Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one experienced a problem with the sapphire ati 5770 cards, with holding stock core/mem settings within CCC?
cpu-z reports the gpu at 300/600
uninstalled all ati apps. drivers
swept with driver sweeper..
double check reg....
no matter what driver or CCC build issue still occurs...ati over drive does not hold stock settings,,even with recovery feature ticked.....gpu settings seem to float..and again cpu-z reports totaly diff. values...

only work around i found was to uninstall all ati apps. and drivers,,,
sweep with driver sweeper
install latest driver for the sappire radeon hd 5770...
and install ati tray tools...
the ati tray tools has a force clock settings.. option..
now cpu-z reports the correct values...also seems that the voltage was set at .95 were as the req. voltage setting is 1.125 with is also required to power up gpu to correct value....
all in all i am asking am i the only one who has had such a hassel with the card ? please reply it may make me sleep better...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Most ATi cards (from my knowledge) downclock when not in heavy use.

My 5770 when not in use goes down to 400/900 when not working and my 5750 does the same to 157/300

Install GPUz and stress it and see if the clocks go up just to make sure

Power saving ability, try running a stress test, and see if that changes the story

BTW, it also undervolts the card when in power saving

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok that i understand.. same as the pc8500 by oCZ not having enough headroom to over clock drasticly.. unless settings are reduced to a 400 Mhz range versus 533 Mhz with limited oc cap.
so..
will the force of clock settings damage the card?
and should i revert back to using the CCC and not worry what CPU-Z reports?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Lol.... why the hell do you want your card to run at max spesifications when you're not even using the card?

Geez, remove the forced settings and let it stay downclocked when not in use....

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabledog2tuff4u;13130378
ok that i understand.. same as the pc8500 by oCZ not having enough headroom to over clock drasticly.. unless settings are reduced to a 400 Mhz range versus 533 Mhz with limited oc cap.
so..
will the force of clock settings damage the card?
and should i revert back to using the CCC and not worry what CPU-Z reports?
Memory has nothing to due with what's happening with your video card. It's not about overclocking headroom at all.

It's called PowerPlay. When the card is in 2D, it will clock to the lowest rate, when you're watching something like a YouTube video it will go to a slightly higher clock rate, then when in 3D it ramps up to full clocks. It's designed to save power and make the card run cooler.

If you're not having any problems, then just leave it like it is. If you really want to you can force the real 3D clocks all the time but this is going to make the card run hotter and arguably decrease the lifespan of the card. I see no point to run full 3D clocks 24/7 on any video card. Even if you're running 2 monitors the ATI driver software is usually smart enough to fix the clocks so you don't get random desktop crashes and what not.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefy
View Post

Lol.... why the hell do you want your card to run at max spesifications when you're not even using the card?

Geez, remove the forced settings and let it stay downclocked when not in use....

i agree with this... run gpu-z when you have a game or benchmark running, youll see that it will match your specific clocks in ccc or msi afterburner, etc. ( i reccomend msi ab, great gpu program)

but yes.. let it stay downclocked, it wont DAMAGE your card but it will cause needless stress and MAY shorten its life span.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok great... that helps and answers my question ...
i will revert back to the CCC...
i am totaly satisfied with the over all performance of the card...upgraded from a
radeon hd4650...
i will post tomorrow ..with the gpuz results..thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you for the quick replies....
the gpuz reports exactly as card specs..
i was worried because i thought i had maybe a bad card....
i had upgraded from a hd radeon 4650 to the sapphire 5770 1 gig juniper ...
the 4650 never floated..mem or core...so when i installed the 5770 i got worried ..
thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts