Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i posted a thread awhile back asking about droids and iphones. now i have narrowed it down to the iphone, and the facinate. i like the droid X. but it's simply too big for my pocket.

i went to the verizon store today. and they guy basically told me the facinate is the phone to get. but it will be running on the 2.2 version til further notice.

so i asked him another question. is that a camera on the front?
he replied. yes it is. at least it is on the korean version. but it's not supported. meaning locked away. there might be updates in the future for it. there might be not.

while i'm doing more search for the phone. i couldn't help reading more and more about people complaining about how it's so bloated and it'll need rooting so you can have the option of not using verizon's own pos navigator. i go to the city alot and often times asking for direction, so that would be a big plus.

as for rooting. i wouldn't mind doing it. but right now all my tests are coming up for the semester and i really don't think i have the time to spend on that.

i really hope this awesome phone isn't being locked down like hell by verizon, if anything i could just switch to the iphone
any insights would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kckyle View Post
i went to the verizon store today. and they guy basically told me the facinate is the phone to get. but it will be running on the 2.2 version til further notice.
I assume he meant 2.1 until further notice. 2.2 is coming though.

Quote:
so i asked him another question. is that a camera on the front?
he replied. yes it is. at least it is on the korean version. but it's not supported. meaning locked away. there might be updates in the future for it. there might be not.
The fascinate has no front facing camera. None.

Quote:
while i'm doing more search for the phone. i couldn't help reading more and more about people complaining about how it's so bloated and it'll need rooting so you can have the option of not using verizon's own pos navigator. i go to the city alot and often times asking for direction, so that would be a big plus
As with any phone, rooting and removing bloat will help. As for unusable maps, lol. It comes with bing maps (which doesn't seem bad by any means) and you can download google maps from the market.

The fascinate is a strange phone, it's an android that runs bing. It's possible, and very easy, to switch it back to google, but that's the main issue.

• Rep+
Reactions: kckyle

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyHeaven
View Post

I wouldn't touch it. They have much better choices. Remember you will be using this phone for a long time.

that's the thing. i'll be signing up for a 2 year contract. and all my life i been using verizon's pos v cast and not really accurate navigator. i thought this android os is going to be different but once again verizon has a foot in this territory.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyHeaven View Post
I wouldn't touch it. They have much better choices. Remember you will be using this phone for a long time.
Explain please? The galaxy S line is great

Quote:

Originally Posted by kckyle View Post
that's the thing. i'll be signing up for a 2 year contract. and all my life i been using verizon's pos v cast and not really accurate navigator. i thought this android os is going to be different but once again verizon has a foot in this territory.
You have the choice of free google maps and bing maps. Not sure what the problem is? And if you get a droid, you'll have the same bloat.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I doubting Verizon is going to be pushing this like they are their other phones with the Droid branding. Your going to have to root it in order to add google search to it. It's rumored that Verizon is doing this to their "low" end phones. I've also been told that it has by far the most bugs of any the Galaxy's S lines. The Galaxy S devices have a gps problem. There is a work around that improves the GPS locking. The Captivate is the only device to get a update on the gps problem.

I never had this phone. I've read a phone reviews. It's not sounding all the great in my opinion. The op is signing a 2 year contract. I'm just trying to help him get the best working device out of the box.

Out of curiosity how strong is the community base for this device? The epic is running it's own touchwiz and the other 2 devices are not cdma. I'm really thinking this phone is going to be forgetting about with the all the new droids Verizon is releasing.

What did you not like about the droids? Only thing I seen you mention was the droid x being too large. I agree with you. It's one of the reasons I didn't get a Evo.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyHeaven View Post
I doubting Verizon is going to be pushing this like they are their other phones with the Droid branding. Your going to have to root it in order to add google search to it. It's rumored that Verizon is doing this to their "low" end phones. I've also been told that it has by far the most bugs of any the Galaxy's S lines. The Galaxy S devices have a gps problem. There is a work around that improves the GPS locking. The Captivate is the only device to get a update on the gps problem.
I haven't heard of other bugs. The fact that the GPS is being updated would seem to indicate that it will happen with them all. In fact, the vibrant has a pretty decent gps fix of it's own, though it's not official. Neither is the captivates, the only gps fix it has seems to have come with the unofficial froyo.

If your referring to the other update, the one that everyone but engadget seemed to know had nothing to do with gps wasn't a gps update.

And it looks like Verizon is doing it to their non-droid phone, not the low end phones. The fascinate is evidence of that. There is several other high end phones, including a second Samsung phone and an HTC one on the way, all binged out. You can bet there is money in it for them, probably their way of making money on phones they don't feel like marketing. A way to keep deals with both microsoft and motorola perhaps?

Quote:
I never had this phone. I've read a phone reviews. It's not sounding all the great in my opinion. The op is signing a 2 year contract. I'm just trying to help him get the best working device out of the box.
That's not what you said, you said you would't touch it. Reasons why were significantly lacking. The fascinate, barring any major bugs that I haven't heard about, which is possible, should be an excellent phone with a different stock search provider. If you could elaborate on these bugs, post where you might have heard about them?

Only negative review of it I've seen is an Engadget review, which speaks for itself, and reviews that focus too much on bing, which is a several minute process to remove every part but the search button, none of which requires root.

Quote:
Out of curiosity how strong is the community base for this device? The epic is running it's own touchwiz and the other 2 devices are not cdma. I'm really thinking this phone is going to be forgetting about with the all the new droids Verizon is releasing.
The community should be pretty big. It's an SGS phone, things are pretty portable so far.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
My friend has the Fascinate, and bing doesn't hinder the android experience too much. Google maps can be downloaded, so the navigation will be good.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I have the Fascinate right now. Once you root it you can then remove the Bingness and install the needed Google search APKs that turn it back the way it should be. Take a look at the Android Central Fascinate forum. Lots of info on rooting and removing Bing.

This is what I have done to mine. Although I still have my Incredible....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts