Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide whether or not I should go for Sandy Bridge or wait until Ive Bridge.

Right now I'm rocking a q6600 @3.2 and its still holding up pretty well.

Should i wait for Ivy or go for Sandy right now?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obto;11946514
I am trying to decide whether or not I should go for Sandy Bridge or wait until Ive Bridge.

Right now I'm rocking a q6600 @3.2 and its still holding up pretty well.

Should i wait for Ivy or go for Sandy right now?
It really depends on what you are using it for and why you would even want to upgrade.

If you are happy with the q6600 there is almost no reason to go to Ivy or even Sandy. But if you are feeling constrained then that is a big factor

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
seeing that the sandy is almost around my overclocked 930 at stock is a little disappointing. but dont really something this fast already.

would be a nice jump in performance but when do get to use 100% of it? and is it worth all the money u put in?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
If your in no hurry, wait. This gives you the chance to see how well both Ivy Bridge and even AMD's bulldozer turn out. Also, prices on SB will likely be the same or a little less. Sounds like a win win no matter which way you look at it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wait for ivy. I'm also in the same boat. I'm gonna wait for ivy before I even think about upgrading my cpu/mobo again. I figure 2 470 will be all I will need as far a a gfx card for atleast 5 more years. So all I'm gonna have to shell out for when I upgrade is cpu/mobo/ram maybe an ssd.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Im in the same boat and my old trusty q6600 cant keep up with my needs anymore, a new i7 sandybridge should do me for a few years to come atleast so theres no point in me waiting for ivy or bulldozer, once ivy is out everyone will be waiting for next new cpu and so on and so on,

If your q6600 does you well then there's really no need to upgrade, i want to start some serious folding so an upgrade is a must for me.

q6600 still sell on ebay for good money you could sell your current 775 bits and put that towards an i7 cpu/mobo
smile.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah right now my cpu is still doing pretty well, so I think I'll wait a bit. I don't think i can even build a new comp for 2 weeks, so ill at least wait that long.

Does anyone know when Ivy is thought to be out? I've heard some people saying this year.

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Waiting for Ivy Bridge will take a year.

I'm upgrading from my Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz right now.

It's a sub 600$ upgrade for more than 4x the performance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm waiting for Haswell or later. Perhaps I might upgrade to a Core 2 Quad in the interim...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
wow, from what I have seen so far intel is going to be pushing AMD very hard because you can make a system at cheap cost with great performance and why wait till Ivy or Bulldozer?When they come out there will be a other processor being built.
With the Bulldozer , I don't think you will be able to build a good system cheaper than intels 2nd gen.I know by the end of the month i will be building a sandy rig and i can't wait.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XX55XX
View Post

I'm waiting for Haswell or later. Perhaps I might upgrade to a Core 2 Quad in the interim...

I'm also waiting for Rockwell and Maxwell.

Can't wait

1 - 18 of 18 Posts