Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old Samsung SyncMaster P2770 monitor that (until recently) has served me well. About three months ago, a problem developed, the monitor will work fine for about 5 - 10 minutes (sometimes even longer), but then shuts down. By "shuts down" I mean the screen goes black, and the red LED power lights turn off. This seems to be a progressive condition, as it happened only once or twice at first, but now I've had to move to another (smaller) monitor due to the frequency of the shutdowns. Basically, at its worst, the monitor would only work for about 5 minutes and then shut itself down. I only run a 1 monitor setup, but have tried both the DVI and the HDMI outs on my AMD 6950 and get the same results using either port. My smaller Dell monitor works fine, so I don't think it is either the cables or the GPU (but I am open to thoughts on this).

One odd issue I've noticed:

The monitor seems to turn back on if I unplug the power brick to the Samsung for a few minutes. The screen is fine, the menus buttons work properly, power button works correctly, all inputs (HDMI and DVI) work properly. But after a few minutes of use, the monitor shuts down again. The brick itself does not feel particularly hot, but I have tried moving it to different areas with better air flow, but this seems to make no difference whatsoever.

Any thoughts on what might be going on? Any idea what my expected out of pocket costs might be if I need to get something fixed? Also, would a local electronics tech be able to do this, or would you recommend shipping it off for a factory repair? Any possible work-arounds that might keep me from having to send it off?

I'm at a loss at what the true issue is (I'm not an electrical engineer type person, so even basic electrical component concepts are foreign to me), but I really do like this monitor and would like to get it working to where I can continue using it. The actual picture quality (when it works) is actually quite nice.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts