Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here Is the guide! Note: my 4830 is dead!!!!!! Gone,no more.

Attachment 106464 Attachment 106465

Attachment 106463

Yes, that is my homemade copper slabs that I hammered and flatten from clamps that hold up water pipes^_^. It has taken about 30C off my memory and made me OC my memory another 250MHZ!!! These blistering speeds are comparable to a hd 4870 with v-sync on and have seen only 10 fps difference between the two. For that reason I returned that 4870.

The card was tested with stock fan and not what you see in the pics.

The guide I'm about to show you, do this at your own risk!

How to Bios mod ANY CARD(ATI) but this guide is specifically on a 4830. For other cards, the voltages and speed will vary, if need further help, PM me!

First of We need 2 programs called ATI WinFlash and RBE tools. These tools can be downloaded from techspot. Winflash 2.0.1.2 Use this winflash or use the newest version. REMEMBER I repeat REMEMBER use the same winflash and same RBE tools as you do if you are going to reinstall or update, idk why but I downloaded a upgraded and MESSED up my card!! Changed the whole format and I had to PHYSIC LY alter the codes in the actual bios on how its ran. Bottom line remember the versions you have if you plan to remove them or your life will be hell!!

Next you need to back up your bios! Use Gpuz or download it from techpowerup.

Thirdly start up RBE tools. Look at the bottom of the page for Acquire/flsh. Click it and a window will pop up. You can manually tell it were Winflash is located or let it search for it on its own. Once winflash is located click at the bottom right of screen analyze. Then click acquire BIOS.

If done correctly, under the clock settings tab you should see it populated!!! Here comes the good stuff!! The clocks with the highest values set them to 1.158 volts(includes 02-09) Don't touch 00 and 01. 00 is set for startup and you don't need more power for that. 01 is for 2d(when your pc is at desktop) I have set mine at 100(core) and 150(mem at .892 volts and has shaved TONS of heat from it so I idle under 38c.

Clocks 03-09 should be set at highest and fullest. Your card with the volt mod can EASILY handle 700. Memory, that I don't know considering it changes radically from card to card.

Once you are done setting your values, save BIOS to your desktop.

Start up ATIWinflash. Click load image, locate your saved bios(hopefully saved on your desktop). Then click program.

WARNING!!!!!! What ever you do, DON'T EXIT PROGRAM, OR DO ANYTHING UNTIL IT TELLS YOU IT IS SUCCESSFUL, OR YOU WILL FUBAR YOUR GRAPHIC CARD!

If you do mess it up, you need a spare graphic card to be the boot and your bricked card as secondary. DO the process above but put ALL values to stock, flash it, make it as primary boot and your fine!

HARD MOD(Penciling your graphic card FOR 4830 Sapphire ONLY!!!!!!!)

http://www.overclock.net/attachments...pphirevolt.jpg

Use this picture to help you locate were to shade. Once you have found were it is located, you need a volt meter!

1. Shade that small volt regulator about 20 scrapes or so. Next put black tape(electrical tap over it TIGHTLY because it will give most accurate readings). If you see your volts are higher then 1.15, then your successful!!! The volts you want to get is around 1.28(what I have and 800 core is stable) Max the cards can handle 1.5 and I DON'T recommend it because it will terribly shorten your graphic card's life! Once you are successful with what you want, take black tape and cover that spot!! Next take some painters tape and make it slightly bigger over it and apply force! Reason for so much tape is because if the graphite moves or changes your card will be UNSTABLE and you don't want that!

To normally oc your card, get Riva tunner/CCC controller/ your favorite one. Also get Atitool to find artifacts. Set core and mem 50mhz on each( just about all cards can handle increase of 50). Then increase 5mhz intervals and stress test each time you up it. When you get artifacts
lower it by 5 and test for a very long time. Once stable, set it to stock. Then do the same thing to the memory. Once that is done, then apply both speeds and test. If stable, you should be good to go but don't forget some games are fine with higher oc's then others, so find a healthy medium between the 2.

Well folks, thats it for modding a 4830 Sapphire! Hope you liked my card and this review!!!

For all you who read this and feel like a man, you deserve some pusy!!!!

Attachment 106462

Yes that is my 16 pound cat ^_^

Still working on it. Will include more pics and other sorts. As of now to many people wanted it so I must post! Will include later my 3dmark06 and more upto date photos of my card and temps.

Side note for all you pencil modders: The pencil mod doesn't increase the volts to your gpu, just increases the POTENTIAL draw needed for your graphic card.

I know it sounds weird, but did many tests on it. So this is how it goes:

I put a 1.4 volt pencil mod(used a voltage checker). It ran 1.15(normal for idle and ran 1.4 volts for oc. Issue was that if I oced higher, volts go up, oced lower, volts go down. Funny thing is its trial and error to finding the correct amount. All in all, if you do pencil mod, try getting the highest you want/stable and not mess with it or you will have to keep changing the amount shaded on that spot. For instance; 1.34 volts shown for 800mhz core will be around 1.4 for about 840mhz. Sounds weird but it is what I learned and wounder why it kept changing and thought my pencil was off but now have found out it was ever changing volts! So if you pencil mod your card and put stock clocks, your volts will go way down and in idle will go down also.

Enjoy!

CONCLUSION: DID CONFIRM IT BEAT A STOCK 4870!!!!
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Congrats on the mod...looks pretty dangerous.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I wanted to try this out but RBE keeps telling me it can't detect an ATI card and to try running atiflash manually. I do that then it tells me that the version is not compatible with the version of windows your running. I also tried ATI Winflash and I get the same thing in RBE but nothing when I run it directly.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Looks good, I need to make an MSI one sometime.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GT: Your clocks seems to high for it to work and go into CCC controller to turn on the gpu recovery option so you don't screw it up.

Stampede: Run fur mark for more then 5 minutes, try doing it for 10 with extreme burn in, max AA, your maximum screen resolution and see how it goes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeah i could only get it at 700/1000 at 1.15 volts, won't go any higher without artifacting or crashing. I'll get a screenshot up soon, thanks for the guide. I'll probably try going higher later on as i just got this system less than a month ago.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.