Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I just came upon this when reading overclockers.co.uk!

As a future SB user (waiting for my stuff), I felt the need to share this with everyone.

Quote:

Sandybridge maximum safe voltages

Core Voltage - Not recommended too exceed 1.38v, doing so could kill the CPU, we therefor recommend a range of 1.325-1.350v if overclocking.

Memory Voltage - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means upto 1.58v is the safe recommended limit. In our testing we have found 1.65v has caused no issues.

BCLK Base Clock - This is strictly a NO, anyone using base clock overclocking could/will cause damage to CPU/Mainboard. (Set manually to 100).

PLL Voltage - Do not exceed 1.9v!!

Processor - Basically we recommend customers not to exceed 1.35v to play it safe, all our bundles are set at 1.3250v or lower, any competitors offering bundles above 4.6GHz you should be enquiring as to what voltage they are using as we believe anything over 1.38v will limit CPU lifespan and anything over 1.42v will likely kill the CPU or severely limit its lifespan.

Memory - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means 1.60v is the ideal safe maximum, but we have found in our testing all 1.65v memory is fine. We have also found most new 1.65v like Corsair XMS3 will run at its rated timings with just 1.50-1.55v which is well within Intel specifications. So people upgrading to Sandybridge you can still use your old DDR3, but we do recommend you run it at 1.60v or less. We are shipping most of our bundles which feature Corsair XMS at 1.50v-1.55v at rated timings. We've also discussed with Asus and MSI regarding voltages for memory and they also confirm in their testing 1.65v caused no issues with reliability.

Base Clock - To put it simple if you value the life of your components, do not overclock using base clock!

PLL Voltage - Again do not exceed 1.9v!

Source

Looks like EXTREME care is necessary with these CPUs, and BCLK Overclocking seems to be a no go.

Be careful, fellow SB users.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I take it you can't OC the CPU on H67 mobo's?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJVegeta;11963656
I take it you can't OC the CPU on H67 mobo's?
You can, if you want to OC the BCLK.
biggrin.gif
But that's your choice, the only thing that is officially supported for OC is the GPU multiplier. The BCLK is on your own so if you fry your board or CPU at 105 BCLK, oh well. But H67 is a no go for overclocking. If you want both support for overclocking CPU/GPU then wait for Z68.

You either pick H67 for HTPC or go P67 for mainstream gaming and overclocking and of course 980X like CPU performance for applications.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoob;11963739
You can, if you want to OC the BCLK.
biggrin.gif
But that's your choice, the only thing that is officially supported for OC is the GPU multiplier. The BCLK is on your own so if you fry your board or CPU at 105 BCLK, oh well. But H67 is a no go for overclocking. If you want both support for overclocking CPU/GPU then wait for Z68.

You either pick H67 for HTPC or go P67 for mainstream gaming and overclocking and of course 980X like CPU performance for applications.
z68 -> estimated arrival?

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
someone posted this over at XS, and got his ass ripped apart. he was the writer of the article too, they don't take it easy on you over there.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Well considering 1.3v @ 4.5GHz on a water loop with a quad rad is hitting 60C+ I'd assume people with air cooling are melting their chips.

Enjoy the air cooling guys!

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;11966298
Well considering 1.3v @ 4.5GHz on a water loop with a quad rad is hitting 60C+ I'd assume people with air cooling are melting their chips.

Enjoy the air cooling guys!
i told people they run hot at load, BUT i was able to do 1.5v 24/7 on air. Maybe some chips hotter than others. i personally think that amperage has a lot more to do with temps than voltage, as voltage is just a signal and should be proportional to amperage, but if you OC like that on low volts amperage is still up there.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
I think we're fine, of all the people who have gotten a SB chip I've seen three reports of them dying. One was at factory settings, never OC'ed, another was later found to be working, and the last was rma'ed.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
pretty sure we knew that blk oc was bad.....

can't wait to see what kind of cbb mine has, i want my 1.6 vcore

1 - 20 of 21 Posts