Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one should I go for?

Samsung F3 (HD103SJ) 1TB Sata II 3.0gb/s 32MB cache (The fastest 7200rpm drive there was up to a few months ago)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804

or the newer Western Digital Black (WD6402AAEX) 640GB Sata III 6.0gb/s 64MB cache (performance worth the price/gb?)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/198228

Are there any other newer and faster HDD's out there (not SSDs, can't afford them yet). My Budget is up-to £70 ($100).

Thanks

P.S. I'll also get a Asus U3S6 Usb 3.0 Sata III adapter if the later drive is considerably faster.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'd go with the WD they will make SATA III MBs some day. But it will be good for a upgrade once they do come out.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgetiton View Post
I'd go with the WD they will make SATA III MBs some day. But it will be good for a upgrade once they do come out.
there are already a couple sata 3 mb's on newegg....

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
sata 3 is only really necessary SSD's,

If your motherboard doesn't support it, i'd just get sata II hdd's. The difference in mechanical drives is negligible

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post

If your motherboard doesn't support it, i'd just get sata II hdd's. The difference in mechanical drives is negligible
Thanks, that's helped me make my decision.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kRze.baLLiN!
View Post

Best bang for the buck are the Samsung F3 or the WD Blacks, sata II. If you have to buy a SATA III drive, you'll have to buy the adapter for it to get it to its full potental, and thats more $$$.

No... you won't get any real benefit with a SATA 6Gbps HDD.. so you can continue to use your SATA 3Gbps controller. You might see a slight increase in burst rate... but that's not really important.

·
Registered
174 Posts
F3 I will never use another HDD. Best 1tb drives I have ever owned. They are amazing at performance and the noise level is super low.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
never mind I was wrong

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753 View Post

jumping in here...should i bother getting a SATA III adapter since i do have a SSD?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris
View Post

jumping in here...should i bother getting a SATA III adapter since i do have a SSD?

No, unless you have the Crucial C300. Assuming you're talking about your x-25, it's controller was designed on Sata 3gbps, you wouldn't see any benefit if you were to put it on a Sata 6gbps adapter. All consumer SSDs approach the limits of Sata 3gbps but they aren't quite limited by it yet (with the exception of course being the C300); soon we'll see more consumer SSDs with Sata 6 capable speeds, but right now there's only one. Top of the lines hard drives barely max out Sata 1.5, only kissing Sata 3gbps when conditions are perfect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts