Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello OCN, I have recently purchased the Samsung Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C-T01US. I found it very easy to access the 2 RAM slots on the bottom by removing a cover, but I found the 2 slots to be empty. I have no idea where the other 2 slots are and was wondering if anyone here could help me locate them. This is actually the first laptop I have ever owned, so pardon my lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance!

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
Under the keyboard. Bit trickier to reach those, but not a problem to be honest.

Though, you shoulda PMed someone here before you made your purchase. Coulda helped you out a LOT more with getting more for your money.

• Rep+
Reactions: eperelez

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Keep in mind populating those ram slot will reduce the battery life of your laptop as it would consume more power

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Under the keyboard. Bit trickier to reach those, but not a problem to be honest.

Though, you shoulda PMed someone here before you made your purchase. Coulda helped you out a LOT more with getting more for your money.
Thanks for the quick reply. I see 1 screw labeled KBD on the bottom. Is that the only screw I need to remove to get under the keyboard?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclimja View Post

Keep in mind populating those ram slot will reduce the battery life of your laptop as it would consume more power

Thanks for the info. I plan to use this as a desktop replacement, so it will be plugged in without the battery whenever it's in use.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclimja View Post

You have any idea how little power that RAM uses?
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Quote:

You have any idea how little power that RAM uses?
rolleyes.gif
Unless if you're using one of those ultra-low voltage CPU mini-ultrabooks that obviously have smaller batteries, two additional RAM sticks are going to have relatively little impact. At worst 5-20 minutes removed from battery life.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bad Day View Post

Unless if you're using one of those ultra-low voltage CPU mini-ultrabooks that obviously have smaller batteries, two additional RAM sticks are going to have relatively little impact. At worst 5-20 minutes removed from battery life.
I highly doubt adding two ram sticks will deplete 20 minutes from your battery life. Sources?
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Quote:

I highly doubt adding two ram sticks will deplete 20 minutes from your battery life. Sources?
rolleyes.gif
I said at worst.

I recall experimenting on an old 2005 laptop that would shut off within a few minutes of light load (such as installing Windows Update or running an AV scan) when unplugged. The battery lasted about 15 seconds longer during idling when I removed one of the RAM sticks.

Not that I would want to keep that laptop anyways...

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bad Day View Post

I said at worst.

I recall experimenting on an old 2005 laptop that would shut off within a few minutes of light load (such as installing Windows Update or running an AV scan) when unplugged. The battery lasted about 15 seconds longer during idling when I removed one of the RAM sticks.

Not that I would want to keep that laptop anyways...
So based on your assumptions about this, I can expect to lose around 12-15% of my battery life just from keeping my RAM slots filled?

Again, give me a site that did this testing and I'll believe you. Hearsay isn't going to get you on OCN. >_> That's a fact.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Quote:

So based on your assumptions about this, I can expect to lose around 12-15% of my battery life just from keeping my RAM slots filled?

Again, give me a site that did this testing and I'll believe you. Hearsay isn't going to get you on OCN. >_> That's a fact.
If your laptop's battery is so deteriorated that it used to last for more than three or four hours and now last for only a few minutes, yeah, that extra RAM stick may have an effect. But who wants a laptop that can never stay unplugged?

But for most new laptop batteries, one extra stick of RAM isn't going to have any noticeable effect. Bumping up the display brightness will though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did some digging around and found that the RAM slots are not under the keyboard, as I hoped they would be. Here are a couple of links, one of which is a teardown, that have more info:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/677230-series-7-gamer-np700g7c-ram-upgrade.html
and
http://www.3dnews.ru/mobile/622780/

The 2nd link, if you scroll down, has pics of the insides that pretty much confirms that I would have to disassemble the unit to reach those RAM slots. Either that, or I am looking at it totally wrong?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts