Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
I know i'm new here with 1 post, but I started reading topics here today and found there were some helpful people around, so figured I'd post my issue here.

I just received my 2600K, mobo, 8gb Corsair Vengeance Ram, and a noctua cooler for the proc.

I've updated my BIOS to the very latest version and i've followed all the steps as I've understood it.

I've set the OC to manual, selected to allow the bios to control each core overclock, and punched in 48 for each core. I then set my voltage to 1.550 so i could boot to the desktop.

The issue? In the BIOS it clearly shows i'm running at 4800 speeds, but when I boot into windows, i'm running at 1.6 ghz with 16x multiplier

http://screensnapr.com/v/TtJ9ay.png

Someone, anyone... please offer me a little advice and help for getting a decent overclock. Need to justify jumping from my i7 930 lol.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's typically a power save feature that will scale back the chip. Go back into the bios and check the settings for the cpu.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are running the 1053 BIOS ?

That would be IEST in action, when you are not stressing the cpu it uses only 16 x multi to save energy. load up something to stress the cpu, and watch in cpu-z as it switches from 16x to 48x.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, thats the mobo version.

Thanks for the advice, looks like that was it.

My only issue is now that it only went up to 4.4 GHZ under prime 95 with a 43 multiplier. So, am I missing something else here?

I'll go back and look at the settings to make sure i'm doing everything correct. Again, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
1.55v IMO is to high for a 24/7 overclock.

"only went up to 4.4 GHZ under prime 95 with a 43 multiplier"
confused.gif

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
lol why would you set your voltage to 1.55v

do some research before you kill your chip..
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven;11985304
lol why would you set your voltage to 1.55v

do some research before you kill your chip..
rolleyes.gif
That was a typo. I've done my research. That should have read "1.440"

Anyhow, I can't even seem to get a stable overclock at 4.6 on. I've set my chip for 4.5 @ 1.400 vcore. Anything above and beyond 4.6 (even slowly bumping vcore (up to 1.450) causes a blue screen a few seconds after being on the desktop.

While i'm okay with 4.5, the whole reason I picked up the 2600K was because of how easy it could be OC'd to 4.8 on air cooling - "as easy as making toast" I've read in multiple places...

so, why is it i'm having trouble getting past a weak 4.5 that the 2500k could easily achieve?

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
on ASUS boards you need to try and keep EIST and C1E enabled. see if you put load ont he Cpu if the multiplers raise to what you set?

you are having trouble because not every chip is made equal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you point me int he direction of those two settings so i can check them out? I've looked and can't find them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so here's what i've got specifically:

C1E - Enabled
EIST - Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage set to 1.8125
VCore set to 1.440
load line calibration - auto
phase control - extreme
turbo mode manual, OC set to 4.5 on each core.

Now, this seems to run stable. I've run prime 95, intel burn test, watched my temps and did a little gaming to which everything seems to run perfectly stable.

However, if I try to increase the OC on each core by one (4.6), even with several small bumps to the vcore I can make it to the desktop, but it freezes up.

Now, the ram is running at 1333, should I increase it to it's native 1600 speed and see how it does?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ne;11986368
Okay, so here's what i've got specifically:

C1E - Enabled
EIST - Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage set to 1.8125
VCore set to 1.440
load line calibration - auto
phase control - extreme
turbo mode manual, OC set to 4.5 on each core.

Now, this seems to run stable. I've run prime 95, intel burn test, watched my temps and did a little gaming to which everything seems to run perfectly stable.

However, if I try to increase the OC on each core by one (4.6), even with several small bumps to the vcore I can make it to the desktop, but it freezes up.

Now, the ram is running at 1333, should I increase it to it's native 1600 speed and see how it does?
Increasing one clock speed really doesn't stabilize another
tongue.gif
You probably need more voltage.

·
Overclocker
4,156 Posts
What are you temps full load and what cooler are you using?

Oh, BTW, not all CPUs are the same when it comes to OC'ing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1st of all, i'd like to thank everyone for their help. I've read the posts, articles, and followed some links in others sigs to get a better idea on how sandy bridge operates and the settings tweaked to achieve particular numbers.

Now, after reading and following advice i'm at what appears to be a stable 4.8 GHZ @ 1.480. After I see how the stability holds up i'll start bumping backwards until it's no longer stable.

Here are my temps under load: http://screensnapr.com/v/2IKYft.png

My cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/35-608-018-TS?$S300W$

·
Registered
237 Posts
slightly off topic. i got everything hooked up and updated to the latest bios 1053. but now it doesent show any option in the advanced menu. *** did i do wrong i updated via a usb drive

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin0822
View Post

why don't you enable Load Line Calibration?

Hey Sin -
After reading some of your stuff, I did just that, and i easily hit 5ghz - just wasn't very stable... might go for hours then blue screen... and the thermals were a little high.

I backed it down to 4.8 ghz @ 1.465 vcore, ran some benchmarks, prime, intelburn, and played some games and everything seems to be running great now. Also running cooler. 32c at idle, and 77c under full, extended load (this is just where it tops out at on one of the cores, the others are around 70c under load.

I'm happy with that I suppose

1 - 17 of 17 Posts