Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of adding two 1tb drives raid 0 on my aorus x570 master for game storage. The 980 is slightly cheaper, which would be best vs 970 Evo plus.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Can't give a reliable answer, sorry, i'm not playing with NVME drives lately.
But just be aware, that manufacturers are playing the hide-and-seek game, with the products specs, Samsung included.

Some drives got their controller and NAND, swapped for lower quality ones.
So be sure that the drive you chose, hasn't been hijacked with lower specs, than the ones it originally came out.
Especially if you need the drives to sustain constant high load, instead of high loads bursts.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,494 Posts
I recommend the SK gold p31. Because Samsung started using a different controller on the Evo plus. So there are 2 different versions. And the 980 isn't any better.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I wouldn't bother with RAID 0. It's risky for your data if the array has an error. And there is minimal performance gain going from 3500 to 7000 MB/s, when I compare my 970 Evo Plus and 980 Pro.

Instead, I'd recommend you get a 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 2TB 980 or 2TB Kingston KC2500.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I recommend the SK gold p31. Because Samsung started using a different controller on the Evo plus. So there are 2 different versions. And the 980 isn't any better.
Nothing wrong with the new controller on the 970 Evo Plus, it's the same controller used in the 980 Pro. The sustained write speeds are crazy good if you write more than 12GB, and less than 60GB, when compared to the old 970 Evo Plus.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
when compared to the old 970 Evo Plus.
I have the 970 Evo plus..the speeds go down beyond 92gb on my test..but not that huge..it just sustains a 2200mb/sec speed in doing so..which for my terms are still good..(I have a tiered cache setup on an old 250gb SSD that helps it with that so speeds won't degrade hugely now even beyond the 92GB the speed doesn't drop)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so you think it would be better to not do two 1TB drives raid 0 and instead get one better 980 pro 2TB?

·
Robotic Chemist
4,302 Posts
Ok so you think it would be better to not do two 1TB drives raid 0 and instead get one better 980 pro 2TB?
Absolutely, RAID0 does more harm than good for real world performance with x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSDs. RAID0 adds latency where you care about it for bandwidth you don't care about (usually). With PCIe 4.0 drives it is completely unhelpful even in extreme situations. A 2TB 980 Pro or 970 Evo Plus is a better drive than 2x RAID0 of their 1TB siblings.

Unless your main concern is copying very large files to or from a drive that is also at least as fast, and you are willing to sacrifice a small amount of performance everywhere else. They also cannot be too big... SLC caches being what they are. :p

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely, RAID0 does more harm than good for real world performance with x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSDs. RAID0 adds latency where you care about it for bandwidth you don't care about (usually). With PCIe 4.0 drives it is completely unhelpful even in extreme situations. A 2TB 980 Pro or 970 Evo Plus is a better drive than 2x RAID0 of their 1TB siblings.

Unless your main concern is copying very large files to or from a drive that is also at least as fast, and you are willing to sacrifice a small amount of performance everywhere else. They also cannot be too big... SLC caches being what they are. :p
Ok I will return my two 970s and get a 980.
Small problem is I am a little ocd and I have my top 980 water-cooled so it would make me want to watercool the new lower 980.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,494 Posts
I have the 970 Evo plus..the speeds go down beyond 92gb on my test..but not that huge..it just sustains a 2200mb/sec speed in doing so..which for my terms are still good..(I have a tiered cache setup on an old 250gb SSD that helps it with that so speeds won't degrade hugely now even beyond the 92GB the speed doesn't drop)
But you don't want to raid across controllers. They should have named it differently. Like Evo++.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
But you don't want to raid across controllers. They should have named it differently. Like Evo++.
its more like Evo +-.. 🤣

for what purpose?? if you need more speed and larger capacity then just grab the higher end ones (with 2TB and up capacity) doing 7k reads and 5k writes..if you're only gaming it doesn't really serve any purpose as games won't reach those max speeds in most cases (except loading huge game assets)..for other purposes that isn't gaming RAID does make a difference (though pretty expensive)..

Just setup a tiered SLC cache if you just want to improve copy speeds and write speeds..you won't even need anything expensive at this point..

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its more like Evo +-.. 🤣

for what purpose?? if you need more speed and larger capacity then just grab the higher end ones (with 2TB and up capacity) doing 7k reads and 5k writes..if you're only gaming it doesn't really serve any purpose as games won't reach those max speeds in most cases (except loading huge game assets)..for other purposes that isn't gaming RAID does make a difference (though pretty expensive)..

Just setup a tiered SLC cache if you just want to improve copy speeds and write speeds..you won't even need anything expensive at this point..
I just want a separate drive to store games mainly without worrying about filling up my current 1tb os drive. I am pretty sure to get the 980 pro since I can take advantage of my 4.0 m.2 slot and all the features.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,336 Posts
I just want a separate drive to store games mainly without worrying about filling up my current 1tb os drive. I am pretty sure to get the 980 pro since I can take advantage of my 4.0 m.2 slot and all the features.
Then you need not worry about the write speed so much, which everyone is making a fuss about here. A plain 980 should suffice IMO if you are on PCIE 3.0, as cahce doesn't make that much of a difference for reads. For 4.0 go for the 980 Pro, the reads speeds will be better.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
then just get a 2TB (or up ) NvME drive..

I currently have 2TB Firecuda as Game Drive and I have a tiered cache drive setup (256GB, though I am planning to replace this with a 1TB or 512GB since I am almost 90% full capacity cache already) fully dedicated for the 2TB as additional cache

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
then just get a 2TB (or up ) NvME drive..

I currently have 2TB Firecuda as Game Drive and I have a tiered cache drive setup (256GB, though I am planning to replace this with a 1TB or 512GB since I am almost 90% full capacity cache already) fully dedicated for the 2TB as additional cache
I have not heard about cache drives. Do they work on x570 or help a gen 4 drive like the 980pro?

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
I have not heard about cache drives. Do they work on x570 or help a gen 4 drive like the 980pro?
Tiered cache..

Have a look there..perfectly works with NVME to NVME caching (much faster) or with SSD to NVME (and vice versa)..I use the latter with NVME to SSD cache since I just want loading time very fast (the point of overclocking and why I built my system), works wonders for me..

·
Robotic Chemist
4,302 Posts
Do they work on x570 or help a gen 4 drive like the 980pro?
It would work on X570, but it wouldn't help the 980 Pro. The 980 Pro would be the fast cache.

Or RAM caching, but I am not a fan. :p

·
Registered
678 Posts
It would work on X570, but it wouldn't help the 980 Pro. The 980 Pro would be the fast cache.

Or RAM caching, but I am not a fan. :p
I RAM drive. I shed tears when my PC uncovers an instability and reboots. Another incentive to stabilize my system even more!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts