Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjk61011 View Post

I have the 961 in an adapter in the PCIe slot. Windows after the UEFI screen boots up in 3 seconds.
Windows 10 Build 14379. The SM961. A Plextor M.2 PCIe in the M.2 slot and two HDDs 1 TB.
Clean install.
When I had the two HDDs in a Storage Space Pool, boot time was about 30 seconds

·
Registered
13 Posts
Impressive reboot time (3 seconds). I think reboot time is a good indicator of overall system health and is not talked about enough. My Z97 system is around 7-8 seconds after post screen but that's loaded down with one year of software installs which includes some critical (to me) auto start apps. A clean install restart is about 4 seconds. I've seen some cases where a restart is almost instantaneous, <1 second. I don't understand the Windows -> UEFI connection well enough to know what's causing "quick" restart vs full re-post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents on the SSD: This is the FASTEST SSD, and I LOVE IT (So far)
biggrin.gif

* UPDATE: 11/27/16 *

Here is an update in regards to me utilizing another SM961 1TB (Manufactured October of 2016), and it runs FANTASTIC!
Here is an image of AS SSD result, along with details of my software and hardware configuration. Apologies for being lengthy, but I like to be thorough
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is it because M2 drives are directly connected to the PCIE bus that their performance can fluctuate quite a bit ? I googled quite a bit with "NVME slow boot", "NVME slow write performance" etc etc.

My setup is:
Asus X99 DELUXE
I7 5930k
32 GB RAM (can't remember specs)
1* 1TB 961 NVME connected to motherboard directly and all x4 bandwidth should be available
1* 1TB 940 EVO. The drive I'm updating
4* 2TB old fashion disks as Storage Spaces

Most of the built-in devices from the motherboard are currently turned on (audio, network) some are off (wifi, bluetooth).

First thing about boot time.

My setup takes longer to boot now than it used to with the slower 940 EVO and it seems to be due to the time spent with the spinning logo during boot. I think my boot time is about twice as slow as before.
I installed Windows 10 latest on a MBR setup disks and I can only guess with CSM turned on.
I have a few days after turned that off, secure boot is turned on and the boot disk is setup as GPT. But it takes a quite a while to load up.
My Intel Haswell NUC, a slower PC and my laptop all boot faster than my desktop!

Secondly, 4K performance with CrystalDiskMark on my machine is about 40% slower than what others are getting here.

With the help from this forum I was pointed to the Samsung NVME driver which I have installed and certainly helped things up but not all of them.

NOTE:
I am not overclocking my CPU and most of of my BIOS settings are set as AUTO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I had two Hdd in Storage Spaces boot time was about 30 seconds. I deleted the stores space and used independent disks. Boot time about three seconds

·
Registered
31 Posts
Asus does a very bad job when in comes to integrating NVMe boot into their UEFI.
You read a lot about slow NVMe boot on ASUS Boards.
My MSI Z170 has no problems at all and my MSI X99 was doing fine,too, both boot to the desktop before my display is ready (~8sec).

did anyone get a 128GB or 256GB model?
According to the part number MZVPW both should come with planar MLC NAND, only 512GB and 1TB have VNAND MZVKW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi
I have recently re-assembled my PC and I strangely now get less speed, topping at 1.8 GB/SEC on READ with ATTO which sounds like the M2 port is not running at full speed.
Is there any way apart through benchmarking to know the number of PCIE lanes a M2 drive is connected to ?
For info, the only devices I have connected to the motherboard are a GTX 1080 (PCIE X16_3) and (now after rebuild) a soundcard against (PCIE X4_1). The soundcard PCIE port isn't support to eat on the M.2 port though.
Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjk61011 View Post

When I had two Hdd in Storage Spaces boot time was about 30 seconds. I deleted the stores space and used independent disks. Boot time about three seconds
Stupid question but what do you mean you deleted the store spaces and used independent disks? Did you take out your store disks from your computer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So you recreated a new storage pool with new disks and boot is much faster?
Strange. I notice that during boot there doesn't seem to any hdd activity for 10 seconds then resume wtb boot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone has the 950 Pro/SM951 or SM941 and can comment on the heat generated by the SM961s? The 950 Pro/SM951 gets extremely hoooooot. In 90 degrees heat, these become dangerously hot.

I wonder how much better the SM961 are with its thermals?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by opacity00 View Post

Anyone has the 950 Pro/SM951 or SM941 and can comment on the heat generated by the SM961s? The 950 Pro/SM951 gets extremely hoooooot. In 90 degrees heat, these become dangerously hot.

I wonder how much better the SM961 are with its thermals?
I have one Sm951nvme 512GB and 2x sm961nvme 1TB. I have no issues with heat. I just have airflow in the case
thumb.gif
If you have heatproblems, just add a fan that is blowing towards the m.2 ssd
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
same temp for 951 and 961 ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post

I have one Sm951nvme 512GB and 2x sm961nvme 1TB. I have no issues with heat. I just have airflow in the case
thumb.gif
If you have heat problems, just add a fan that is blowing towards the m.2 ssd
smile.gif
@Nizzen, true, but wondering if Samsung's latest generates less heat in general. We have them in an Intel NUC which doesn't allow for good air flow due to the small compact size.

41 - 60 of 550 Posts