Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about finding buying an SSD. Would it be safe to install Windows currently while keeping overclocked? I have my processor running stable at 4ghz right now.

If not, what would be the best way to reset my options in my bios and get back to clock speeds so that I can install Windows on my new SSD?

·
d[ o_0 ]b
7,317 Posts
i do not think its highly suggested. pretty sure i have seen in many different places to put your system back to stock settings while installing the OS

• Rep+
Reactions: BloodyRory

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Absolutely if youre stable, you also should be able to restore bios to default through the GUI. Alternatively you can clear the CMOS.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
I have done it several times in the past with no issues. But if it bothers you that much why not just record your settings and go back to stock? Then, once you have the OS installed, you can overclock it again.

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,787 Posts
Its perfectly fine as long as it is stable I have done this hundreds of times without issues. The only BIOS thing that messes with windows occasionally is that dang UEFI.
mad.gif

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
it would not make any difference, overclocked or not, i don't see any conceivable way on how overclocking will affect an OS installation, the worst thing that can happen is if it BSOD'ed while installing the OS, if it does then all you have to do is reinstall again.

i already reinstalled windows several times with my overclocked machineS

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

it would not make any difference, overclocked or not, i don't see any conceivable way on how overclocking will affect an OS installation, the worst thing that can happen is if it BSOD'ed while installing the OS, if it does then all you have to do is reinstall again.
QFT.

I've done it plenty of times. Being mildly OCD over it, on a new build, I generally install Windows first. Following that, overclock, stability tests, benchmarks, the whole nine yards, and when I am satisfied with the settings I just reinstall it again.

Note, the first install I do generally isn't "proper", just bare drivers and what the computer requires to run.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmenir View Post

QFT.
I've done it plenty of times. Being mildly OCD over it, on a new build, I generally install Windows first. Following that, overclock, stability tests, benchmarks, the whole nine yards, and when I am satisfied with the settings I just reinstall it again.
Note, the first install I do generally isn't "proper", just bare drivers and what the computer requires to run.
me too, i always reinstall after i'm done with overclocking, because it feels like the OS became slower and unstable after all of those BSODs,

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Quote:

me too, i always reinstall after i'm done with overclocking, because it feels like the OS became slower and unstable after all of those BSODs,
Glad I am not the only one to say that. I definitely seems to degrade- what I really wish for sometimes was a live Windows that didn't suck. Hiren's BootCD only goes so far.
rolleyes.gif

·
Iconoclast
32,310 Posts
Quote:

If the system isn't stable it's perfectly possible to silently corrupt the OS which can cause all sorts of issues down the line, not to mention being extremely difficult to diagnose (as issues can persist even if the OC is reverted later).

If you are going to install while overclocked, you should make sure the system is as stable as reasonably possible.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

If the system isn't stable it's perfectly possible to silently corrupt the OS which can cause all sorts of issues down the line, not to mention being extremely difficult to diagnose (as issues can persist even if the OC is reverted later).
If you are going to install while overclocked, you should make sure the system is as stable as reasonably possible.
i never experienced that, i reinstalled OS countless times without giving me any problem, if you want to be 100 percent sure then it won't hurt to revert your bios to stock settings, but i would not bother

although you have a point, you just have to make sure that your OC is stable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.