Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Our insider just gave us the first official "unconfirmed" specifications of the next generation Galaxy S, the Galaxy S IV. The Galaxy S IV will no longer use the Samsung EXYNOS processor and according to the latest rumours this processor has overheating issues. Today we can confirm Samsung will use the Snapdragon 600 and it is clocked at 1.9 Ghz which is 0.2 Ghz higher than the HTC One. The Galaxy S IV will have 2 GB of RAM and will come in three variants 16, 32 or 64 GB. As the rumours earlier reported Samsung is going to use a Full HD display. The Galaxy S IV uses a 4,99″ Full-HD SoLux Display we have no information if this is based on LCD3 like the HTC One. But a couple of months ago we posted the first hint regarding Samsung's LCD factory is ready to produce Full HD panels from early 2013. And we also know Samsung's AMOLED factory does have many problems with the production of full HD AMOLED screens.
Quote:
- 4,99″ Full-HD SoLux Display
- Snapdragon 600 1.9 Ghz
- 2 GB RAM
- 16, 32 or 64 GB
- 13 Megapixel
- 140.1 x 71.8 x 7.7mm
- 138 gram
- Home button with touch buttons
- Plastic back with aluminium sides
- Removable battery
- Black / White
If this is true things just got interesting. Glad they kept the capactive buttons, not a fan of software buttons using up screen real estate.

Source

·
Banned
6,502 Posts
Excellent.

Snapdragon may mean better open source work.

Full HD screen

One important piece of information is missing... SD Card. Removable battery should indicate this is present, though.

This is the 2013 phone
biggrin.gif

Though, I hope the extra 0.2GHz isn't for bragging rights, and they actually have no issues with it? There must be a reason HTC went with 1.7GHz.

·
Banned
997 Posts
Um.. okay

My Note II's SAMOLED+ screen looks perfectly fine to me.
Also the Exynos 4412 is infinitely cooler than my infuse with a SINGLE CORE exynos.
Troll article?

LCDs used look so washed out, but maybe they've fixed that now. I don't know. We'll see. LCD also takes away precious mm of space in the phone that you get with the OLED paper thin display.

I'm not mad, but I can't believe they're serious.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
good good i think i will keep my galaxy s3 till S5, but i like the S4 stats. It's an upgrade i just hope the display is good even though its not AMOLED

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
Sad to say goodbye to the OLED display, rich blacks, vibrant colors, excellent viewing angles and the ability to use almost no power while still having information displayed on the screen were all wonderful features for smartphones.

The processor on the other hand? Who cares as long as it works.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
The processor and screen were 2 of the only reasons to ever consider a Samsung device. Now those are out of the window.

As for the extra .2ghz..you can simply OC the HTC One to over 2ghz I can only assume.

At 1.9Ghz and a normal LCD screen I can't imagine battery life will be excellent on the Samsung.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post

Sad to say goodbye to the OLED display, rich blacks, vibrant colors, excellent viewing angles and the ability to use almost no power while still having information displayed on the screen were all wonderful features for smartphones.

The processor on the other hand? Who cares as long as it works.
Agreed.

I would still like to more info about the GPU though. Hoping for a PowerVR.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Excellent.

Snapdragon may mean better open source work.

Full HD screen

One important piece of information is missing... SD Card. Removable battery should indicate this is present, though.

This is the 2013 phone
biggrin.gif

Though, I hope the extra 0.2GHz isn't for bragging rights, and they actually have no issues with it? There must be a reason HTC went with 1.7GHz.
I'm curious too especially since the big.LITTLE setup they were originally going to use would allow for power saving. Now just having a straight up higher clocked Qualcomm 600 changes it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonka16 View Post

Um.. okay

My Note II's SAMOLED+ screen looks perfectly fine to me.
Also the Exynos 4412 is infinitely cooler than my infuse with a SINGLE CORE exynos.
Troll article?

LCDs used look so washed out, but maybe they've fixed that now. I don't know. We'll see. LCD also takes away precious mm of space in the phone that you get with the OLED paper thin display.

I'm not mad, but I can't believe they're serious.
Why would this be a troll article? All the rumors are pointing to Samsung having issues with Exynos so more than likely they'll just push it back to the Note 3 and stick with Qualcomm for the SIV, thus keeping their launch on time. With HTC and Motorola releasing heavy hitters Samsung can't afford delays.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My only problem with the snapdragon 600 (adreno 320 ) is the lack of support of open gl es 3.0, and so-so graphics performance. The Exynos 5 with a mali t658mp8 would've been much faster, as will the Snapdragon 800's Adreno 330.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6steven9 View Post

So does this mean it won't have this "unbreakable" screen they spoke of?
Samsung+unbreakable lol. Gotta' see that. The S3 broke like sugar glass.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Ha, not at all
biggrin.gif

Also, to the guy saying using barely any power... did you use an S3? The display drew much of the power.
I currently own a S3, and had a S1 before it.

When I said "ability to use almost no power while displaying information", I literally meant it as that. I never said that it wasn't a power hog under normal screen-on use.

To elaborate, black pixels draw pretty much no power, so applications designed to use just a few non-black pixels for, say, a clock, could be run all night long and the battery would still be 50% or so in the morning.

In the case of the original Galaxy S, which had no LED status indicator, I was able to use an application called NoLED to display a 4 pixel colored square in the corner of the screen to indicate that I had a notification. This app was running 24/7 and probably kept my screen "on" for more than half of the day, yet battery life only took perhaps a 10% hit.

At any rate, my point is the technology is perfect for mobile devices, regardless of whether or not mainstream users have actually made full use of it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post

Do you or have you owned an S3? I've owned mine since last summer and it's been through hell and the screen is in tip top shape.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintricate View Post

Quote:

Do you or have you owned an S3? I've owned mine since last summer and it's been through hell and the screen is in tip top shape.
If I told you I've broken an S3 screen, would that make me any more credible?

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintricate View Post

Quote:

I bought 2 S3s at the same time. One for myself to replace my S1, and another for my mother to replace her HTC G1.

Mine is in pristine condition, my mother has shattered her screen twice, her camera lens 3 times, and literally snapped the phone in half like a twig (including the battery) once.

Hers has been in a case it's entire life. In fact she broke the first case (generic tmobile case) when she snapped the second phone in half - replaced it with an otterbox defender cause, well, it should be obvious. Mine on the other hand was caseless for the first month before my case arrived in the mail.

It's all about the user, not the device.

·
Banned
997 Posts
My infuse's glass did not break despite PURPOSELY throwing it full force at brick walls a couple times. I don't know what people do to break their phones exactly. Sure my old infuse has severe brain damage now, but it still works if you don't bump it too much.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
I understand that high color saturation and contrast looks good at first glance, but after editing and viewing some of my photos on various devices, I think color accuracy is more important. My laptop screen was completely blue before I adjusted it. I uploaded a Facebook profile pic and had to fix it afterwards when I saw what it really looked like. I applaud Samsung for switching.
Quote:

No, your experience doesn't mean that the S3 is fragile in general. Statistics would be more useful.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.