Overclock.net banner

Safe to soak earbuds in alcohol?

28511 13
Would it be safe to soak my Skull Candy Asyms in Isopropyl Alcohol to sterilize and clean them?

Thanks
-Jason
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
591 Posts
EDIT: I just googled your headphones. Yes they're in-ear headphones. You can use my method as long as you can remove the rubber tips

I'm assuming those are the in-ear headphones. I've cleaned them before

I removed them so I'm only cleaning the rubber parts
I've used rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer (I wasn't home to use rubbing alcohol) before
Then I rinsed them with water
Dried them. You can lay them out on a towel. What I did was blow dry them with hair dryer or the hand dryer that time I used hand sanitizer

It works and safe to use again

Hope this helps

· PC Gamer
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsa2;13345475
Would it be safe to soak my Skull Candy Asyms in Isopropyl Alcohol to sterilize and clean them?

Thanks
-Jason
Why stop there? Put them in the washing machine along with the laundry. They'll smell nice too.

· Premium Member
8,692 Posts
use a cloth and put the iso alcohol on that and wipe your earphones that way. Clean the eartips as well.

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I figured I'd just take the chance, so yeah, I submerged the entire set into a small bowl filled with alcohol. I let it sit for around an hour, pulled them out, dried them, and let them sit in front of a fan for a couple of hours or so.

They work better then ever, and went back to the bright white I originally bought them in!
cool.gif

skullcandy1.jpg

skullcandy2.jpg

Thanks guys!
Rep

· Just living in a van...
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;13349745
totally wouldn't have guessed that would work. Glad it worked for you.
No kidding, I would limit the number of times this is done as the alcohol likely attacks the rubber. Granted, what was used is probably pretty low in concentration, but still it would be good practice to use something not alcohol-based next time around.
wink.gif

· Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0nnection;13345557
Why stop there? Put them in the washing machine along with the laundry. They'll smell nice too.
smile.gif
i actually did this with some skullcandys and the cord warped but they still played HAHAHAHA, and people say skullcandys break ez... I still have mine from 3 years ago... regardless, still crap compared to most stuff nowadays

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually i've been more then happy with my Asyms, they sound great, (Though I did pay some $80 for them) and skullcandy rma service is fast and good!

· Registered
581 Posts
I'd be careful about the damage you would do to the rubber with alcohol. I honestly would rather do this with water than alcohol. That being said, I would rather just wipe the outside rather than submerge them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.