Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to buy 2x80gb satas for a raid0 and im not sure yet wich one... Hitachi or Samsung? Performance is importante but so is the noise! (do the ftools also work with samsung?)

btw, how do i install windows on raid0?

thx

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The Mobo you have doesn't support SATA-II, so you need to look at SATA HDD's, and there really is no reason to switch to SATA-II because there's not a HUGE increase for the amount of money you pay. It's good for a single drive but if you're going RAID-0 you can easily just get another 80GB IDE drive and put it into RAID-0 (if you have a IDE RAID controller) but if you dont get 2 SATA drives not SATA-II

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why would i spend money on SATAI? SataII is @ same price and its better for future expansion, sure it wont work on sataII speeds in my mobo but it will work on SataI speed. (so why on earth should i go with sataI?) and no.. im not interested in another IDE

After searching for this im probably going for a single 200gb Harddrive (still not sure if im going for hitachi or samsung sataII)

Btw, 200gb, 160gb, 80gb... all have the same performance? ia a 200gb slower than a 80gb?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Parting the larger (single) drive will improve performance and locate the OS and progs on the outer faster part of the platers... that can not be done with RAID0 BTW.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still... 200gb, 160gb, 80gb... all have the same performance? or is a 200gb slower than a 80gb?

and does anyone know reviews of samsung vs hitachi

those are my questions, plz dont tell me to buy another ide or something like that...

thx

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you are going to buy 2 and use them in sataI mode, why not try and get a raptor? It will have quicker seek times and whatnot. But if you go sata2, i cant complain about my samsung, its quiet and quick.

There shouldnt be a difference in speed as they get bigger, 80gb to 160gb, so get whatever fits your budget. Sata2's only advantage is burst speed really, some raptors in raid would destroy any sata2 in raid because of the rpm.

I vote get a raptor now and save up for another later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the hitachi deckstar and samsung spinpoint all get great reviews in my magazines but i like hitachi more and am going to get two 160gb models myself

for just over 100 quid two 160gb hitachi's in RAID seems nice

i might add a 250gb model as well for mp3's and movies.

but both of those drives are nice

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
My vote's with hitachi. I've got a Deskstar that's about a year-and-a-half old and functions like it did on day one. It's whisper quiet, and I absolutely love it. For capacity, 200GB would last you a while, and possibly allow your computer to do things like dual-boot with linux or record TV (or both). Plus, my 80GB filled up fast, and I have installed very little recently to try to keep it rather empty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nah im not going for a raptor since they are expensive and loud

ill probably get a 160 or a 200gb samsung (since ive been hearing that they are quiter)

thx 4 the help ppl =)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
one last question... ftools also work on samsung or only hitachi?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm still telling you that SATA-II might not be compatible with that chipset. Some chipsets can support SATA-II on SATA controllers but that's not always the case, you should look into it...I'm just letting you know before you have to buy a new Mobo or a new HDD

This isn't your chipset but it might fall under it for incompatibility
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24910

Speed wont matter much if your board doesnt recognize the HDD

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damm... i could use it.. the asus support sux... i asked them if it was compatible the guy tells me to go and see a faq or something http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...Language=es-es (why did he tell me to see it in spanish? ... nor hes he usefull nor his he smart...)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
hi there...i am sorry to be bursting the bubble...

but heres an excerpt from the inquirer

"It said that VT8237 and VT8237R chipsets don't provide forward compatibility for S-ATA II, which is important as hard drive makers are beginning to manufacture this type of drive."

and here is the technical specification for ur mobo from official asus website

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...=3&l2=12&l3=45

u can make ur deduction from the two; and btw, i am almost 100% sure worst comes to worse if u do need the drives and u think that investing in SATAII is worth it then u can get a controller card for maybe 20 or 30USD which will allow u to utilize SATAII on ur mobo....

also the next time u get a page in foreign language look for the language selection option...i went to the above from ur link

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
From all the reviews I've seen of the 250GB Hitachi vs Samsung, the Hitachi is faster and uses less power at idle. The only advantage is the Samsung is quieter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrixMII300

hi there...i am sorry to be bursting the bubble...

but heres an excerpt from the inquirer

"It said that VT8237 and VT8237R chipsets don't provide forward compatibility for S-ATA II, which is important as hard drive makers are beginning to manufacture this type of drive."

and here is the technical specification for ur mobo from official asus website

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...=3&l2=12&l3=45

u can make ur deduction from the two; and btw, i am almost 100% sure worst comes to worse if u do need the drives and u think that investing in SATAII is worth it then u can get a controller card for maybe 20 or 30USD which will allow u to utilize SATAII on ur mobo....

also the next time u get a page in foreign language look for the language selection option...i went to the above from ur link

sorry i didnt quite understand... sataII wont work in my mobo? wasnt it suposed to work, with sataI speeds?

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dA_PhReAk

sorry i didnt quite understand... sataII wont work in my mobo? wasnt it suposed to work, with sataI speeds?

The newer technology will only work at the older speed IF the other hardware (ie, the mobo) can even recognize the newer stuff.

In this case, appears that your board does not support the new stuff even at slower speeds.

Also, I have never had any issues with ASUS support, they have always been fast, friendly, and knowledgable.....perhaps he refered you to the spanish FAQ because you are from Portugal? Not sure.

Also, didn't see it answered here......a 200GB drive at 7200 RPMs has pretty much the same performance as an 80GB at 7200RPM. The pyshical size of the drive has little impact on speed.

I would recomend you get a 200GB SATA drive, partion 60-80GB for the OS, and use the remaining for your programs and files. This way you get good OS performance, and if you have OS failure, you don't lose your programs or files..............and of course, you only have to buy 1 HD.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Humm and how do u know it doesnt work? "VT8237 and VT8237R" dont work isnt my chipset "SIS 655FX"??

PS: in portugal we speak ... PORTUGUESE... thats why i called the man dumb
he gave me a spanish faq... and there is a portuguese site !! --> www.asus.pt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts