Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up 2 Samsung 1TB F3's tomorrow, I want to give short stroking in RAID 0 a whirl. Note this drive will be for apps and data, my OS is installed on the X25-M ssd.

1) What size partition would you recommend?

2) SATA ports 1-5 on the Asus P5Q Pro are all controlled by the ICH10R? I can drop the F3's on two of these and set up in BIOS and I should be good to go?

Anything else I need to consider?

thx.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
When I short stroked my 2 Western Digital 500gb Hard Drives I set the partition size to 250GB so 25% of total space.So I would recommend you go for a 500gb partition size (so 25% of 2000GB=500gb).Make sure you leave the remainder 1.5TB unpartioned.This will ensure the you get an improvement in access times.Mine went from 11.5ms to about 8.2ms after short stroking.Noticed a difference .Apps started faster.Loading times in games imrooved and the Operating system inself was faster
Use either 64kb or 128kb stripe size when setting up Raid 0.I used 128kb myself.Better results in HD Tune.
Also make sure you back up any important info in case one of the hard drives fail.If one fails you lose everything on that Raid 0 configuration.

• Rep+
Reactions: moward

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I run two in raid and short stroked them at first just to get a feel for the differences. I ended up just using all 2000gb as the drives are fast either way. These are on ICH10R too.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moward
View Post

I'm picking up 2 Samsung 1TB F3's tomorrow, I want to give short stroking in RAID 0 a whirl. Note this drive will be for apps and data, my OS is installed on the X25-M ssd.

1) What size partition would you recommend?

2) SATA ports 1-5 on the Asus P5Q Pro are all controlled by the ICH10R? I can drop the F3's on two of these and set up in BIOS and I should be good to go?

Anything else I need to consider?

thx.

The general rule of thumb is 20% or under and you'll see a very nice preformance boost.
I just got my first sammy F3 the other day and gotta save a little to get another so i can put these in raid0 on my sig rig.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked the drives up today - installed them.

Then went into the BIOS and realised I have my SSD set up to use AHCI...

So no RAID possible straight off the mobo - any recommendations for cheapish RAID cards?

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Read my mini-faq on Short Stroking - a lot of good feedback posted beyond just my initial post, especially some results.
As to your onboard ICH10R, it's as good as it gets unless you go up to a dedicated card, which is not going to give you better performance, just won't impact your system as much (which will be trivial to begin with)..
..a

·
Registered
222 Posts
erm u can swap the onboard to RAID and it still does achi
, in terms of not having to reinstall windows, there was a utility i found by googling that worked for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts