Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hesitating in between the 226bw and w2207. Actually I trust Samsung more but the new HP w2207 looks really attractive.
Please give some advice for my final decision. I want to get either one by next week!

(As you guys know, w2207's screen is glossy. I heard non-glossy screen is better for eye. True?
;One more thing, are those TN screen? Any idea?)

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
I personally would go with the Samsung. It has a better response time and no built in speakers. Plus like you said, Samsung is well known for great monitors.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The OP probably isn't even going to come back, but oh well.

I've had a chance to operate both of these monitors and there's a difference in quality that favors the Samsung. HOWEVER, the HP offers HDCP compliance which I am not sure if the Samsung offers. The glossy screen wasn't actually bad, but I can't say that I favored it during usage, either.

The Samsung 226 is a sure shot for those who don't need anything more than a DVI in and VGA in connection.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I never use Portrait mode. LoL.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Definitely the Samsung. I have the 20-inch version of that model, and it has no gloss to the screen, which means 0 reflections, which means true monitor color, and precision.

The HP is HIGH-gloss, I checked both of them out at CompUSA, and trust me, the gloss was the biggest factor in my deciding, due to how glossy, and glass-like the monitor looked. I mean, it looks very very nice with Vista (The HP), but in a room with any regular lighting, or even from the sun itself, you'd see reflections of anything that had light hitting it... like a mirror finish.

Samsung still has the exact same clearity, for the same price, with their name behind the product.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guffeh
View Post

Definitely the Samsung. I have the 20-inch version of that model, and it has no gloss to the screen, which means 0 reflections, which means true monitor color, and precision.

The HP is HIGH-gloss, I checked both of them out at CompUSA, and trust me, the gloss was the biggest factor in my deciding, due to how glossy, and glass-like the monitor looked. I mean, it looks very very nice with Vista (The HP), but in a room with any regular lighting, or even from the sun itself, you'd see reflections of anything that had light hitting it... like a mirror finish.

Samsung still has the exact same clearity, for the same price, with their name behind the product.

I personally don't have that problem. I really love the Gloss on the HP and I don't find it conflicts with any lighting or sun. Maybe that's just me. However, I do envy the portrait mode of the Samsung. That is such a cool feature!

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
I just picked up the Samsung 226BW yesterday on my way home from work. It's so so worth the money invested. I almost forgot to get enough sleep last night because I was in awe.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I picked up the HP instead. The glossy coating won me over.
Just go to Circuit City and try them both.

Also, the base on the W2207 is better.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
I like my hp w2007 which is the exact same monitor but in a 20" version. I think the image is better than the Samsung, but it's entirely up to your eyes.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I currently have a w2007 and I owned a 205BW about a year ago. I would say in rough comparison that the HP is at least 2x better than the Samsung.

Samsung= Backlight bleed, flimsy stand, uneven backlighting and color uniformity issues, poor viewing angle, dead pixels, overpriced.

HP= win.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts