Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any benefits to using this SSD with Windows 7 versus Windows 10? I know that for Win7 there's some complications involved in making the drive bootable, however after that part is taken care of is there any performance difference between the 2 drives within the OS?

I imagine Windows 10 is "better suited" for the drive, but I'm not really sure that that means. In regards to boot speed, Windows 10 has a generally quicker boot up time over 7, so the drive shouldn't matter in this case.

However, what about opening applications, games, etc?

·
Registered
893 Posts
What complications? I'm using an M.2 SSD drive as my boot drive on my Win 7 laptop and I have no problems with it at all. It uses it like a normal Sata III drive. Now on a desktop you may lose a PCI Express x4 lane. This shouldn't matter unless you have a 2-way SLI and a soundcard on a non Enthusiast chipset. Not sure about Xeons

For games there isn't much of a noticeable gain since you're more limited by your other components such as RAM and especially processor to load up anything in a game. It's almost unnoticeable in real world applications except for benchmarks.
The only time you would notice the speed is when you are transferring super large files like 50gb+ .rar files from/to a Sata III SSD, at most you may shave off a couple seconds since Sata III SSDs are fast themselves.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I know there is a hotfix for windows 7 for the samsung 950. As far as a performance difference from what I have read was there wasn't any performance difference between the OS just that windows 7 requires that hotfix. Like the last post said you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in most everyday uses a few games may get a slight boost like Arma 3 multiplayer where it reads alot from the drive for the different mods. Other than that you may shave a second or two off the load times.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ohh right Windows 7 does not have an NVMw driver, the driver for the 950 pro is an .exe file that you cannot install until after the OS is installed :/

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/document/Samsung_NVMe_Driver_Installation_Guide.pdf

So a quick fix would be to use this when installing Win 7.

http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recom...e-Drivers.html
Place it on a usb or cd and point the windows installation to that location to be able to use the 950pro as an option for the OS install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts