Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been putting off a CPU upgrade for a while. I was waiting for Intel to finally catch up to AMD but Comet Lake was pretty underwhelming so I never rushed out to do it but planned to do a i9 10900k.
The thing is, I work in Post Production and even though I know Ryzen are a better deal, Adobe software works better with Intel still, and the single core speeds would be great for After Effects. Also I would need TB3 and Intel has that on everyone of their Mobos.
Nevertheless, I feel like Intel must be working on something great no? I fear there will be conference soon like the Nvidia Ampere and they will announce some new huge leap in CPUs. So should I at least wait to hear what AMD announces in October? Because potentially they may at least get their single core CPU speed up no? Potentially maybe up their Thunderbolt support up? I know you should always upgrade only when you NEED to, and for the most part my CPU is okay but it is like 6 years old and I have noticed it being really sluggish lately. I feel like once I upgrade I will be like whoa I definitely needed that. Here is my current build.

i7 5820k Asus Strix 2080ti 64gb Crucial DDR 4 2400 DIMM Asus Rampage V Extreme ATX2011E Crucial SSD 960 gb M500 Corsair AX1200I Digital ATX PSU CORSAIR HYDRO H105I LIQUID COOLER

·
Registered
94 Posts
intel recently released the 10900k and probably wont release anything for another 10 months.

As for intel working on something great - they might be but i doubt it, they have had setbacks in the CPU department with 10nm and moving to new architecture so i doubt it.

Best to wait 1 month for new ryzen benchmarks vs to 10xxx series and make a informed decision then.

If you really cant wait the 10900k is a great CPU.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
intel recently released the 10900k and probably wont release anything for another 10 months.

As for intel working on something great - they might be but i doubt it, they have had setbacks in the CPU department with 10nm and moving to new architecture so i doubt it.

Best to wait 1 month for new ryzen benchmarks vs to 10xxx series and make a informed decision then.

If you really cant wait the 10900k is a great CPU.
I was actually thinking of the i9 10850k. Seems like the same as the 10900k no? It's also on sale for $450 vs the price gouging for the 10900k.

So based off my current build with the i7 5820k there is no real emergency? I won't see anything too major speed wise? What about overclocking? How much more speed you think I could squeeze out of this thing? I know nothing about overclocking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was actually thinking of the i9 10850k. Seems like the same as the 10900k no? It's also on sale for $450 vs the price gouging for the 10900k.

So based off my current build with the i7 5820k there is no real emergency? I won't see anything too major speed wise? What about overclocking? How much more speed you think I could squeeze out of this thing? I know nothing about overclocking.
i9 10850k seems to be a lower bin 10900k - if you dont care much for overclocking and use them out of the box the difference would be negligible.

Only you can say if its good enough for you, if you feel its too slow then get a new one but if you can wait then wait.

I am sure overclocking your CPU will give you improvement, but it depends on your cooling set up what you can squeeze out of it. Google overclocking guides and learn the basics, im sure there are people on this forum if you make a post about it that can tell you the improvements for your CPU

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,701 Posts
considering you are on the R5E motherboard, have you played around with single core boosting?

When I had my R5E, it was quite a treat to have my 5930k boosting single core to 4.8ghz, 2x cores to 4.6ghz, and all core 4.0 to keep things snappy, yet cool. My personal 5930K needed a LOT of voltage to satisfy 4.8ghz, hence why I was very reluctant to try an all core that high. Even my 280mm AIO with a pair of Industrial Noctua fans at full tilt could not keep temps from spiking above 80*C.

Plus the quad channel ram makes memory intensive stuff a piece of cake. I hit over 60gbs read speed with CL15 2133mhz ECC ram lol

This should help keep you alive on your system a bit longer, as I would recommend waiting til the dust settles in the next month or two. Its alreayd hard enough to find Intel chips for reasonable prices, and lots of people will be upgrading for the enw graphics cards, so you might be able to find a 7900X for a good deal. 10 cores, quad channel ram, and a MUCH better memory controller to make use of good memory clocks.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
It won't hurt you waiting to see what AMD comes with earlier next month, last Intel update was casting doubt about their new node plans and they mentioned they are having issues with their new design. that's why they are only pushing laptop chips only at the moment.

I'd say wait for the AMD Announcements and the independent benchmarks, if you don't like what you see then you can check the 10900K or the 10850K/

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
1000% wait to see what Zen 3 does.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Wait for Zen3.

I have an RE5 with a 5960x OC to 4.4 on a custom water cooled rig with a GTX 1080TI. I also have a 9900k OC'd to 5 with an AIO and a GTX2080TI. In addition a 3900x custom watercooled along with a custom cooled RAD VII.

The 5960x is still a solid cpu.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Going back to the DDR2 to DDR 3.
There was not that much difference at 1st between DDR2 1066 and DDR 3 1200. Plus the 1090T was not much faster in the DDR 3 board. The real boost came with the 790 FX chips and DDR 3 1600.
So If the next gen will not work in a X370 mother board. I will either remove the 1600 in it park a 3700 or a 3800X in it and wait for the DDR 5 boards to mature.
Then there is the $ part of the equation The CH6 was $270 and 1600 was $220 and 2x8 Flare 2400 was $180 3 years ago. I have 32 Gb of of Flare 3200 in it now.
The 1600 does OK with 3850 Mhz and 3200 Mhz RAM.
The CH7 is going for $380 now. Yes the mother board does make a big difference. Especially when the BIOS gets tuned up right.
Besides the GTX 690 is getting long in the tooth (8 years old). Still works fine. Spending $500 on GPU makes more sense.
Will not be spending $1000 on a GPU again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
considering you are on the R5E motherboard, have you played around with single core boosting?

When I had my R5E, it was quite a treat to have my 5930k boosting single core to 4.8ghz, 2x cores to 4.6ghz, and all core 4.0 to keep things snappy, yet cool. My personal 5930K needed a LOT of voltage to satisfy 4.8ghz, hence why I was very reluctant to try an all core that high. Even my 280mm AIO with a pair of Industrial Noctua fans at full tilt could not keep temps from spiking above 80*C.

Plus the quad channel ram makes memory intensive stuff a piece of cake. I hit over 60gbs read speed with CL15 2133mhz ECC ram lol

This should help keep you alive on your system a bit longer, as I would recommend waiting til the dust settles in the next month or two. Its alreayd hard enough to find Intel chips for reasonable prices, and lots of people will be upgrading for the enw graphics cards, so you might be able to find a 7900X for a good deal. 10 cores, quad channel ram, and a MUCH better memory controller to make use of good memory clocks.
I was thinking of overclocking. Will that make my system unstable? I have no idea how to even begin to approach doing that. Any ideas where to start? Did you also have the same motherboard? Any advise on where to begin? You hip was a higher model than my 5820k, but is mine still good for overclocking?

If I went from 3.6 mhz to 4.4, how much of a boost would that be? Won't I be bottleneck by older mem caches and lower IPC?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait for Zen3.

I have an RE5 with a 5960x OC to 4.4 on a custom water cooled rig with a GTX 1080TI. I also have a 9900k OC'd to 5 with an AIO and a GTX2080TI. In addition a 3900x custom watercooled along with a custom cooled RAD VII.

The 5960x is still a solid cpu.
But I have the 5820k. Pretty sure what you have was the really high end CPU of that generation.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,881 Posts
Wait to see what Zen 3 brings. Rumor has it there's a substantial performance increase but we'll have to wait for more concrete information to come out to know for sure.

Besides the GTX 690 is getting long in the tooth (8 years old). Still works fine. Spending $500 on GPU makes more sense.
The GTX 690 last I saw is still commanding around $200 in good working condition on ebay. I sold my GTX 680 for $100 a year or so back. The second hand video card market is very strange. And to add further to that, many of these older GTX 6 series video cards are being used to upgrade old iMac's so are in fairly high demand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts