Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering If I could get a few opinions on the cooling of the Sapphire 7850 VRMs.

The stock setup has a cover plate that goes over the VRMs, and are passively cooled. I have a 90mm fan blowing on the VRMs (H70 cooled chip) right now to keep them cool. Benching and heavy gaming, the VRM cover plate gets pretty warm, almost too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.

I'm thinking the cover plate is actually hurting more than helping, so would removing that plate and cooling with a 90mm fan have any benefits over stock?

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
No it wouldn't.. You could try getting a packet of copper heatsyncs and taping/gluing them down with the fan on top would be amazing!
smile.gif

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

I was wondering If I could get a few opinions on the cooling of the Sapphire 7850 VRMs.

The stock setup has a cover plate that goes over the VRMs, and are passively cooled. I have a 90mm fan blowing on the VRMs (H70 cooled chip) right now to keep them cool. Benching and heavy gaming, the VRM cover plate gets pretty warm, almost too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.

I'm thinking the cover plate is actually hurting more than helping, so would removing that plate and cooling with a 90mm fan have any benefits over stock?
There are a couple of 7850 models, mind sharing a link to show which model you have?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

No it wouldn't.. You could try getting a packet of copper heatsyncs and taping/gluing them down with the fan on top would be amazing!
smile.gif
Thought about that, but I wish there were mounting holes instead of stick on only. It actually never throttles in Furmark even with 1.3v, so I'm assuming its safe but that cover plate gets very hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runs2far View Post

Quote:

There are a couple of 7850 models, mind sharing a link to show which model you have?
Sorry, should have posted that.

Its this one below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102986

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:

Thought about that, but I wish there were mounting holes instead of stick on only. It actually never throttles in Furmark even with 1.3v, so I'm assuming its safe but that cover plate gets very hot.
Maybe put the heatsyncs on the plate? It won't be as good.. But that would work better maybe, I'd get some tape personally!
smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts