Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the Sapphire Rx 590 to hold me over until the Navi offerings settle down. I know it isn't expected to overclock much, but I'm seeing what I can get out of it. I'm fine with it for the next few months, so pls no "buy a newer card dude" replies.

Mine seems to run OK with core 1620 Mhz and ram 2225 MHz. I bumped those up to 1650 + 2250 but may have encountered some issues in a game. (a buggy game, so I'm not sure) The higher frequency setup ran the free benchmarks fine, but it did lock up with tesselation=ultra on Unigine Heaven. I have never fiddled with the Vcore.

edit: trying 1640+2250 now which is 2902 points in Superposition 1080p-extreme

I'm curious what stable settings other people use with this GPU?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1640+2250 seems to be running OK without any Vcore tweaking. After deciding to stay with the Rx 590 I uninstalled all the nvidia stuff, which seemed to break OpenCL.dll, but installing the newest version of AMD Adrenalin/Radeon Settings seems to have fixed that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody chats about Rx 590? o_O

1640+2250 OC settings seem stable. I might try 1650+2250 again soon. Right now most of the games I play are early access or otherwise known to be fairly buggy, so when they do misbehave or crash I'm not sure if it's hardware or software. Benchmarks run fine.

With current overclock settings: ( if I interpret my sheet of scribbles correctly)

Unigine Superposition 1080p extreme I get a score of 2900
Unigine Heaven 1080p ultra I get 2920 (tesselation disabled)
Unigine Heaven 1440p ultra 1622 (tesselation disabled)
Unigine Valley 1440p ultra score 2900

The Superposition score increased the most with overclocked settings, and Valley increased the least. The differences between my Rx 590 and GTX 970 showed the same trend

My GTX 970 had 2239 in Superposition, 1480 in Heaven 1440p, and 2875 in Valley 1440p with modest OC settings

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,404 Posts
Nobody chats about Rx 590? o_O

it's a 2.5 year old card, you kind of missed the elusive wave of talkative chatty 590 fans.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's a 2.5 year old card, you kind of missed the elusive wave of talkative chatty 590 fans.

I seemed to remember this model came out about a year ago? I can't be the only dude on a budget :h34r-smi and there seem to be plenty of people talking about much older cards on here.

• Rep+
Reactions: dog5566

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just a status update - don't need any "fix" for this yet: I've been running this card with the same 1640+2250 OC settings since early November, and as far as I can tell the same 19.11.1 Radeon driver. Rarely any problem. However, over the last couple of weeks it has started occasionally crashing with artifacts and blackscreens, or sometimes failing to boot. The new behavior might be associated with running Elite recently, which I wasn't doing before. Crashes usually seem to be associated with booting, games going to full screen, or starting/stopping OC in Afterburner. It never crashes in the middle of a game or during mundane desktop stuff.

edit: Elite is REALLY buggy right now, so my suspicion is that's where my GPU crashes are coming from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man. I can't really help you, but i have the same card. I want to overclock, but it is my first pc build. How did you overclock? as in what software, benchmarks (free benchmarks)? sorry i cant help you, thank you

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey man. I can't really help you, but i have the same card. I want to overclock, but it is my first pc build. How did you overclock? as in what software, benchmarks (free benchmarks)? sorry i cant help you, thank you
Hi - I loaded MSI Afterburner and the Unigine Heaven benchmark. While running Heaven continuously I increased the settings in Afterburner until I hit a frequency where it started crashing. (full screen, ultra(?) settings, tessellation off) I started with the power/temperature limits to maximum, and set the memory speed to maximum 2250 MHz, and then increased the core clock by increments of about 10. The card boosts to 1560 MHz out of the box, and 1640 MHz was the fastest core clock that was stable for my card. I did not change the core voltage at all. That's all, nothing fancy.

The problems/crashes I referenced in the previous post went away eventually. I'm running the current Radeon Adrenalin drivers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same gpu as you and i can only run 1580 (+20) core clock and default memory clock before crashing. Btw its staying at a good temperature (average 65c)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts