and everywhere. And we will take good care of our veterans investors.

Did you guys hear what crooked Hillary Jen-Hsun was saying. She He wants to take away your second amendment rights affordable gaming GPUs. But we are not going to let that happen are we? What are we going to do about it? We are going to start winning again and will leave nobody behind. We are going to make AMericaD great again.
I nailed it right?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
AMD is so full of talk and so little action.

Thats seems to be their only way of trying to stop Nvidia and Intel. Offer previews and talks "its going to be so amazing"

In the meantime, Intel and Nvidia offer briefing close to launch and BAM, we get to buy the products.

AMD will launch another set of their broken APUs based on their crappy architecture in June. Save the money and use them on speeding up Zen manufacturing instead of spending them on a broken product that nobody wants

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travieso View Post

wait a minute... is that 8 cores chip with 2 sets of quad cores and no shared L3 cache ???

that's weird, IMO.
If you think about it, it's not weird at all. Intel did that on a small scale for the first Core 2 Quad chips. Also, that's how the APUs inside the Xbox One and PS4 are arranged.

Edit: Notice that the Jaguar APUs here also have their own caches. AMD continues the trend of using console designs to influence what they do on the APU and desktop side of things!

Also relevant:

I think we're in for a treat. If anyone can find the performance characteristics of the Jaguar 4x4 arrangement inside the console APUs, then we can get a sense of how things are going to work on Zen.

·
OG AMD
8,885 Posts
wink.gif

From the OP
Quote:
UPDATE 5/22/2016 5:06 PST: After more discussion Han de Vries has created another diagram highlighting where we believe the two DDR4 PHYs, South Bridge, and off-chip high-speed interconnect interfaces are. You can compare Hans' interpretation to a professionally labelled image of AMD's Carrizo die and make up your own mind. The rather irregular looking area on the top right hand area of the die is probably the South Bridge, as far as anyone can tell. The bottom left hand corner has very regular looking structures leading us to believe that it's some kind of off-chip interconnect like AMD's old Hypertransport or a rumored but as of yet publicly unconfirmed interconnect technology called GMI.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/38402-amd-s-coherent-data-fabric-enables-100-gb-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Thats seems to be their only way of trying to stop Nvidia and Intel. Offer previews and talks "its going to be so amazing"

In the meantime, Intel and Nvidia offer briefing close to launch and BAM, we get to buy the products.

AMD will launch another set of their broken APUs based on their crappy architecture in June. Save the money and use them on speeding up Zen manufacturing instead of spending them on a broken product that nobody wants
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CataclysmZA View Post

If you think about it, it's not weird at all. Intel did that on a small scale for the first Core 2 Quad chips. Also, that's how the APUs inside the Xbox One and PS4 are arranged.
thats because Intel didn't know how to make a 'real' quad cores at that time. all they did was just pasting dual cores together. this method negatively affects overall performance so they decided to go with full 'real' quad cores cpu since Sandy Bridge and never go back.

i have no idea if AMD decide to end with 4x4 instead of real octa cores.

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,545 Posts
Quote:

Yikes! Did you get burned by AMD at some point? You always seem to hate on them whenever you get the chance.

We all know Intel will still be at the top even when Zen hits, but competition is always good. Why try to fight competition? Nvidia charging $700-1000 for a single GPU is not an ideal price point for many people either.

·
Premium Member
20,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokin View Post

Yikes! Did you get burned by AMD at some point? You always seem to hate on them whenever you get the chance.

We all know Intel will still be at the top even when Zen hits, but competition is always good. Why try to fight competition? Nvidia charging $700-1000 for a single GPU is not an ideal price point for many people either.
If he stops . . . he gets fired. Simple as that.
wink.gif

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Quote:

Im reacting because pretty much AMD have done the last 6-7 years have been extremely poor.

I own AMD stock and I want them to do well. But Im not gonna sit here and degend their stupid actions either

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Quote:

This is Zen ,not the "broken product that nobody wants" and the slides came from stuff they present to their investors, nothing to do with intel or nvidia (what does even nvidia have to do with AMD CPUs anyway?). And yeah, you know, also Polaris is right around the corner, it is not just nvidia launching stuff.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:

thats because Intel didn't know how to make a 'real' quad cores at that time. all they did was just pasting dual cores together. this method negatively affects overall performance so they decided to go with full 'real' quad cores cpu since Sandy Bridge and never go back.

Yeah, they didn't have a framework for a quad-core chip at the time, even though they knew how to build one. Slapping two cores together worked back then because you were actively targeting the contents of a cache in a particular core when doing an operation on data inside the cache, and programming for a quad-core chip was fairly close to what you were already doing.

If you were developing applications for servers which had multiple dual-core processors, then your code also worked on the "quad-core" chips because the layout was logically the same. Its amusing to see how similar Zen and Kentsfield look when you're just comparing their layout overall.

Also, for those interested, a Broadwell die shot for comparison. I copied in the wrong URL earlier. It's difficult to find anything about Skylake's design online.

·
Amiga 600
665 Posts
Quote:

I own AMD stock and I want them to do well.
I nearly fell off my chair
biggrin.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: Robenger

·
Registered
724 Posts
Link to the webcast and slides in question: https://amd.onlineshareholdermeeting.com/vsm/web?pvskey=AMD

Lisa's segment starts at around 15:21.

Edit: At 24:00, she clearly says "40% improvement in one generation in IPC compared to our previous generation" and also adds that AMD's looking forward to launching Zen in datacenters in 2017 as well. Zen CPUs are being sampled to partners already, and they want to start earning revenue from it in 2017.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Quote:

I own AMD stock and I want them to do well.
If that were the case then you'd talk them up in public, or at the very least shut your mouth. Flaming a company you want to do well every chance you get in a public forum is the exact opposite of "want them to do well"

·
Banned
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedINC View Post

If that were the case then you'd talk them up in public, or at the very least shut your mouth. Flaming a company you want to do well every chance you get in a public forum is the exact opposite of "want them to do well"
It's pretty obvious it was an outright lie.

·
What should be here ?
5,747 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Im reacting because pretty much AMD have done the last 6-7 years have been extremely poor.

I own AMD stock and I want them to do well. But Im not gonna sit here and degend their stupid actions either
Did you read the offer document carefully. They are subject to market risks. Your investor may have handed you deeds to Nvidia / Intel stock.
Also if you were a holder of AMD stock, you should never berate the company even if they were planning to spit out of their balconies on passers below for a penny because dude you just invested in them !!!
headscratch.gif

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,757 Posts
Quote:

Might not matter much in the end since most end user software still doesn't know how to scale properly to 4 cores let alone 8 cores.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedINC View Post

Sorry but Im not mindless AMD fanboy like so many else are.

I will never waste my time defending them when their actions lately suck. Zen should have been released this summer at Computex where it would get the best exposure as possible. Not in freaking 2017

1 - 20 of 105 Posts