Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I emailed sapphire and asked them if I could remove the cooler to replace the thermal paste and the rep said as long as the card was in its original form it was fine. I then showed him/her the paragraph in their warranty faq that said you could not remove the cooler. He/she then responded again that it was fine as long as it was in its original form.

So am I covered by this or would I be screwed if I tried to rma it and they saw I used different thermal paste

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
So long as everything looks factory it'll be fine - they're not going to be able to tell if you used a different TIM.
From personal experience though, Sapphire does use good quality TIM; if replaced it on a few different cards I've had from them and it rarely ever made a difference of even 1c (which would be expected in that case).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to replace the cooler itself and just asked about the TIM because if I ever rma'd it, I would put the stock cooler back on. I guess my question is more, how powerful is the tech's answer. If sapphire wanted to refuse me, would that email hold weight

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsa_orlong;13118538
I was going to replace the cooler itself and just asked about the TIM because if I ever rma'd it, I would put the stock cooler back on. I guess my question is more, how powerful is the tech's answer. If sapphire wanted to refuse me, would that email hold weight
You could present it, but at the end of the day their warranty terms would reign supreme I'd think.
Again that's a big IF because unless you supremely botch up putting the stock cooler back on they're not going to know/care
wink.gif

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I don't think that most companies will mind you replacing the TIM (since they wouldn't know anyways) but I'd still hold onto the email in case of anything weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts