Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked myself up a Samsung XL2370 LED monitor, I expected amazing colors from this monitor with high clarity etc. I hooked it up through HDMI to my pc running 5870. The colors look pale and white, it seems that my 5 year old 19" LG lcd has better colors and sharpness, any body else owns this monitor that can assist me with the setting to have that amazing color reproduction that everyone is hyping about?

PS: My macbook pro 17" has far better color quality then this monitor.

REP will be awarded for valuable responses. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HA3AP View Post
Just picked myself up a Samsung XL2370 LED monitor, I expected amazing colors from this monitor with high clarity etc. I hooked it up through HDMI to my pc running 5870. The colors look pale and white, it seems that my 5 year old 19" LG lcd has better colors and sharpness, any body else owns this monitor that can assist me with the setting to have that amazing color reproduction that everyone is hyping about?

PS: My macbook pro 17" has far better color quality then this monitor.

Sorry I don't have that exact monitor, I have a Dell 24" LED. I had to modify the power saver functions as well as warm the color a bit to get it to look the way I wanted. Again the menu will be completely different, but look for a warm setting in the menu to see if it helps. Worked wonders on my Dell.

• Rep+
Reactions: HA3AP

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, +rep. Does it matter if I use HDMI or DVI? Cause originaly it was set to AV mode, so I had to switch to PC mode, also auto settings are disabled because of the HDMI, I will try later on tonight, after Im done studying for my exam, to switch to DVI, and run auto settings, based on the reviews that I read, this monitor should have amazing colors and crisp image reproduction.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
try using DVI. For any displays, calibration of the settings is like the other 30% percent in showcasing the amazing colors and crisp image reproduction of the display. Auto is ok, but you are off better fine tuning it.

I heard that using DVI is better, but I will have to double check on that.

• Rep+

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
dvi and hdmi is the same except for hdmi carries sound, color wise no different

• Rep+

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by navit
View Post

This.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Go the the menu on the monitor and try to find the color settings. Even contrast and brightness may be valuable. You can also mess with these values in the ATI control panel thingy (I don't know what name they give it. Catalyst?).

As Raiden said, try DVI, it can't hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navit
View Post

Perhaps it's a problem with his video card's output or the monitor's input. But, yes, DVI and HDMI are essentially the same.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Calibrated it will be better.

For starters forget the default options and drop the bright/backlight down. It should be between 20-50% depending on the lighting of the room.

Lower it until you see a sharp difference between each tone on this scale. It should be low enough to see the difference between the whites, and high enough to see it between the blacks.

Note that you need to be looking at the scale as you would normally look at it. Don't tilt your monitor or head to see the differences.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HA3AP
View Post

You need to calibrate the monitor, as with every new monitor. Make sure you turn off any scaling/re-sizing on the monitor itself and have the computer push the monitor's native resolution before you begin. It will usually be easier to adjust any color settings through the drivers than on the monitor itself, but either way will work fine.

This website has a nice set of online tests for you to DIY: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
It's very good and should be adequate. No monitor is perfect and you might find you're making trade-offs between the different settings in order to get the optimal picture for your situation.

This link might also be helpful:

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I would recommend that you try using MagicTune.Its a nifty little application which takes the On Screen Display (OSD) controls a few steps further. This application offers all that the On Screen Display controls have offer, and then some allowing the user to quickly and conveniently tweak all imaginable settings, and not to mention without needing to fidget with monitor buttons

You are able to download it from the samsung website.Check it out.Here is the link:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/o...?pagetype=type

Let us know how it goes because I am also interested in buying this monitor

• Rep+

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rep's were awarded accordingly, thanks for all the info, I will write a full review by the weekend of this monitor. So stay tuned...

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
By the way, like you said, make sure you set the settings to picture. I remember when I first tried to hook up my pc to my tv through hdmi, the setting was on video, it was blurry, but once I set it to picture, it was sharp and clear as hell.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nobody here knows what they are talking about, i guess i will reap all the rep.

I have the same monitor, it automatically thinks you are using it as a TV when you connect through HDMI. This has NOTHING to do with calibration or anything. Goto your menu and there is an option to switch it to PC, then make sure overscaling is at 100% in your control center.

I had the same problem, that fixed it ;]

EDIT: You will be switching it from AC to PC. A digital DVI connection automatically has all this set for you.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmkevinz View Post
I wouldn't talk like that, really not a good idea.
Unless you're being sarcastic that is.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm not bashing anyone, you can calibrate it all you want.

And, the monitor does have amazing colors, samsung just ****ed up the hdmi connection default options on the monitor. If you think i'm making fun of anyone for not knowing this then that would be stupid.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote:

I'm not bashing anyone, you can calibrate it all you want.
Just the way you said it made it sound a little rude. But if you didn't mean anything wrong by it then its all good. But yea, for my tv, picture mode is the equivalent for pc mode on yours so that might have been confusing.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes, it's all in the settings. When I first turned on my LG 23" it looked like $hit, all washed out. I was coming off a Sony Xbrite so it looked extra bad. But I just went into (nVidia Control Panel) clicked, Use nVidia (to control video settings) and lowered the brightness way down, added more color Contrast and Digital Vibrance. Now it looks killer, even better then my Xbrite.
LL

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

I have the same monitor, it automatically thinks you are using it as a TV when you connect through HDMI. This has NOTHING to do with calibration or anything. Goto your menu and there is an option to switch it to PC, then make sure overscaling is at 100% in your control center.

I had the same problem, that fixed it ;]

EDIT: You will be switching it from AC to PC. A digital DVI connection automatically has all this set for you.
Nice try, but so far you are the only one who missed my second post, where I stated that I switched from AV to PC, there was a difference, but still is a far cry from my expectations.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts