Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was asked a couple of times already but does RAPID really improve the performance of a system? Is it any better than the native RAM caching of Windows? Is it just like the RAMDisks software available in the market or what? It uses 2GB out of my 8GB available RAM so that's a significant amount. I'm not sure if the software was improved upon over time that someone can consider the performance better nowadays. What do you guys think?

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
It won't make a difference in day to day activities for the most part. It's just good to show off in benchmarks with it.

·
WaterCooler & Overclocker
2,591 Posts
I would enable it. For awhile when windows 10 was first out the Rapid mode did not work with windows 10. Then after a software update it does work again, after enabling Rapid mode again, my system seemed a little more zippy
biggrin.gif

If you run the bench mark in the Samsung Magician software, with and without the Rapid mode, it's a HUGE difference.

I don't know of any reason not to use it.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

I would enable it. For awhile when windows 10 was first out the Rapid mode did not work with windows 10. Then after a software update it does work again, after enabling Rapid mode again, my system seemed a little more zippy
biggrin.gif

If you run the bench mark in the Samsung Magician software, with and without the Rapid mode, it's a HUGE difference.

AS-SSD shows a huge gain with RAPID enabled as well. I'm sure using the software with a benchmark for the purposes of records is frowned upon given the huge difference it makes.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post

AS-SSD shows a huge gain with RAPID enabled as well.
Of course it is. You are not benching your SSD any more when RAPID is ON. You are just benching the RAM.

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I don't really care about rapid benchmarks because they don't tell you actual performance gains.

Any other avenue wherein rapid is beneficial aside from benchmarks?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Yeah I don't really care about rapid benchmarks because they don't tell you actual performance gains.

If you turn on CRAPID mode, you are not benchmarking your SSD anymore, you are benchmarking your RAM.

Translate that intro real world performance and it means absolutely nothing.

For example, test this.....

Copy a huge 10GB + video file or whatever large file you want from your C: partition to another partition on another disk......

you will notice that the Windows file copy progress finishes insanely fast.....the moment it finishes the copy, I want you to restart your system

then check that file you copied, it would be corrupt, reason is, yes the file copy progress finished fast, but it didn't finish really, all it was doing is copying the file from your SSD to the RAM Cache and not the actual 2nd SSD or HDD you were intending to copy to, then after it goes to your RAM Cache using CRAPID, it is supposed to copy from the RAM Cache onto the actual disk in the background which didn't happen in this test I did since I restart immediately after the fake file transfer progress was finished.

so it's just cheating + placebo effect

And after you read this, you will never enable RAPID again.....it will actually make your performance worse not better

A Closer look at the crappy CRAPID

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks. I just read the link below and there was another link on the bottom of that page showing the 850 Pro review. In the 840 Evo review, clearly the author dislikes RAPID but I'm not sure what to make of his 850 Pro review with regards to RAPID considering the fact that Samsung Magician is more mature now. Any thoughts on this?

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post

Quote:

If you turn on CRAPID mode, you are not benchmarking your SSD anymore, you are benchmarking your RAM.

Translate that intro real world performance and it means absolutely nothing.

For example, test this.....

Copy a huge 10GB + video file or whatever large file you want from your C: partition to another partition on another disk......

you will notice that the Windows file copy progress finishes insanely fast.....the moment it finishes the copy, I want you to restart your system

then check that file you copied, it would be corrupt, reason is, yes the file copy progress finished fast, but it didn't finish really, all it was doing is copying the file from your SSD to the RAM Cache and not the actual 2nd SSD or HDD you were intending to copy to, then after it goes to your RAM Cache using CRAPID, it is supposed to copy from the RAM Cache onto the actual disk in the background which didn't happen in this test I did since I restart immediately after the fake file transfer progress was finished.

so it's just cheating + placebo effect

And after you read this, you will never enable RAPID again.....it will actually make your performance worse not better

A Closer look at the crappy CRAPID
In the interest of fairness, the very first page of that report goes into the benefits, even if not noticeable (and since when is whether a performance benefit is noticeable a prerequisite for doing something on this site?!). So while you do not like RAPID, you should give the entire story - the good with the bad. Furthermore, that article is nearly 2 years old.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:

In the interest of fairness, the very first page of that report goes into the benefits, even if not noticeable (and since when is whether a performance benefit is noticeable a prerequisite for doing something on this site?!). So while you do not like RAPID, you should give the entire story - the good with the bad. Furthermore, that article is nearly 2 years old.
well the only positive thing about it is lying to benchmarking apps giving inflated high scores.

I didn't notice any real world benefits, only drawbacks such as if you reboot your system while there ate still file copy operations pending in the background being copied from the RAM cache back to the SSD itself.

just my 2 cents worth. Use it if you think you are benefiting from it.

Doesn't matter if the article is 2 years old, the concept is the same.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
For starters, what you just said is a lot more even-handed than what you said originally. We need more of that in these parts. (It does effectively lie on benchmarks, for example.) Second, it does matter how old the article is because you are assuming no changes have been made to improve the software. I don't know that anything has changed, but I also will not state unequivocally that something hasn't changed in two years. I also don't think it really helps for gaming unless it decides to preload the game for you.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

For starters, what you just said is a lot more even-handed than what you said originally. We need more of that in these parts. (It does effectively lie on benchmarks, for example.) Second, it does matter how old the article is because you are assuming no changes have been made to improve the software. I don't know that anything has changed, but I also will not state unequivocally that something hasn't changed in two years. I also don't think it really helps for gaming unless it decides to preload the game for you.
Improving RAPID is like improving the wheel. What can you possibly add to it?

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Quote:

Who said "add"? Why can't you improve its predictive nature? You're continuing to make blanket statements when I suggested doing so was anti-helpful...

And for the record, at work, I do large analyses that are significantly hindered by even SSD write speed. So, being able to write the several GB to RAM will speed up the analysis process significantly and allow me to do other things while the writing is finished and I have more CPU power available for other things. RAPID does have uses, but you wouldn't know that from reading any of your responses.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Who said "add"? Why can't you improve its predictive nature? You're continuing to make blanket statements when I suggested doing so was anti-helpful...

And for the record, at work, I do large analyses that are significantly hindered by even SSD write speed. So, being able to write the several GB to RAM will speed up the analysis process significantly and allow me to do other things while the writing is finished and I have more CPU power available for other things. RAPID does have uses, but you wouldn't know that from reading any of your responses.
I wouldn't expect the OP to be partaking in system analysis at home, so my comments are geared towards general use and gaming. I stated "day to day general use" in my first post.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't expect the OP to be partaking in system analysis at home, so my comments are geared towards general use and gaming. I stated "day to day general use" in my first post.
He didn't qualify it as a system for home use. Only you have done so. He explicitly asked later if there are other uses besides improving benchmark scores.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

He didn't qualify it as a system for home use. Only you have done so. He explicitly asked later if there are other uses besides improving benchmark scores.
Yes, I know. That's what I've just said.

If the OP does not find my posts of use, He/She may skip past them and continue reading.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:

very well said

·
Registered
203 Posts
What ticks me off the most, is in SSD Benchmarking threads, people would be posting real legit results, then the RAPID clowns jump in and post their RAPID stores thinking they won it all! Heh

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the responses. From all these, I would think that, yes, RAPID has its uses but is not geared towards general use and gaming (which are the categories I use my system for). So we're good
wink.gif

I mean I was using a RAMDisk before but only for the sole purpose of caching my FireFox cache profile. So it is safe to experience corruption in that.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
@stargate125645
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for all the responses. From all these, I would think that, yes, RAPID has its uses but is not geared towards general use and gaming (which are the categories I use my system for). So we're good
wink.gif

I mean I was using a RAMDisk before but only for the sole purpose of caching my FireFox cache profile. So it is safe to experience corruption in that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts