Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ram can get as high as 38-39c while gaming mind you its overclocked but a few people have told me to stay under 45c, was just wondering if anybody has a source from AMD or some knowledge base that it causes issues being 45c or higher. Does it matter for Zen2 also?

Kind regards,
Cameron.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I've worked out it's a bad airflow problem I am upgrading my case but till then I will keep the side panel off, with the case open and no sidepanel I get 32-35c on the dimm's but with the side panel on I get 40-45c depending on the room temp...

Does anyone have a source stating that 45c will cause errors? also have I harmed my ram at all by leaving it for so long around 40-45c without ever looking.

·
38 Cans of Ravioli
24,954 Posts
DDR4 is fine until at least the 70c range. I sent an email to G.Skill a few months ago and that's the number they gave. The people telling you to keep it ~40c are (probably) the RAM OCers. Stable RAM can act unstable if they get too warm and their tolerance to temp goes down the more aggressive your timings/clocks are.

My 4133 at really tight subs/tertiaries is fine at least until the mid 50s but others in the Intel DDR4 thread claimed stability issues with theirs above 40c.

If you're running at XMP with auto subs/tertiaries, you don't need to even worry about it until at least the 70c range since the subs/tertiaries on auto are usually super loose for compatibility.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dhoulmagus

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'm currently running 3466mhz with FAST preset from DRAM Calculator so kind of tight timings at 1.4v but CASE OFF 32-34c and case on its 40-45c huge difference, I will also mention it passed 12 hours of Memtest HCI and the paid one that's recommended on these forums with 0% errors even when reaching 45c.

I'm just worried (OCD) that if a dimm hits 45c somewhere it the background its causing problems with my gaming that I don't even notice but it's throwing errors etc.

·
38 Cans of Ravioli
24,954 Posts
if it passes 12 hours of RAM Test/Memtest HCI at those temps then it's stable and you really don't need to worry about it. Usually if RAM is unstable it'll cause a BSOD or you'll have issues with programs crashing, it won't just error out quietly in the background.

My RAM regularly hits the high 40s during normal use and during stressing it sits in the mid 50s and I never had an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if it passes 12 hours of RAM Test/Memtest HCI at those temps then it's stable and you really don't need to worry about it. Usually if RAM is unstable it'll cause a BSOD or you'll have issues with programs crashing, it won't just error out quietly in the background.

My RAM regularly hits the high 40s during normal use and during stressing it sits in the mid 50s and I never had an issue.
Thanks for the info man can put this mind at ease, I will still upgrade my case as the airflow is piss poor but I swear in 2017 I think either The Stilt or 1usmus had info about RAM Overclocking and how with Ryzen over 45c you get jitter/errors.

Hence why I was worried my gaming was having issues I didn't even notice but could have been stutter or other random hitches caused by high dimm temps.

·
Working as Intended
145 Posts
Thanks for the info man can put this mind at ease, I will still upgrade my case as the airflow is piss poor but I swear in 2017 I think either The Stilt or 1usmus had info about RAM Overclocking and how with Ryzen over 45c you get jitter/errors.

Hence why I was worried my gaming was having issues I didn't even notice but could have been stutter or other random hitches caused by high dimm temps.
Well i can tell you im also hit 50C on ram whit samsung B die oc and not getting any sort of error

·
486DX2 66
5,261 Posts
DDR4 is fine until at least the 70c range. I sent an email to G.Skill a few months ago and that's the number they gave. The people telling you to keep it ~40c are (probably) the RAM OCers. Stable RAM can act unstable if they get too warm and their tolerance to temp goes down the more aggressive your timings/clocks are.

My 4133 at really tight subs/tertiaries is fine at least until the mid 50s but others in the Intel DDR4 thread claimed stability with theirs above 40c.

If you're running at XMP with auto subs/tertiaries, you don't need to even worry about it until at least the 70c range since the subs/tertiaries on auto are usually super loose for compatibility.
Should have asked them (or did you?) to specify if that temp is the same for all DDR4 or was this based on a specific model (b-die?). Hynix C doesn't even have a temp sensor so I'm flying blind, but my pook voodoo idol keeps them nice and cool.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
38 Cans of Ravioli
24,954 Posts
Should have asked them (or did you?) to specify if that temp is the same for all DDR4 or was this based on a specific model (b-die?). Hynix C doesn't even have a temp sensor so I'm flying blind, but my pook voodoo idol keeps them nice and cool.

They knew I had/was asking about B-Die but it should (I think?) be the same for any DDR4 on 20nm.

the Pook idol is the method professional OCers use so just make sure that's in tip top shape and you'll be OK regardless tho.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dhoulmagus

·
486DX2 66
5,261 Posts
They knew I had/was asking about B-Die but it should (I think?) be the same for any DDR4 on 20nm.

the Pook idol is the method professional OCers use so just make sure that's in tip top shape and you'll be OK regardless tho.
Exactly what I was wondering, I believe Hynix C is 18nm, so both max voltage and operating temperatures could be different from b-die, but it seems we don't get too much info on safe RAM overclocking.

My read/write/copy speeds did climb 37% after installing the idol, so you're on to something.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.