Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm building my new system with a Asus Crosshair viii dark hero x570 and Ryzen 5800x.

I normally use two nmve in my systems. One for OS-programs and one for games.

Intel Optane 905p 480gb is really fast in random reads and latencies.
Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb is pcie gen4 and fast for long files.

Is it a good option to get this two? And which one use for OS and which for games?

I think the Optane will be best for OS and programs but also better go avoid stutter from games. I'm not sure.

Any help with this ?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,424 Posts
There is not going to be any difference whatsoever between any NVME drive for games so you might as well get the cheapest drive like a Corsair Force MP510 a PNY CS3030 or the Adata XPG SX8200 the difference is zero

Samsung NVME drives are way overpriced and the durability on the 980 is worse than on the older 970

What you could do is buy a cheaper drive but bigger drive where i live the Adata XPG SX8200 2 TB is cheaper than the 1 TB Samsung 980 Pro so unless its for work there is no reason to pay more for the Samsung its not faster or better

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Hi,
You're always limited to the slowest disk speed.
So having two of the same would be best as I believe you have now.

I would pass by the adata m.2 think they got caught putting slower hardware on them to save a buck since they are cheap for a reason
I sent back 3 because none came close to their read/ write speeds at all false advertising.
Adata also has pisspoor support.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
So having two of the same would be best as I believe you have now.

I would pass by the adata m.2 think they got caught putting slower hardware on them to save a buck since they are cheap for a reason
I sent back 3 because none came close to their read/ write speeds at all false advertising.
Adata also has pisspoor support.
So which option will be better? 2x Samsung 980 Pro or 2x intel Optane?

Mainly for gaming (and some benchmark).

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Hi,
I always wondered about the gigabyte pci-e 4 m.2's personally.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,424 Posts
Both of them and none of them they are the same it does not matter
Why do you want to spend twice as much when it makes zero difference whatsoever

The 980 is a ripoff its more than twice the price of the Adata XPG SX8200

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Hi,
lol kmart shoppers
980 pro at 230.us will likely match or exceed it's read/ write spec's for one which are impressive :)
Problem is they have not made a driver yet exclusive to it yet so speeds are slower atm but still way better than anything adata has which their **** is alway just on paper not in real tests.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I rather get the sn850 if its current gen. The issue with nvme is this. None of the gen4 have the 144 to 176 layer nand that just came out. Those will beat optane

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hi,
lol kmart shoppers
980 pro at 230.us will likely match or exceed it's read/ write spec's for one which are impressive :)
Problem is they have not made a driver yet exclusive to it yet so speeds are slower atm but still way better than anything adata has which their **** is alway just on paper not in real tests.
View attachment 2468140
Nvme research is hard. I found an user who has lot of info on developments and it’s interesting what next year gen 4 nvme can do overall. I would be willing to buy 2tb version of it based on that information

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Nvme research is hard. I found an user who has lot of info on developments and it’s interesting what next year gen 4 nvme can do overall. I would be willing to buy 2tb version of it based on that information
Hi,
Western digital is nice spec's and same price as sammy on that one not sure what their driver support is though.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hi,
Western digital is nice spec's and same price as sammy on that one not sure what their driver support is though.
So far i like the sn850. Though i really do have to use the sabrent rocket nvme cooler on it. That is because of 96layer nand being used. 176layer nand should be lower temperature, low latency and lower costs when used.

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
So far i like the sn850. Though i really do have to use the sabrent rocket nvme cooler on it. That is because of 96layer nand being used. 176layer nand should be lower temperature, low latency and lower costs when used.
Hi,
At least you can fit a cooler on it
Some of these new boards didn't leave enough room for a heatsink.

Just for the record here's the crappy adata lying spec's lol never come close

XPG SX8200 Pro specs.JPG

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hi,
At least you can fit a cooler on it
Some of these new boards didn't leave enough room for a heatsink.
True. The lucky part for me was my 960pro died on me randomly and out of samsung rma i got an 970pro out of it. Not bad at all

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
True. The lucky part for me was my 960pro died on me randomly and out of samsung rma i got an 970pro out of it. Not bad at all
Hi,
Yeah I ended up with 970 evo and an 970 evo plus both exceeded spec's after the 3 adata returns (y)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hi,
Yeah I ended up with 970 evo and an 970 evo plus both exceeded spec's after the 3 adata returns (y)
my plan longterm is at somepoint move that sn850 to my ps5 and replace the os/game drive with better nvmes and keep the 970pro as data storage (where mlc is preferred)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Wait out little longer. Rocket 4 Plus, Gammix S50 are coming. Currently sn850 is overall slightly better than 980pro. Drawback is sn850 using 96 layer nand and bics4 (gen3 stuff). Crucial will have new nvme early next year based on its 176 layer nand.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
905p is an outstanding OS drive. I notice a pretty significant difference in speed in the likes of Windows Update between my desktop and laptop, despite both being pretty similar (desktop is clocked higher and has faster memory and cache as well.) I honestly attribute that difference to my 900p outclassing the standard M2 SSD in the (Razer Blade 15) laptop.

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Hi,
Problem with 905p is it's stupid expensive.
I was looking at the U.2 version at one time and it's still stupid priced lol

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Tweaktown review of sn850 and latency. There’s also one on phison e18 (96 layer nand)

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,616 Posts
I rather get the sn850 if its current gen. The issue with nvme is this. None of the gen4 have the 144 to 176 layer nand that just came out. Those will beat optane
No it won't. It won't even come close.

Hi,
This is incorrect.

Hi,
Problem with 905p is it's stupid expensive.
The best is typically expensive, yes.

905p is an outstanding OS drive. I notice a pretty significant difference in speed in the likes of Windows Update between my desktop and laptop, despite both being pretty similar (desktop is clocked higher and has faster memory and cache as well.) I honestly attribute that difference to my 900p outclassing the standard M2 SSD in the (Razer Blade 15) laptop.
Agreed, though, for gaming it will make no appreciable difference.

Don't bother with Optane or even PCI-e 4.0 at all unless you plan on burning money anyway or happen to find a good deal. The review page I linked above looks fantastic, but the simple reality is that beyond a point, storage is no longer a significant bottleneck compared to other steps in the chain such as your CPU, and you will see no difference. Any good NVMe drive (SN850, 970 Pro, 980 Pro, P31, etc) will be indistinguishable from another in gaming.

If you really want to, get a 900p 280GB for your OS to make it snappy as can be (Ebay is fine, Optane is effectively unkillable) and a larger M.2 SSD for your games.

• Rep+
Reactions: maestro0428
1 - 20 of 62 Posts