Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing my new Samsung 840 Pro and the RIIIE mobo only has native 3Gb/s ports (Intel), and two 6Gb/s but these are Marvell.
Sean's SSD Optimization Guide recommends not using the Marvell, but I'm concerned the 3Gb/s ports will hold back performance.
Or is the SSD nowhere near saturating 3Gb/s speeds?

Looks like 3Gb/s = 384MB/s, which seems lower than Samsung's max advertised speeds :/

Thanks!
crazyap7

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
In terms of real world performance it's not going to be a noticeable difference, so don't worry about it
smile.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: crazyap7

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

In terms of real world performance it's not going to be a noticeable difference, so don't worry about it
smile.gif
Alright, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

If I were you I'd bench the 840 Pro with AS-SSD on both the Marvel controller and the native SATAII and see if there is a significant difference.
Do you recommend I install Windows (I'm doing a complete wipe) using the Intel SATA ports to avoid driver weirdness, install everything I need, then switch it over to Marvell and compare results?

Repped
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You dont even have to bench on Marvell port if you first dont overclock pci-e line to 110mhz.
Definitely install windows on Intel ports.

• Rep+
Reactions: crazyap7

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorHvar View Post

You dont even have to bench on Marvell port if you first dont overclock pci-e line to 110mhz.
Definitely install windows on Intel ports.
Care to expand on the PCI-E bus overclocking? I understand what you mean but what kind of Marvell performance boost would I get from it?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The tradeoff for OCing the PCIE bus is not noticeable in Real World situations like gaming. OCing the PCIE bus will only get you a few more frames, or cause instability. Worst it can do is fry your system, or GPU, or both. If you have your ICH on water(who does that), then there is added safety in the OC, but the OC of the PCIE bus, again, will not reap rewards. The only time you should really OC your PCIE bus is when you have a really high CPU OC, but then you will also need to adjust the ICH voltage for stability as well.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You need to try,every board is different and every ssd is different.Crucial M4 without overclock pci-e line 370mb/s,with overclock pci-e line 430mb/s.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post

The tradeoff for OCing the PCIE bus is not noticeable in Real World situations like gaming. OCing the PCIE bus will only get you a few more frames, or cause instability. Worst it can do is fry your system, or GPU, or both. If you have your ICH on water(who does that), then there is added safety in the OC, but the OC of the PCIE bus, again, will not reap rewards. The only time you should really OC your PCIE bus is when you have a really high CPU OC, but then you will also need to adjust the ICH voltage for stability as well.
I have a full block on the RIIIE, so ICH is covered, but I'll be wary about system instability. I'll bench on Intel and Marvell with the PCIE at stock and see where that takes me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorHvar View Post

You need to try,every board is different and every ssd is different.Crucial M4 without overclock pci-e line 370mb/s,with overclock pci-e line 430mb/s.
As noted above, I'd hate to fry/destabilize my sistem to get an unnoticeable change in transfer speed :/

EDIT:
Additionally, can I install Intel RST and those drivers if the ports are non-Intel?

·
Storage Nut
21,138 Posts
Intel. Seq speeds don't matter. I'd rather stability and less latency over a tiny bit faster seq speeds any day.

Marvell ports get you ~400MB/s seq read while the SATA 2 will get you ~280MB/s. However, access times/latency will be less on the intel ports and 4K speeds should be little better on Intel. That is what you notice. Tho the performance difference b/w both is hardly noticeable due to the magnitude of difference b/w a SSD and a HDD and the OS optimization.

Quote:
Additionally, can I install Intel RST and those drivers if the ports are non-Intel?
Yea, it will just not have control over/affect the Marvell ports. Only the Intel.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Intel. Seq speeds don't matter. I'd rather stability and less latency over a tiny bit faster seq speeds any day.

Marvell ports get you ~400MB/s seq read while the SATA 2 will get you ~280MB/s. However, access times/latency will be less on the intel ports and 4K speeds should be little better on Intel. That is what you notice. Tho the performance difference b/w both is hardly noticeable due to the magnitude of difference b/w a SSD and a HDD and the OS optimization.
Yea, it will just not have control over/affect the Marvell ports. Only the Intel.
Alright, so I should go ahead and stick to the Intel ports until I get a board with native 6Gb/s support?
smile.gif

Thanks Sean!
I've used your guide to setup 5 different friends' computers, so, ima go ahead and go with what you say
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

I used Marvell for 6 months before i bought another m4 and made Raid.I didnt use it because it was slower but because on my X58 Marvell was faster then Intel sata2.When it was on sata2 i every time need to look windows logo,with Marvell never saw logo.Windows did boot faster,games was booting faster,mkvmerge muxing faster,everything was working faster.
O and i forget to say that my pci-e line was overclocked to 110mhz for that six months and i never had one problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts