Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to kind of regretting choosing sapphire, logicaly thinking doesn't Sapphire bin the good 7970 to become those high OC cards that they release in couple of months?

I mean if the Atomic makes 1300mhz on core it means Sapphire took all the ones that handled that so it decreases the amount of good reference 7970 for sapphire compared to something like a reference powercolor which has more good OC cards 7970 with better OC potential?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Why would you need to OC (or room to OC) if the card start that much higher? Sapphire makes great cards and i will never buy any other brand.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sapphire cards are win.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
NO ... It Doesn't work that way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

... logicaly thinking doesn't Sapphire bin the good 7970 to become those high OC cards that they release in couple of months?
I'm starting to kind of regretting choosing sapphire ...
The manufacturers don't take the time to try and OC each and every GPU chip they get from AMD and then pick and choose which ones to use on the cheaper models versus installing on the more expensive cards ... at least I've never heard of any that do that ? and I'd think it would not only be cost prohibitive, but would obviously hinder sales of the cheaper cards.

Generally the more expensive units are so because of OTHER components that the manufacturer has decided to improve upon ...

Take your Sapphire HD-6950 DIRT3 edition card as example against my Sapphire HD-6950 TOXIC edition card.

The REASONS the TOXIC edition card is more expensive isn't the GPU Chip per say, it's other upgrades my TOXIC has that are not apart of your DIRT3 edition ...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1149079/sapphire-toxic-hd-6950-70-owners-club-informational-thread/180#post_15574138

In this post I list most all of the "SPECIAL" Features that make the TOXIC Edition such a special HD-6950, your DIRT3 edition has maybe 1 or 2 of these features.

·
Banned
518 Posts
My Sapphire GPU seems to be a pretty good one. 1125 on the core and temps are still less than my 6970, they didn't change much. I don't think they're withholding the good ones for OC versions, its as always just based on luck. Speaking of my 6970, that was a CRAP chip haha. I did not get so lucky that time.

Oh and that 6970 was Powercolor!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
i would sure hope not, From what ive heard Asus and Sapphire are the best to get cards from. my old reference sapphire 5870 can do 1000/1300
wheee.gif

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Reference cards are not binned.

Higher end cards SOMETIMES have chips that have been picked because they tested better than others but doesn't mean they will overclock better.

·
Facepalm
9,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslm View Post

My Sapphire GPU seems to be a pretty good one. 1125 on the core and temps are still less than my 6970, they didn't change much. I don't think they're withholding the good ones for OC versions, its as always just based on luck. Speaking of my 6970, that was a CRAP chip haha. I did not get so lucky that time.
Oh and that 6970 was Powercolor!
Dude, what are you smoking?
My 6970 was the WORST GPU ON THE PLANET. It needed 1.2v just to do 930 mhz on the core rock stable, and 940 mhz was only doable at 1.225v if I could keep the card cool enough, otherwise I needed 1.25v. And due to a slightly 'dented' part of the heatsink, it would get up to 90C at 1.25v in certain shader heavy games, like Sacred 2 (especially by any large body of water, or in a dungeon where the fps went up).

I had just bad luck getting good clocking chips, ever since I had a coppermine 600e which did 900 @ 1.65v (stock) rock stable and 930 mhz at 1.7v stable. My second 2600k is decent, but nowhere near past "Good" (5 ghz @ 1.44v).

Finally won the silcon lottery since my HD 7970 does 1150 mhz/1575 mhz at stock volts. Haven't pushed it further to find the limit...would be nice if I had a super king godly board like the other guy on [H] that does 1200/1600 stock, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts