Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 9590 on a 990fx R 2.0

My CPU is cooled by a custom EK kit. Currently I'm stress testing with blend @ 5.0ghz (25 x 200) @ 1.464v (75% LLC, ultra high); everything else at auto.

My socket temps are spiking up to 64C whereas the core temps are barley tapping 40C. I've been told the VRM's have a huge impact on the socket temps, is this true? Or is this the product of water kits in general?

Forgive my lack of terminology, but by VRM's I mean the two heat sinks directly to the left and bottom of the CPU (if I'm incorrect). Thank you!

·
Keyboard Warrior
455 Posts
The heatsink to the left are the VRMs and the one below the socket is for the Northbridge. Airflow over VRMs helps lower socket temps because the electrical traces that deliver the power to the cpu also act as a direct route for thermal transfer. And since they (the traces) are actually flowing a lot of electricity they tend to heat up on their own.

Those are some pretty good cpu temps for what you're running right now. The socket temp should be "okay" but I would definitely be trying to lower them if going for more voltage.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to get a universal block for the VRM's. I mean, I can throw a spot fan on them but one of the reasons I got the water cooling system is for aesthetics, and having spot fans here and there gives it a cluttered feeling.

I'm just so surprised by the difference in core and socket temps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts