Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148366

I just purchased a Sandy Bridge 2600 and an ASUS P8H67-M LX board with two 4 GB modules of crucial rendition memory. The system is not being overclocked.

The board has serious problems booting with two of these 4 GB modules in it, but it boots fine with only one module (in either slot, doesn't matter which module). It has the latest BIOS and the CMOS was thoroughly reset.

1) Is this memory problem a consequence of the Sandy Bridge north-bridge on the actual CPU?

2) Is the Sandy Bridge platform known to have serious memory compatibility problems?

I'm about to buy two Kingston modules locally, but they will cost me an arm and a leg. I'm not happy about this. When you spend this kind of money you expect things to work. Really, really annoyed.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer11;13150530
What are the voltages and how much RAM can your motherboard take? 4GB? 6GB? 8GB? 12GB? 18GB? 24GB? 32GB?
Rendition is the low-cost memory put out by Crucial. It isn't suited to Sandy-Bridge. Because it's generic, the voltages and timings are not clearly documented. It is basically the RAM that did not make the cut to be normal Crucial memory. The motherboard can take 16 GB of memory.

It was, in fact, an incompatibility issue with the Crucial Rendition memory. I purchased a pair of standard Crucial brand memory and the computer now boots flawlessly with no performance issues.

It seems the memory controller on the i7 2600 is very sensitive to voltage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts