1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm deciding between these two SSD's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147398

From what I have read, the performance advantage of the SATA M.2 is pretty minimum, if it all, but there may be motherboard compatibility issues with the M.2 not achieving full speeds? The SSD will be paired with a ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero MB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132565

Reading the manual for the mobo, it looks like I lose two SATA ports when the M.2 is used, but that will be a non-issue as the SSD will be only drive I have in the build. I use external USB 3.0 drives for all my media. Main reason why I want to get an M.2 is because of cable management.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
M.2 is faster but can run hotter and cleaner install. 2.5 is cooler and slower.

for me i like having the cleaner install but to me the difference in speed is not that big of a deal to me at this time as ssd's are fast enough.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfig View Post

M.2 is faster but can run hotter and cleaner install. 2.5 is cooler and slower.

for me i like having the cleaner install but to me the difference in speed is not that big of a deal to me at this time as ssd's are fast enough.
Is the heat difference significant?

·
Registered
743 Posts
as a owner of both a m.2 250gb 850 evo and a sata 500gb 850 evo, performance wise there is really no difference. both ssd's fly and get about the same read and write speeds. it really doesn't matter which one you get in terms of performance.

the m.2 is nice if you don't plan on having other storage devices. can help make a super clean build.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJS54 View Post

Is the heat difference significant?
i don't have a use for a M.2 slot but that is from what i skimmed when they are talking about the samsung 850 pro version that it can get pretty hot during heavy use.

·
Gamer
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfig View Post

i don't have a use for a M.2 slot but that is from what i skimmed when they are talking about the samsung 850 pro version that it can get pretty hot during heavy use.
The Samsung 950 Pro is an NVMe SSD that uses PCIe instead of SATA, and it does get pretty hot (50-70C). I haven't tried a SATA III M.2 SSD, but I don't believe they have the same temperature issues, though being a smaller package than the 2.5" SATA III drives, they may run a bit hotter. I'm wondering if the reports of temperature concerns over M.2 are about the 950 Pro. Does anyone have real world examples of the temperatures seen by SATA III M.2 SSDs?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewbell View Post

The Samsung 950 Pro is an NVMe SSD that uses PCIe instead of SATA, and it does get pretty hot (50-70C). I haven't tried a SATA III M.2 SSD, but I don't believe they have the same temperature issues, though being a smaller package than the 2.5" SATA III drives, they may run a bit hotter. I'm wondering if the reports of temperature concerns over M.2 are about the 950 Pro. Does anyone have real world examples of the temperatures seen by SATA III M.2 SSDs?
well mine stays under 35c until my video cards (SLI) starts pumping out heat. then it rises to 45c during a long gaming session. my M.2 slot is between my top 980 and bottom 980. if i take out my second 980 then my M.2 850 evo always stays under 35c.

if you look at gut photos of the 850 evo it looks like samsung just shoved a M.2 ssd into a ssd enclosure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts