Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello overclockers. Today I'm gonna be checking out the Samson Meteor USB Microphone.

(Full disclosure: I could not find this product on the "reviews" section of this site and because the site crashed each time I attempted to add it as a product I decided to review it here on the forums instead. I hope that clears up any confusion if this review looks like it belongs in that section of this site.)

The Samson Meteor is a general purpose USB condenser microphone designed to be used for a wide variety of applications such as voice-overs, Skype calls, and even light musical production.

Inside the packaging you'll find a 7-foot USB cable for connecting the microphone to your computer, a black storage pouch, a product registration card, a Sound Deck software card, and a simple yet surprisingly useful quick start guide.

As for the microphone itself, you'll find the entire body finished in a smooth, glossy chrome giving it a very durable and almost luxurious feel in the hands. All this chrome gives the Meteor a nice heft to it which is unsurprising given that the only plastic you'll find are on the volume knob and mute button. And while this shiny finish definitely adds to the somewhat retro aesthetic of the Meteor it also makes it a fingerprint magnet so if you plan on moving it frequently then be prepared for smudges. However, if you plan on keeping it in one place or using an external stand mount then this shouldn't be a problem. As for the integrated stand, it can be a little slippery on a very smooth surface but works very well otherwise. Since all three legs are on hinges you can easily adjust the legs to better suit your position. You can tilt the microphone upwards to face your head better or angle it downwards to record a guitar at hip-level, for example. And when you need to pack up the Meteor all you have to do is fold the legs up and it will shrink down to half it's size for easy transport.

Getting set-up with the Meteor is very simple. Just connect the included USB cable to the back of the microphone, plug the other end into your Mac or PC, and you're ready to go. If you want to monitor sound input and listen to yourself as you record, all you have to do is connect a pair of headphones into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the back and adjust the volume to your liking. Just keep in mind that the volume knob doesn't control the actual input volume of the microphone, just the headphone out (you'll need to use the Volume Mixer in Windows or the Audio MIDI Setup in OS 10 to control mic levels). Right in the center of the volume knob is a mute button which will definitely come in handy if you plan on using the Meteor for chatting with friends, making conference calls, or any similar activity. The final handy feature of the Meteor is an activity light that shines blue when the mic is powered, flashes red when clipping, and turns orange when muted.

Now, if you've ever used the integrated mic off a laptop, webcam, or headphone you'll know there's a lot to be desired in terms of sound quality (and this goes for whole ton of other devices with integrated mics as well). But being a dedicated external microphone, the Meteor doesn't disappoint. After testing and comparing the it to different mics over the past few weeks the Meteor proved best in every scenario. This is mostly due to the fact that the Meteor isolates the voice better than lower-quality mics and generally doesn't let in very much external noise below 70% volume. Sound wise, there's no competition: vocals are clear and crisp and have just the right amount of warmth and smoothness to them whereas every cheap/integrated microphone sounded dull and veiled by comparison. It's also clear that the Meteor was designed with a wide variety of users in mind given how forgiving it is with different types of voices - whether you have a very high-pitched voice or a deep, raspy one there's always enough detail and clarity to make out anything being said. Now, you can't expect a microphone of this caliber to give you the vocal qualities of an expert narrator or a voice-over artist but it's definitely a huge improvement over anything attached to a laptop or headphone. And If you're planning on buying the Meteor (or anything similar) I highly suggest you play around with input settings, volume, and placement so you can find the optimal configuration for your setup. I'd also suggest is a pop filter (like the one imaged above) if you're going to be speaking directly into the microphone or just a few inches away from it.

Overall, the Samson Meteor provides a good upgrade and an excellent alternative to most mics you'll find on everyday devices. Its solid build quality, convenient features, clever design, and simple plug-and-play configuration make it a great choice for those looking for an easy all in one package. And at a price of only $70 (and even lower if you look around) it certainly gets my recommendation.

Good luck and thanks for reading!
smile.gif

1 - 1 of 1 Posts