Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check my specs below in my sig. I just ordered all of that off newegg sunday. The order is still processing but when I do get this and build it. Do you think it will be safe to OC? I want to oc the gpu and cpu. What do you think? Also what do you think of my new rig? I can't wait. Big upgrade from my first computer. Check my profile if you want to see my first rig.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Absolutely it's safe to overclock. Why not?
That rig is going to be great. You'll easily be able to hit 4GHz on your CPU and hopefully at least get a good overclock out of the stock cooling on that 480.
Great looking system. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not enough cooling? The cpu should be fine with the cooler I have. It is water cooling and my friend has same cpu and cooler and his cpu never goes above like 40 C at full load. The gpu tho is more of the question.

Edit: Thanks Detroit. Didn't see your post at first. So the GPU is safe to oc? Also do you think 4 ghz is the highest I should go on the cpu?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistons50 View Post
Not enough cooling? The cpu should be fine with the cooler I have. It is water cooling and my friend has same cpu and cooler and his cpu never goes above like 40 C at full load. The gpu tho is more of the question.
I wouldn't necessarily call it water cooling, even though it is. It's more of a high performance air cooler as it competes in that range.
40*C at full load is amazing. Unless he extremely undervolted or has very low ambients, I doubt that is 100% accurate, though.

The GTX 480 is going to get pretty hot for your liking. It can and will limit your overclocking of it and can reduce stability. If you're really wanting to go far with it, I would recommend some aftermarket cooling.

Edit: Your 930 will most likely be able to hit higher than 4.0GHz, but that's usually the minimum that any i7 will hit with a good cooler. I've seen people at 4.4-4.6GHz 24/7, so I'm sure you can go higher than 4GHz.

Your 480 will be safe to OC to a point. You just have to make sure you stress test it after bumping up the clocks and making sure it's stable and temps don't get too high. It all depends on the individual card as to how well it will perform.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Go as far as you can, as long as the OC is stable, temperatures don't exceed maximum safe temps under load (look them up), and you aren't putting massive amounts of voltage through it.

With the GPU, remember that GTX 480's run quite hot, so don't increase the OC too much because the extra heat will affect other components. It might be best to overclock the GPU first so that you know your CPU is running at an acceptable temperature when you overclock it.

Still, very nice build

What fans are you using on the H50?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well for now I suppose I could just OC cpu and the temp he is reading is off his mobo. My mobo has that to but I have a more expensive and updated version of his mobo. Anyways whats a good gpu cooler suggestion? I plan on SLI soon and also I will need room for my tv tuner that I would like to get soon as well.

edit: lol I always see posts after I post. Anyways I am just using the fan it shows in the picture.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product

Like I said I have not yet gotten this computer. I ordered it Sunday and I am awaiting its arrival.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitsoldier View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call it water cooling, even though it is. It's more of a high performance air cooler as it competes in that range.
I'll have to agree with that. The H50 series performs about as well as a $50-70 air cooling solution. You should be able to get around 4Ghz with ~70C load temps with it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All sounds good on the CPU OC. Thanks. Now I guess I will need suggestions on those GPU cooler/s. Keep in mind I will be getting a second GTX 480 soon along with a tv tuner. So, room in the case something to think about and possibly having 2 GPU's is another.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

All sounds good on the CPU OC. Thanks. Now I guess I will need suggestions on those GPU cooler/s. Keep in mind I will be getting a second GTX 480 soon along with a tv tuner. So, room in the case something to think about and possibly having 2 GPU's is another.
I believe Arctic Cooling just came out with a new cooler, something called the Accelero Extreme Plus or something. It's universal for Fermi as well as some other cards, I believe. Bad thing about it is that it takes up 3 slots, not two, so you would have to put a second 480 in the third slot instead of the second.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

I actually planned on doing that anyways to have them further apart so hopefully help on temp.
Do you have a side case fan blowing on them? I don't know about others here on OCN, but with stock cooling on my cards, and a nice case fan blowing on them, I can OC my cards pretty far and stay below 75C at 78% fan speed.

I've never needed aftermarket cooling for video cards, but if you want your cards to run OC'd and quiet as well, you might have to. I don't have any advice on which cooler, since I've never used one before.

EDIT: lol, disregard all of that, I forgot we're talking about 480s. I would definitely recommend some good aftermarket cooling for those things.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am not 100% sure how the case looks with fans and all because It wont be here untill later this week and I did read you edit but I am sure that will still help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts