Are you ready for the ultimate in ultra-wide PC gaming monitors? The 49-inch Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 QLED gaming monitor uses Samsung's NEO QLED display technology to provide PC gamers with an unmatched level of immersion.

With the Odyssey Neo G9, Samsung takes the already excellent Odyssey G9 and enhances it with a mini-LED backlight array, creating the ultimate in 32:9 aspect ratio curved gaming monitors. Due to its astounding performance, you can immerse yourself in the action of your favorite PC games while enjoying cutting-edge picture quality, all thanks to the mini-LED FALD panel that reproduces exceptional HDR and SDR graphics.

The ultra-wide aspect ratio of the 49" Odyssey Neo G9 is comparable to putting two QHD resolution 16:9 displays side by side, except that here the view is seamless, delivering a fully immersive viewing experience without an unsightly line running down the middle. The monitor's significant 1000R curvature is no gimmick; it provides immersion for gamers and optimizes the Neo QLED panel's picture quality performance by canceling out the effects of off-axis viewing on a VA LCD panel.

Additionally, the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 features a super-fast 240 Hz maximum refresh rate (albeit at reduced resolution) or 120 Hz at full double-QHD resolution. This capability is enhanced by the inclusion of NVIDIA G-SYNC and AMD FreeSync Premium Pro. These display technologies empower the gamer. You'll experience exceptionally smooth and low-latency gameplay on this Samsung.

When playing video games, the 32:9 aspect ratio provides a unique perspective that standard monitors cannot compete with. It has a native resolution of 5120x1440 (dual QHD), which means images are as sharp and detailed as they are vibrant. This monitor doubles as a powerful productivity tool when you're not gaming and can display multiple windows in a PC desktop environment, or else two altogether different sources simultaneously. For example, you can connect a PC and a cable box and a gaming console (or a 4K streamer) and view two at once, either side-by-side or using picture-in-picture. It is as adaptable as it is immersive.

The Odyssey Neo G9 bears the Quantum HDR2000 designation from Samsung, and it measures up in real life, with peak highlights that can exceed 2000 nits for brief flashes (in HDR Dynamic mode) and sustained brightness of over 1000 nits and full-screen brightness of around 600 nits. When it comes to HDR, this leaves nothing on the table; you'll be amazed at how realistically it renders lighting effects.

This monitor provides more than just impressive brightness; its wide color gamut capabilities cover 95 percent of the DCI-P3 space (used in commercial cinema and Ultra HD Blu-ray mastering) and 125 percent of the PC-standard sRGB color space. The resulting image quality is truly exceptional.

The Odyssey Neo G9 is a work of art in terms of aesthetics. It looks like it belongs on a United Federation of Planets starship. Additionally, gamers who enjoy lighting effects will appreciate Samsung's Infinity Core Lighting (a term used to describe Samsung's customizable LED accent lighting). And cable management is smartly integrated into the sleek, adjustable stand, ensuring that a tangle of cords does not detract from the overall modern aesthetic.

Key Features and Specifications

• Samsung Neo QLED display
  • 5120 x 1440 resolution
  • 32:9 aspect ratio
  • Around 2000 FALD zones
  • Highly adjustable stand
  • Excellent looking HDR
  • HDR10+ compatible
  • 1MS latency
  • Up to 240 Hz refresh rate
  • G-Sync
  • FreeSync Premium Pro
  • 2X HDMI 2.1 and 1X DisplayPort 1.4 inputs
  • 108.97 PPI pixel density
  • 1000R curve
  • Wide color gamut
  • Picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture modes
  • Factory calibrated
  • Over 2000-nit HDR highlights (dynamic)
  • Rated at 420 nit sustained full-screen brightness
  • 1ms "grey to grey" response
  • 2X USB 3 ports
  • Headphone jack

Unboxing and Initial Setup

The Odyssey Neo G9 is a showcase of Samsung's exceptional prowess in product design and ergonomics. It takes just a few minutes to assemble, and that is a hassle-free process. The solid stand has a minimalist design that nonetheless adjusts in height, tilt, and rotation for optimal placement, which is critical with such a large screen. There's also an adapter that allows for wall mounting or the use of third-party stands, but the included stand is excellent.

The Neo G9 has dual HDMI inputs, a DisplayPort input, a headphone jack, and a couple of USB ports.

On the rear panel, there is a detachable cover for easy cable management. It snaps on and covers your wires, concealing everything. And for a spotless appearance, the cables can be routed down the stem of the base.

When you turn on the Neo G9 for the first time, you'll notice the monitor delivers a crisp, highly accurate image that practically jumps off the screen. This monitor is factory calibrated, so you'll see highly accurate color with not even a smidgen of tint to it. The menu system smartly includes a "calibration report" that offers info about the accuracy (it is indeed calibrated) and lists the meter used to measure it—in this case, the industrial-quality Konica-Minolta CA-310 spectrophotometer.

Appropriate screen placement and seating position are required for the best viewing experience with the Odyssey Neo G9. The precise viewing distance is critical for two reasons: it minimizes geometric distortions from the curve, providing a natural-looking perspective. And sitting in the "sweet spot" lets you experience optimal picture quality from the VA LCD panel, maintaining edge-to-edge color and contrast without the falloff and color shift associate with flat panels when viewed close-up.

Additionally, and crucially, sitting in the optimal position provides the complete immersion that is the primary reason for investing in this state-of-the-art PC monitor.

The dual QHD resolution adds up to 7.37 million pixels, close to the 8.29 million of 4K but a little easier for a graphics card to drive, so you should see slightly higher framerates vs. 4K. The upshot is you'll still need a powerful PC graphics card to push the frame rates this monitor can achieve, but hey, this is OCN, right? That's the whole name of the game! My gaming PC is decent. It has an NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super and Intel Core i9-10900K, which works fine for my casual gaming needs. With this monitor my system achieved around 100 FPS (minimum 93 FPS, maximum 120 FPS) with Forza Horizon 4 with HDR active, 5120 x 1440 resolution and graphics settings on “Ultra”, so really, very little was left on the table in terms of the visual experience.

Beyond using it as a single ultra-wide screen, with the Odyssey Neo G9, you can connect multiple sources and select either picture-by-picture or picture-in-picture mode. The Neo G9 has numerous configuration options for determining which source goes where and which source produces the sound. Additionally, you can customize the size of the sub-display when using picture-in-picture mode.

Suppose you employ LED lighting effects in your gaming environment. In that case, there are options for setting that up, including static (with selectable color), rainbow, flashing, double-flashing, breathing, and perhaps most usefully, CoreSync that synchronizes the LED colors with what's on-screen.

The Odyssey Neo G9 has integrated, configurable CoreSync LED lighting effects

When SDR signals are fed into this display, various picture modes are available: Custom, High Brightness, FPS, RTS, RPG, AOS, sRGB, Cinema, and Dynamic Contras. Plus, these are two HDR modes: standard HDR and Dynamic HDR. Whichever mode you choose, it is mostly a matter of personal preference combined with the intended use, and all of them benefit from the included factory calibration. The main thing is you've got options, and finding the mode that's right for you is just a matter of checking out each setting.

The Hands-On Experience

I find the ultra-wide aspect ratio form factor to be highly enjoyable for gaming and a boon to PC productivity. I've used dual (and triple) monitor setups with Photoshop and video editing for many years, and what I love is how this Samsung gives you that screen real estate without dividing up the desktop. However, let us acknowledge, few PC users are purchasing this monitor to run Photoshop (although its great color and high contrast make it an excellent choice for photo editing). You are buying it for the immersive gaming experience it provides!

With the ultra-wide aspect ratio, first-person perspectives take on a "you are there" quality that puts you directly into the action in a way that's only exceeded by VR. I enjoy games based on driving and flying, whether it's the latest iteration of Forza Horizon 4 (waiting patiently for FH5) or the classic experience of Grand Theft Auto 5 or the hyper-real experience that is the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. I'm not super into FPS games, but needless to say, the expansive view is a benefit to any game that intends to emulate the qualities of human vision. With these sorts of games, the Odyssey Neo G9 delivers on its promise of envelopment and immersion. Indeed, in some ways, it is reminiscent of professional driving or flight simulators since the seamless display gives a realistic perspective that incorporates your peripheral vision, just like in real life.

Apart from games featuring driving and flying, the first-person perspective provides an incredibly compelling gaming experience in any title that uses it but is also great for third-person views. The ultra-wide aspect legitimately allows you to see more of the game world than a squarer monitor because it does not crop the scene to achieve the panoramic view; instead, it adds more of the scene to the screen. It offers the undeniable tactical benefit of competitive games, allowing you to see a competitor or enemy lurking at the edges that would be invisible to you if using a 16:9 or even 21:9 monitor.

Anyhow, with both car racing and first-person games, the monitor's perspective closely matches what your eyes can see, creating an immersive rendition of the game world that's as real as it gets without strapping VR goggles onto your face.

I'm a creature of habit, so if I'm going to spend time playing a game, it's likely to be Grand Theft Auto Online (too much invested in that game, lol), Forza Horizon 4, or else video pinball (which sadly does not benefit from ultra-wide, but you can always just feed the Neo G9 a standard QHD signal with side letterbox and still enjoy the rest of its picture quality and fast performance). Additionally, I enjoy revisiting an all-time classic that has been modernized, Burnout Paradise Remastered… I love that game's sense of speed. And, more recently, I've added Microsoft Flight Simulator to the mix, a "game" that, perhaps more so than the others, benefits from the 32:9 aspect ratio.

What I'm getting at is the Odyssey Neo G9 enhances the gaming experience and offers PC users a visual treat that you simply cannot get from console gaming.

Burnout Paradise Remastered immediately drove home the advantages of the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9's benefits. Upgrade the graphics on a classic game, and you can justify revisiting it. However, when you combine a 32:9 aspect ratio, high frame rates, ultra-low input lag, brilliant colors, and eye-popping contrast, it feels brand-new. The effect of having scenery zoom past in your peripheral vision injects an adrenaline rush into the proceedings that are lacking in less immersive display solutions.

In the first-person view, traveling through Los Santos is both cinematic and hyper-realistic in GTA V, which constantly improves thanks to a steady stream of updates. You have the impression that your character is in Los Santos. The overall effect is best described as "enhanced suspension of disbelief," whereby you almost forget that you're not in the game. GTA V offers numerous opportunities to fully utilize the ultra-wide aspect, regardless of how you play it (first-person or third-person, racing, flying, or running around shooting at competing players).

Microsoft Flight Simulator can be a fun “game” if you are into flying, but it stands apart from the others because it is also a genuine simulator. Thanks to this title's realism, if you master flying a plane in it, you'll be one step closer to being able to fly that plane in real life. Here, as far as it gets from being a gimmick, the ultra-wide view and hyper-real graphics are essential for creating a simulation that replicates reality. Furthermore, the game's detailed graphics and natural lighting definitively demonstrate the potential of HDR to enhance the realism of PC games.

I wrapped up my PC gaming tests with Forza Horizon 4 (2018), which, although it's a few years old, is a beautiful driving game. This game shows off the HDR "pop" of the Neo G9 in spades. The resulting image looks shockingly photo-realistic with graphics settings set to high, and the feeling of "connectedness" to the road is beyond what I've gotten out of any 16:9 monitor or TV. This game made me glad I recently upgraded my gaming PC so that I can enjoy frame rates well above 60 Hz in high resolution. HDR highlights gave the game a hyper-realistic look and in particular made the vehicles almost look three-dimensional. Moreover, neon colors were retina-zappingly intense! Pure eye candy. Add to that the smoothness of (typically) >100 FPS graphics frame rates with instantaneous response, and I could not be more pleased with what I got out of my new gaming PC and this monitor working together; the experience could best be described as “sublime.”

Aside from gaming, I used the Neo G9 to write this review, and I wish to sincerely express how useful it is to view multiple pages of a document at once. The Neo G9 will easily display five pages of a word document side by side, at the same time, which is fantastic for editing because it eliminates the need for a lot of scrolling. The text is razor-sharp and easy to read; indeed, this monitor made writing and editing the review notably easier.

Ultra-wide views are not the only thing the Neo G9 has going for it. Instead, you can treat it like a "regular" dual-monitor setup and view two inputs side-by-side, so it's able to do double duty as a productivity device; if that helps justify buying it, I say go for it. In side-by-side mode with dual inputs, it behaves just like using dual monitors. It is entirely up to you how you work and play with this monitor. With three inputs (two HDMI, one DisplayPort), you don't have to limit yourself to a PC; you can add a game console, cable TV, or a streaming device to the mix.

Pros & Cons

Pros

Ultra immersive 32:9 aspect ratio
Brilliant color and amazing contrast
Excellent anti-reflective qualities
Essentially non-existent input lag
FreeSync Premium Pro and G-SYNC support
Highly adjustable stand
Easy assembly
Dual HDMI inputs
Great for gaming and productivity applications
Accurate colors, factory calibrated
No burn-in worries

Cons

Large (takes up a whole desk)
Pricey (costs as much as a premium TV)

The "Scorching" Choice for Gamers

Easy assembly, accurate and vivid image quality, flexible placement and configuration, extreme gaming immersion, and suitability for production-oriented PC tasks combine to make this the "complete package" for PC power users and gamers seeking the most immersive viewing experience this side of VR.

The Neo QLED technology in the Odyssey Neo G9 utterly and unquestionably sets a new standard for what you can expect out of an ultra-wide gaming monitor. In particular, the FALD (full array local dimming) backlight using Neo-LED tech makes a huge difference in contrast and completely avoids any halos or clouding artifacts, the picture—when viewed from the sweet spot—is pristine. Samsung's Odyssey Neo G9 is the company's latest, greatest 32:9 aspect ratio monitor to date, and I have not seen better terms of picture quality.

Meanwhile, it retains what made its predecessor so great in terms of build quality and ergonomics. It is a genuine home run in this (admittedly niche) PC monitor category. The Neo-LED FALD backlight plus QLED makes a massive difference over the "regular" Odyssey G9, which is also a great display. The Neo G9 is unquestionably a deserving Overclock.net "Scorching" award winner for 2021.